• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onceknownasrab

President
Just say hypothetically, Sainsburys had RM by the short and curlies , and ousted him to suit their own agenda. Would you really be happy? Would a huge business like Sainsburys that has no interest in football be our salvation or the ultimate steamroller that flattens our existence? Can any of you name one person that would take RM's role, do it well and act solely in the interests of the club, whilst happily bankrolling its shortcomings? In the absence of blue 79, is anyone on here prepared to state as categoric fact, with no mere opinion, as to why RM is not suitable? Should we try and get behind RM and endear ourselves to him in the hope he may continue to look for a future for our club?

Just say hypothetically, Sainsburys had RM by the short and curlies , and ousted him to suit their own agenda. Would you really be happy? Would a huge business like Sainsburys that has no interest in football be our salvation or the ultimate steamroller that flattens our existence? Can any of you name one person that would take RM's role, do it well and act solely in the interests of the club, whilst happily bankrolling its shortcomings? In the absence of blue 79, is anyone on here prepared to state as categoric fact, with no mere opinion, as to why RM is not suitable? Should we try and get behind RM and endear ourselves to him in the hope he may continue to look for a future for our club?

You are RM and I claim my £5.

how about the geezer who pushes trolleys at sainsbury in bury st edmunds, i can ask him if you like, would probably do a better job anyway.

I suspect one of the many multi-millionaire Southend fans would take over and bankroll us to the Premier League.

So despite answers we seem very light on facts or genuine names in the hat. Anyone else care to try?

Rubin.

Totally pointless discussion though. No one will stump up enough cash to make it worth him selling.

Terry Alderton will take over after his sold out arena tour makes him a millionaire. He will appoint Stan Collymore as his deputy, with specific control over the car park (at his request).

Nope not any more, I think the carcass is nearly bare and RM is just hanging in there by the skin of his teeth as nobody wants to be the one to pull the plug.

"do it well and act solely in the interests of the club" RM has never done that, in fact the complete opposite, he is acting solely in the interests of himself and that is the ONLY reason he is still about.He has to somehow keep the balls juggling in the air, or the whole pack of cards falls.

Nope not any more, I think the carcass is nearly bare and RM is just hanging in there by the skin of his teeth as nobody wants to be the one to pull the plug.

"do it well and act solely in the interests of the club" RM has never done that, in fact the complete opposite, he is acting solely in the interests of himself and that is the ONLY reason he is still about.He has to somehow keep the balls juggling in the air, or the whole pack of cards falls.

But are our best interests served by his success? Are they intrinsically entwined? I find it difficult to condemn him for having ambitions unless someone can show he has no interest, with facts, in the club at all. We all have to make a crust.

But are our best interests served by his success? Are they intrinsically entwined? find it difficult to condemn him for having ambitions unless someone can show he has no interest, with facts, in the club at all I. We all have to make a crust.

I have always said that Ron Martin wanted to make money and got caught up in the football and wanted to do well for the club as well. The football is secondary though.

I dont blame him for having ambition, I blame him for not having the resources to deliver what he committed us to and almost destroyed us in the process. Even now we only regained stability through 5m given to us by Sainsbury and our future is completely uncertain.

So in answer to your original question why is he unsuitable, the simple answer is he cant afford to run a club.

Who knows how or what state he will leave the club in if and when we get FF...people have asked that question for years and never got a concrete answer from RM and I guess he really does not know himself. The problem is that even if people do know some facts, they are not allowed to be posted in the public domain as everything RM does is locked up in confidentiality agreements with others mostly out of fear it would be made public.

I have always said that Ron Martin wanted to make money and got caught up in the football and wanted to do well for the club as well. The football is secondary though.

I dont blame him for having ambition, I blame him for not having the resources to deliver what he committed us to and almost destroyed us in the process. Even now we only regained stability through 5m given to us by Sainsbury and our future is completely uncertain.
There has to be more to this. Sainsburys have not 'given' us 5 million, purportedly it is secured against land, and if RM was so bad surely Sainsburys would have withheld the cash and watched the club go down the swannee and picked up the pieces and saved cash in the bargain. Clearly, for me, the money boys recognise the clubs/RM's aspirations as viable and worthy of support. Big corporations are not in the habit of shelling out cash unnecessarily or where undue risk is involved. Personally, whether you feel naively or not, I think this new stadium business is a goer and it will spearhead our change of fortune for the better as a club.

Who knows how or what state he will leave the club in if and when we get FF...people have asked that question for years and never got a concrete answer from RM and I guess he really does not know himself. The problem is that even if people do know some facts, they are not allowed to be posted in the public domain as everything RM does is locked up in confidentiality agreements with others mostly out of fear it would be made public.
Surely that's another way of saying we don't know the facts because they are withheld? The facts may not be as damning as many opinions seem to think.

Surely that's another way of saying we don't know the facts because they are withheld? The facts may not be as damning as many opinions seem to think.

Not necessarily... as an example,people might have been shown details of things but then cannot go on to make them public knowledge.

There has to be more to this. Sainsburys have not 'given' us 5 million, purportedly it is secured against land, and if RM was so bad surely Sainsburys would have withheld the cash and watched the club go down the swannee and picked up the pieces and saved cash in the bargain. Clearly, for me, the money boys recognise the clubs/RM's aspirations as viable and worthy of support. Big corporations are not in the habit of shelling out cash unnecessarily or where undue risk is involved. Personally, whether you feel naively or not, I think this new stadium business is a goer and it will spearhead our change of fortune for the better as a club.

That certainly is extremely naive. Sainsburys do not give a monkeys if the club is viable. They will do what they can to get us into Fossetts so they get their store.

They 'gave' us the 5 million which was secured by land, and which will come out of the money they pay for Roots hall to keep the project alive. Letting us go bust would not suit their needs, if we had gone bust we would have gone into administration and someone else would have picked up the pieces.

If we are in the new Stadium with 20 million in debt and go out of business in a year they wont care less.

Back