• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So. Humphrys is off..

Humps is a good player, but needs time. The facial injury seems to have really knocked his confidence. Since he got injured and it was a really bad injury we’ve only seen glimpses of his quality, highlight clearly being that goal v Sunderland.

I’d prefer he stayed, as I bet he’ll be the next Ladapo and will come back to haunt us.

But we know how quickly our fans turn against players, it happened to Coker, it happened to Cox, (some fans even slagged off AB just before he went and Anton came in (who also got slated when he put in a few duff performances) so looks like Humphrys is next casualty to our fickle fans. I would prefer to keep him as back up for Hopper and Kelman, but...

I still think he’ll go, and we will no doubt suffer when he comes back and scores for the opposition.

Back on topic - I don't think we can overlook the psychological today, so even if he had a 'bug', who knows if there is more going on that he quite rightly isn't going to discuss in public.

Humps is only 22, so he is a very young man still. He suffered a seriously horrific injury at Accrington last season, which coincidided with us going into free fall. If you remember, he broke several bones in his face, and didn't even know he had scored the winning goal. He had several operations, and only recently was able to ditch his mask.

Breaking an eye socket could have been life threatening, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has also suffered some psychological effects.
So if he felt unwell, regardless of whether he is staying or going, not playing today is totally the right decision. Players are all human beings, with complexities and private needs, just like the rest of us.

Last Saturday we had an impeccable minute's silence for Chris Barker, who it seems (reading between the lines at least) that he took his own life. Who knows what was happening for him if true, and the footballing industry is notoriously and totally unprepared to help. My point is that if Steven needed to not play today, then I applaud him, Sol and the team for supporting him with that decision.

It is so easy to make assumptions, which we all do at times, but we also sometimes just need to take a step back and think.

I’ll forever be grateful for that goal against Sunderland but can honesty say he isn’t a player I’ve grown fond for for some reason. Won’t lose to much sleep if he does.

WTF I would be so disappointed if Humphrys was sold.
Some people feel the negativity more than others.Maybe just maybe he is being coached to come back with the right frame of mind.
McLaughlin and Oxley were berated and then went off the radar. They have come back stronger.
Its a confidence thing.

He has looked a bit lazy and disinterested this season but that could be because the whole place is toxic right now.

Just show some respect for what he's done since arriving, that injury he got was because of his 100% commitment and determination to put the ball in the net and there certainly wasn't anyone else who was looking like scoring against Sunderland either.

If he is on his way then it will be Ron's decision not Sol's as I believe he rates him highly.

I would love to be able to have a system that worked with Hump and CK playing up with Hoppy. The three together ought to scare any defense in this division. If we had a Lennie with his prodigious speed and work rate still with us anchoring the midfield it might have been possible.

Back on topic - I don't think we can overlook the psychological today, so even if he had a 'bug', who knows if there is more going on that he quite rightly isn't going to discuss in public.

Humps is only 22, so he is a very young man still. He suffered a seriously horrific injury at Accrington last season, which coincidided with us going into free fall. If you remember, he broke several bones in his face, and didn't even know he had scored the winning goal. He had several operations, and only recently was able to ditch his mask.

Breaking an eye socket could have been life threatening, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has also suffered some psychological effects.
So if he felt unwell, regardless of whether he is staying or going, not playing today is totally the right decision. Players are all human beings, with complexities and private needs, just like the rest of us.

Last Saturday we had an impeccable minute's silence for Chris Barker, who it seems (reading between the lines at least) that he took his own life. Who knows what was happening for him if true, and the footballing industry is notoriously and totally unprepared to help. My point is that if Steven needed to not play today, then I applaud him, Sol and the team for supporting him with that decision.

It is so easy to make assumptions, which we all do at times, but we also sometimes just need to take a step back and think.

Great post - before I knew he wasn't playing, I was thinking about his injury, how it was very fortunate it didn't result in him losing the sight in one eye and that it could be difficult for him returning there.

I seriously hope Humphreys is just ill today,I rate the young man ,hes still recovering from a very serious facial injury ,give him a break.

Having read Ms Brush's comments I now feel a bit of a ****, As someone that has been touched by ptsd I hope that it's just illness for hump and nothing else

Humphrys is an exceptionally talented youngster. He isn't a sole front runner and given the right service will show what he's worth. I hope for one he stays and proves his worth. We just haven't seen the best of him yet but given how poor we have been up till now there are very few stand outs.

If we get relegated, Humphrey, Hopper & Kelman can easily score loads in League 2, with the right support & services.

Having read Ms Brush's comments I now feel a bit of a ****.
I guess it's fair to say many of us have been a little jumpy with rumours and innuendos these days, primarily as we're looking for some sort of rhyme or reason as to why and how the heart and soul has fallen out of our club. Easy to see a bandit behind every bush at the moment. Hopefully, it's nothing serious. If we could find the special formula for a fit and correctly motivated Hump, he could be dynamite for us.

Last Saturday we had an impeccable minute's silence for Chris Barker, who it seems (reading between the lines at least) that he took his own life. Who knows what was happening for him if true, and the footballing industry is notoriously and totally unprepared to help. LMy point is that if Steven needed to not play today, then I applaud him, Sol and the team for supporting him with that decision.

If psychological trauma really is the reason for not playing then I wish they'd be open about it and say so. Not doing that is a sad indictment on football and shows why there are so many from the game suffering in silence.

I for one would totally support Humphrys and would hope an overwhelming majority of fans would.

If psychological trauma really is the reason for not playing then I wish they'd be open about it and say so. Not doing that is a sad indictment on football and shows why there are so many from the game suffering in silence.

I for one would totally support Humphrys and would hope an overwhelming majority of fans would.

Because every defender he faces for the next season or two would be sledging him about it.

Back