• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So the Fred-bread is still in the safe...

CC51DAS

President
Surprise , surprise .

On balance probably sound economics from the Club as we have got two decent prospects on loan - (no more shelling out up front , make 'em earn a contract ?) - but wasn't this predictable with the Stadium decision still awaited . Lets hope we get the (positive) decision by early January or sooner as predicted , permitting RM to demonstrate his commitment further.

And lets hope we are in the top 2 by then with Clark, Macdonald and Harry on 10 apiece

Surprise , surprise .

On balance probably sound economics from the Club as we have got two decent prospects on loan - (no more shelling out up front , make 'em earn a contract ?) - but wasn't this predictable with the Stadium decision still awaited . Lets hope we get the (positive) decision by early January or sooner as predicted , permitting RM to demonstrate his commitment further.

And lets hope we are in the top 2 by then with Clark, Macdonald and Harry on 10 apiece

You dont know the club did not try and spend money. Brush said that if we could not get signings in, because other clubs do not want to let good players go, so loan signings are the best that we can get.

Would you have prefered that we had go nobody in?

You dont know the club did not try and spend money. Brush said that if we could not get signings in, because other clubs do not want to let good players go, so loan signings are the best that we can get.

Would you have prefered that we had go nobody in?

I think you may have mis-interpreted CC5's thread. As far as i can see, he describes the loanee's as '2 decent prospects'. With regard to the 'fred bread', I wasn't really expecting to see any major outlay. Notwithstanding the availability or non, It is becoming increasingly clear to me that the sale may have been made a bit hastily as that 1.5M looks comparitively trivial against some of the other transfer activity thats since gone on. Subsiquently, Even if the club spent most of the money on one player, i would be surprised if he was half as good as what they let go.

I am sure when the Fred bread hit Southends bank account,Rons first call would have been from his friendly bank mannager, asking how much of the 4mill debt we have was going to be paid off.

Who the hell do we spend money on? People would moan if we wasted the money on somebody **** and if you look at it there are no decent strikers about at the moment.

To be honest I think the whole Paynter affair is a reason why we shouldn't throw away a few hundred thousand on transfer deadline day. For those moaning - the club was on the border of closing because of the tax man about ten years ago. Ron came in and the club has begun to make profit - but still has lots of debt from previous owners. If this Freddy money has eased some of the financial burden then it is well spent with regards to the club as a whole. We have a very competitive squad that has won the last two years. The stronger we are financially when the new stadium comes around, the better position we will be in to bring in quality players to fill the 22,000 stadium and also push for the championship playoffs.

I'd rather loan a decent looking Championship striker in - Leon Clarke, and a hot shot pacey striker - Odhiam..something-or-other, and sign Charlie Mac who knows how to score regularly for a smaller fee (wages too) then getting some over-rated donkey up front for 500k. Black and Bailey look very good business too.

Well done T&B.

Back