• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

chris wood

Youth Team
Ok with all this talk of our manger moving to Pompey at a real crucial time in our season I do hope uncle Ron has a good plan waiting up his sleeve just in case the bookies have got it correct and he moves to the South coast.
Brown if his departure was say immediate he would probably take his back room staff so where would that leave us?
Although many on here would see this as a good thing I think the timing is crucial to me if he went in close season then its not a problem but to go now would be.
This would make Brown a bigger clown than Barry Fry by jumping ship when things are going well.
I think we have to be careful here as not many good candidates out there for his replacement just look at Pompey they have installed Gary Waddock as caretaker now there is another clown at this level.
In the meantime its about us with play offs around the corner I do hope Pompey and Brown can wait till May.
Any thoughts???

Ok with all this talk of our manger moving to Pompey at a real crucial time in our season I do hope uncle Ron has a good plan waiting up his sleeve just in case the bookies have got it correct and he moves to the South coast.
Brown if his departure was say immediate he would probably take his back room staff so where would that leave us?
Although many on here would see this as a good thing I think the timing is crucial to me if he went in close season then its not a problem but to go now would be.
This would make Brown a bigger clown than Barry Fry by jumping ship when things are going well.
I think we have to be careful here as not many good candidates out there for his replacement just look at Pompey they have installed Gary Waddock as caretaker now there is another clown at this level.
In the meantime its about us with play offs around the corner I do hope Pompey and Brown can wait till May.
Any thoughts???

Certain posters on here will cheer, come up with stupid names to take over the reins and then moan when we haven't won the league by Mid November

UTS

I don't think it will happen, but if it does I think you'd have to appoint Barrett as player/manager until the playoffs are done. It would be too disruptive to get a new man in with new ideas - just look at the mess Brown made of the JPT final. Wait til the end of the season for a permanent appointment.

I don't think it will happen, but if it does I think you'd have to appoint Barrett as player/manager until the playoffs are done. It would be too disruptive to get a new man in with new ideas - just look at the mess Brown made of the JPT final. Wait til the end of the season for a permanent appointment.

Why Barrett? Surely someone with a little experience would be better.. like Coughlan?

I thought the OP said 'if he took his backroom team with him'.

It sure did say if he took his backroom staff.
Its just a cautionary post hoping we have a plan thought through.

Is this all a bit of brinkmanship? From Phil Brown's point of view, he hasn't been offered (?) signed a new contract with us and therefore could well effectively be a free agent in the very near future. He'd obviously be a fool to deny interest in what could be a lucrative and reasonably secure offer from Pompey. From Pompey's point of view, there would be no penalty costs for poaching a sitting manager. I've taken prospective moves for Phil Brown with a pinch of salt....................until now. Bookies odds are not always reliable but it seems clear that a lot of money is being laid on this eventuality. Perhaps some people know something.
The fact that the toted new contract from Ron appears to have been delayed in the post, indicates to me that Ron is waiting to see the outcome of this season before offering him a new deal. failure to gain promotion and no new contract would be forthcoming? I certainly wouldn't blame Ron for taking that position and if it ends in PB leaving......so be it. The alternative, of tying PB (and us) down with a long contract could be a worse mistake. If pushed to give an (distant) opinion, I think we shall be looking for a new manager next season, whether we are or aren't promoted.
I can't honestly see the point of PB moving from a side 'with a chance' of promotion to one that is playing for nothing before the season ends. I feel on balance, a failed play-off campaign would sit easier on his CV than chickening out before the job was completed. Thus, I don't think the above question will arise.

Last edited:
I thought the OP said 'if he took his backroom team with him'.

Fair point, personally I think Coughlan would step up, he was from Sturrocks backroom team as well so not initially brought in by brown.

I say this.. Sturrock could tempt him to Yeovil and we would still be in the same boat:blush:

Phil wants a contract here or Pompey or any other club which offers him any deal,cannot blame him for that.

His current deal runs out soon so this speculation might force Ron to offer him an extension ?

Don't blink Ron.

It's the oldest trick in the book and at least the third time Brown has tried it.

Back