• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are already a number of threads on bids, contracts, tribunals, etc so we won't cover those here. Instead I want to focus a bit on the talent.

Last week I had the opportunity to watch England at Wembley (from a very similar viewpoint/seating position to the one I have at Roots Hall) and, while Joe Hart was barely troubled by the Swiss, I was curious to see what an England International goalkeeper offered over our own.

There were some obvious similarities and some obvious differences but the main thing that struck me was Bentley's distribution after claiming the ball. I'm so used to the speed at which Dan distributes with his overarm throws or his kicks that I continually found myself frustrated by Hart. On the rare occasions that Switzerland got a couple of people forward, we failed to turn the ball over for a counter-attack in the way Dan does in just about every game. The opportunities were there but Hart didn't take them. Since Switzerland came to play with 11 men behind the ball, it could've made a significant difference.

In terms of agility, shot-stopping ability, kicking, even presence (which Dan has clearly been working on), I don't see a great deal between them. Arguably, the key things Hart has on his side - and they're pretty important - are longevity, experience (playing level, big games, coaching), and maturity. But all of these will come to Daniel Bentley in time.

Everyone knows we've got some player on our hands.

I wondered what the rest of you see as Dan's strengths and weaknesses?

There are already a number of threads on bids, contracts, tribunals, etc so we won't cover those here. Instead I want to focus a bit on the talent.

Last week I had the opportunity to watch England at Wembley (from a very similar viewpoint/seating position to the one I have at Roots Hall) and, while Joe Hart was barely troubled by the Swiss, I was curious to see what an England International goalkeeper offered over our own.

There were some obvious similarities and some obvious differences but the main thing that struck me was Bentley's distribution after claiming the ball. I'm so used to the speed at which Dan distributes with his overarm throws or his kicks that I continually found myself frustrated by Hart. On the rare occasions that Switzerland got a couple of people forward, we failed to turn the ball over for a counter-attack in the way Dan does in just about every game. The opportunities were there but Hart didn't take them. Since Switzerland came to play with 11 men behind the ball, it could've made a significant difference.

In terms of agility, shot-stopping ability, kicking, even presence (which Dan has clearly been working on), I don't see a great deal between them. Arguably, the key things Hart has on his side - and they're pretty important - are longevity, experience (playing level, big games, coaching), and maturity. All of these will come to Daniel Bentley in time.

Wondered what the rest of you saw as Dan's strengths and weaknesses?

I was also at Wembley and thought Hart looked solid, made a very good save when quick off his line from Shaquiri (I think it was) one-on-one and another decent stop in the second half. It's difficult to judge how far Bentley can go. If he continues his progression then there's no reason he can't get to the Premier League or possibly even international honours with England. Especially with so many cheaper players coming over from abroad now which has lowered the number of English keepers at the top level. That said though it is difficult to say for sure right now as Hart and Bentley are operating at very different levels.

The problem I see for Dan when it comes to International football is a guy called Jack Butland, but beyond him there aren't too many top English goalkeepers of and around Dan's age coming through. I think Dan will play in the Premier League and probably for quite a while, and I think if he does that he'll definitely make the England squad and hopefully make a few appearances here and there.

It's an interesting point that you make about Hart and his distribution. For England he appears to be doing what the team plan wants him to do -being cautious. I haven't seen a huge amount of him for Man City, but he seems to distribute a lot quicker when playing for his club. Perhaps its about the quality of the players in front of him?

Apart from that, Hart and Bentley have the same build, athletic and tall which generates confidence just by looking at them. Daniel is going to be, and is, a very good keeper, but the thing that Hart has which Daniel doesn't, is the nous on handling dangerous crosses. For me, he flaps a bit in that situation. Experience will cure that though and that is the main difference between Hart and Bentley. We know it and now we need a Premier club with deep pockets to recognise it too.

It's an interesting point that you make about Hart and his distribution. For England he appears to be doing what the team plan wants him to do -being cautious. I haven't seen a huge amount of him for Man City, but he seems to distribute a lot quicker when playing for his club. Perhaps its about the quality of the players in front of him?

Apart from that, Hart and Bentley have the same build, athletic and tall which generates confidence just by looking at them. Daniel is going to be, and is, a very good keeper, but the thing that Hart has which Daniel doesn't, is the nous on handling dangerous crosses. For me, he flaps a bit in that situation. Experience will cure that though and that is the main difference between Hart and Bentley. We know it and now we need a Premier club with deep pockets to recognise it too.

Been reading the book 'The Nowhere Men' about the behind the scenes world of football scouting, and trust me DB will be on everyone's radar. Whether they're interested or not, they'll know all about him, in great depth. Which makes me realise, as mentioned earlier on another thread, that Prem clubs or even the richer Championship clubs just don't think he's worth as much as we do. They will have seen things about him or his game which will have concerned them, or maybe its his lack of experience at a higher level, although I doubt its that. Something will have put them off. Hence no worthwhile bids, or bids we consider to be worthwhile.

[/B]

Been reading the book 'The Nowhere Men' about the behind the scenes world of football scouting, and trust me DB will be on everyone's radar. Whether they're interested or not, they'll know all about him, in great depth. Which makes me realise, as mentioned earlier on another thread, that Prem clubs or even the richer Championship clubs just don't think he's worth as much as we do. They will have seen things about him or his game which will have concerned them, or maybe its his lack of experience at a higher level, although I doubt its that. Something will have put them off. Hence no worthwhile bids, or bids we consider to be worthwhile.

Or they're just not in the market for a new goalkeeper?

Been reading the book 'The Nowhere Men' about the behind the scenes world of football scouting, and trust me DB will be on everyone's radar.

That's a great book, and I agree that he must certainly be on everyone's radar. Dan's time will come - it may only take an injury or two to a goalkeeper in the top flight before someone needs him as a back-up keeper - could even be somewhere like City or Chelsea (I see Courtois is out for a while with a knee injury and Cech has gone so not sure who is behind Begovic in the pecking order there).

EDIT: To answer my own question, it's Jamal Blackman who is about the same age as Dan but has only 1 first team game under his belt - on loan at Middlesbrough in the League cup, compare that to Dan who has made over 100 appearances in the first team now!

For me Dan has the makings of a fantastic keeper, he's almost definitely the best outside of the PL and Championship. The problem is that he hasn't had a great deal of exposure to top class strikers at club level, and for some reason never got a look in on the England youth or even u21 levels.

In the last U21 championship squad he was overlooked with the likes of Jonathan Bond (Watford), Marcus Bettnelli (Fulham) and of course Jack Butland (Stoke) in front of him. None of these keepers are first choice and in Bond's case has spent most of his career on loan to the likes of Brackley, and Dagenham & Redbridge etc, similarly Bettenelli has spent most of his career either in Fulham reserves, plus loan spells at Dartford and Accrington (who) Stanley... I'm not saying Bentley is better than Butland, who played for England Seniors at the Olympics, but I am sure he has better experience than the other two?

I think that unless you are attached to a higher league team, or have connections with the likes of Pearce you will always get overlooked.

Interestingly young Ted Smith is working his way through the youth levels, it will be interesting to see if he is considered for the u21s in a year or so?

Personally i would love to see Bentley stay with us, and see us into the Championship, as he is an immense prospect, but I sadly feel he will get more opportunities even as a benchwarmers for a PL side...

Agree there are clear comparisons with Hart, interesting thread.

Different question, but on the same theme; Who is the better prospect, Bentley or Smith, say in the next 2 or 3 years? If young Ted can bulk up a bit in the next 18 - 24 months he's going to be a future star, The FA seem to think so with him now being part of the youth set up.

Last edited:
Bents is getting there no doubt but it's too early to compare him to Joe Hart, a great keeper who even Mr Messi raved about last season. SBH you mention Hart's distribution but I recall one peach of a (quickish) kick that landed on it's target's toe on Tuesday, it even had Glen Hoddle purring.......

Bents is getting there no doubt but it's too early to compare him to Joe Hart, a great keeper who even Mr Messi raved about last season. SBH you mention Hart's distribution but I recall one peach of a (quickish) kick that landed on it's target's toe on Tuesday, it even had Glen Hoddle purring.......

Actually, I was quite impressed with Joe's ability with his feet. He was generally pretty accurate and was sometimes an additional outfield player in the backline. The specific problem I had was when he collected the ball in his hands when, invariably, he'd hold it in his middle and wait for the lines on both sides to reform before distributing. As someone said, that might have been a game plan or decision from Roy (not one I can fathom personally), but I've been so used to Bentley's prowess in this area that I continually found myself irritated that we hadn't got it out there quickly to Sterling/Shaw/whoever so that they could use the space.

Actually, I was quite impressed with Joe's ability with his feet. He was generally pretty accurate and was sometimes an additional outfield player in the backline. The specific problem I had was when he collected the ball in his hands when, invariably, he'd hold it in his middle and wait for the lines on both sides to reform before distributing. As someone said, that might have been a game plan or decision from Roy (not one I can fathom personally), but I've been so used to Bentley's prowess in this area that I continually found myself irritated that we hadn't got it out there quickly to Sterling/Shaw/whoever so that they could use the space.

So quickly you forget my username SBH, life is cruel at times:sad:

I think Dan is better than joe hart and will prove it when he moves on next year ,we had some really keepers at roots hall but dan the best

League two doesn't exist for anyone at under 21 level. He may well get more chances with half a season of league one football

Joe Hart is a world class keeper.. Proven. Dan Bentley is a league one keeper with great potential. It won't be till he plays in the premier league against the best in the world that you will really be able to compare the two. But he is a great prospect that's for sure. Also don't forget, joe hart is still pretty young to

I think Dan is a terrific keeper at this level, but I honestly think Ted is a better long term prospect.

[/B]

Or the fact that they think ,well its only Southend a poor club ,given time we will get him cheap.

I genuinely believe he will be a prem regular within the next five years...knocking on door for England call up. I actually think missing out on qpr may work.out better in the long run for him

I genuinely believe he will be a prem regular within the next five years...knocking on door for England call up. I actually think missing out on qpr may work.out better in the long run for him

Will depend on Bents to continue his form and improve,never allowing the rich life to get in the way,then he could well be where you suggest.

Back