• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dan is still young himself and keepers tend to get better with age and experience. For me he can flap at crosses sometimes, last week against posh for example, but other than that he is very consistent, superb shotstopper, confident, we all know how good he is with penalties, and normally good with kicking .. he will only get better too.

Dan is still young himself and keepers tend to get better with age and experience. For me he can flap at crosses sometimes, last week against posh for example, but other than that he is very consistent, superb shotstopper, confident, we all know how good he is with penalties, and normally good with kicking .. he will only get better too.

Whenever we are really under pressure that's when Dan's handling seems to improve. On lots of occasions when the pressure was on at places like Oxford or Portsmouth he would come for a ball and make it look easy. Its actually his confidence when he commands his box that makes football people interested. Its a great skill that I believe he will easily take with him to the highest level.

I think Dan is a terrific keeper at this level, but I honestly think Ted is a better long term prospect.

I agree, Dan is a great lad and a very good 'keeper with his whole career ahead of him. But I do believe Ted is the greater prospect. Ricky Duncan and Phil Brown have said that Ted is ahead of Bentley when Dan was at Ted Smiths age.

But overall I'm very pleased to have 2 fine keepers to come through the academy and long may it continue.:thumbsup:

Its so hard to judge a future top keeper playing in the lower leagues. Some keepers you have never heard of make out of this world saves, only to play there whole career in the lower leagues. much easier to see a top outfield player starting his career in div 1 or 2 he stands out a mile, you can see he will play at the top. DB, well he played behind a very good defence last season, that must have helped, but i think he will do ok further up the leagues, playing for England, we will see.

I honestly believe in the England youth set up once you are in then that's it, your in... It seems very clique, unless your making an impression in then prem which hardly any young English keepers are, then you don't get a chance at u-21 level unless you've been brought through the lower age brackets. I can't see any other reason why anyone bar jack butland would've been ahead of bents in the past. Experience and consistency should've seen him given a go. You could even argue his far more experienced then butland.

Ireally can't see him being given a fair shot at international level because the fa golden boy butland will always be ahead of him. Not on merit but because it suits them. Ofcourse unless he gets into the prem and shows how good he can be. Even then I reckon butland would be their first shout

I honestly believe in the England youth set up once you are in then that's it, your in... It seems very clique, unless your making an impression in then prem which hardly any young English keepers are, then you don't get a chance at u-21 level unless you've been brought through the lower age brackets. I can't see any other reason why anyone bar jack butland would've been ahead of bents in the past. Experience and consistency should've seen him given a go. You could even argue his far more experienced then butland.

Ireally can't see him being given a fair shot at international level because the fa golden boy butland will always be ahead of him. Not on merit but because it suits them. Ofcourse unless he gets into the prem and shows how good he can be. Even then I reckon butland would be their first shout

This seems very unfair on Butland, he's a first choice premier league keeper despite being only 22. I'm not surprised the FA value him above Bentley, he's facing shots from some of the best players in the world every week, if Butland didn't have something about him Stoke would have bought a new keeper during the transfer window instead of putting their faith in him.

Back