• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So we lost our AAA rating then George

applelover

Coach
Moody's are the first ratings agency to cut our AAA rating. George Orborne's two main arguments against the painfulobvious abject failure of this government's economic policy were (i) we've still got a AAA rating (ii) we're reducing the deficit.

Considering that George has not met either of these aims should he resign?

With a sustained flat base rate and an over-dependency on Quantitive Easing, a cut in Britains AAA rating has been long overdue,

Labours answer would be having Ed Balls as Chancellor which would be an abject failure of the British Constitution.

With a sustained flat base rate and an over-dependency on Quantitive Easing, a cut in Britains AAA rating has been long overdue,

Labours answer would be having Ed Balls as Chancellor which would be an abject failure of the British Constitution.

yeah thats the problem the alternative to what we've got is a joke and thats coming from a tory hater.

Yep, because the way things were headed with labour, we'd have never been in this mess, right?

Clueless.

Moody's are the first ratings agency to cut our AAA rating. George Orborne's two main arguments against the painfulobvious abject failure of this government's economic policy were (i) we've still got a AAA rating (ii) we're reducing the deficit.

Yes but he won't because he's not a man of honour.

AAA rating. Is that a gauge of how much of a scouser you are?

This would, maybe should, have happened a year ago and must have been fully expected by the markets etc. I think that it may be an occurrence that Osbourne wanted to happen as he can then give the a further twist to the austerity plans & also allow Cameroon to pull out of some of the foreign aid stuff.
As with other posters this lot of tories are terrible but the reds would be worse; there is no valid opposition or alternative at present.

Please. Did Gordon Brown resign when it turned out he hadn't ended boom n'bust???

I would be interested to know how/or what you think The Tories would of done any different when the world banks collapsed?

He'd moved up to the top job bythen.

What difference does that make? He massively increased public spending on the basis that tax revenue was permanent because he had abolished boom and bust. He was wrong and his legacy was a 12% budget deficit. Shouldn't he have resigned by your logic?

Dennis Skinner and one or two other back benchers come to mind.

You clearly haven't looked at his expenses claims...

Cricko - probably nothing. They claimed at the time they would have facilitated a private deal for Northern Rock with Lloyds. I doubt that would have been possible. It wouldn't have changed much anyway.

The main problem was not what happened immediately after 2008 but what happened for the 20 years before it where governments permitted mergers and takeovers that reduced the number of banks in the system. They also made it impossible for new banks to be started.

That meant 2008 saw us with only six banks. Letting them go to the wall therefore wasn't an option. This remains the biggest problem with the banking system today.

In my view it is impossible to prevent another banking crash. No amount of regulation or supervision is going to do it. It may be in five years, it may be in fifty, but the banking system as it currently stands would have to be bailed out again because there are too few banks and they are all too big. I would break the current banks up and make it easier to setup a bank by drastically reducing the volume of regulation, especially on how much capital must be held.

My regulator would then ensure that banks didn't become too big so that they threatened the stability of the system. If one got into trouble I would let it go bust and there would be enough other banks to prevent contagion.

What difference does that make? He massively increased public spending on the basis that tax revenue was permanent because he had abolished boom and bust. He was wrong and his legacy was a 12% budget deficit. Shouldn't he have resigned by your logic?

Dunno about resigned but I've always agreed with Bruce Grocott,(now Lord Grocott),who used to be Blair's PPS and was one of my former lecturers at Brum Poly,who was quoted in Chris Mullen's excellent diaries, to the effect that Brown was far too precipitous in declaring that he'd abolished boom and bust.As you've remarked yourself though,hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You clearly haven't looked at his expenses claims
You're quite right.But I'm aware that Dennis is the MP for Bolsover in Derbyshire and maintains a flat in London(which he used to share with Eric Heffer,IIRC).I'm sure that his expenses must be completely in order otherwise he'd have been forced to resign as so many other MP's were.

Last edited:
You're quite right.But I'm aware that Dennis is the MP for Bolsover in Derbyshire and maintains a flat in London(which he used to share with Eric Heffer,IIRC).I'm sure that his expenses must be completely in order otherwise he'd have been forced to resign as so many other MP's were.

Yes, they deploy the defence that it is all within the rules. Strangely these are the same MPs who then acuse companies of being morally bankrupt when they arrange their tax affairs "within the rules." Hard to believe MPs could be hypocritical isn't it?

Back