• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FarmdogSUFC

The Custard Splat - Southend United Fan Podcast
So, PS has gone. A great manager, didn't please all in his time here, but am sure most people will respect him for the way he conducted himself throughtout, never blaming results on the obvious when soo many others would have.

But enough of that, the point of this thread is quite simply, what does the future hold. I have no pre conseptions of Phil Brown so he will definately get my full support throughout his time here (although he wouldn't have been my first choice I like to add). But is there anyone that can produce results like PS did under such ridiculous circumstances? IMO, Brown will struggle to get players he's managed to drop down to League 2, for basically next to nothing. I'm not knocking him before he's started, it's just my opinion, and obviously I would love him to prove me wrong, we sign a League 2 Messi and win League 2 next year.

So is the future bright, is the future Orange (see what I did there?:winking:) or are we heading into dark, dark days and dead end of the Conference?

Onwards and Upwards hopefully. PS did a good job the first two years he was here but lost the dressing room and when that happens its game over. Think RM has made a good choice albeit the method may need looking at. Good luck to PB at least he has time to look at the squad before the summer and see where we need more strength.

Onwards and Upwards hopefully. PS did a good job the first two years he was here but lost the dressing room and when that happens its game over. Think RM has made a good choice albeit the method may need looking at. Good luck to PB at least he has time to look at the squad before the summer and see where we need more strength.

Is that actually true? I know he lost half the dressing room to injuries.

Utter ********.

I think it may of been the other way around..If anything I think he was to friendly with some of the players and that is never a good thing when trying to motivate people. You can get to close to your employees that they may not take you serious at times they should.

Hopefully not favouring certain players and playing them on merit just because "he didn't sign them", especially a certain Frenchman.

I think it may of been the other way around..If anything I think he was to friendly with some of the players and that is never a good thing when trying to motivate people. You can get to close to your employees that they may not take you serious at times they should.

One thing that you can almost certainly guarantee will not happen with Phil Brown. Love him or hate him (and I am acutely aware that he is a very 'marmite' manager - no pun intended there...) he is big on discipline, and, my word, do some of our players need a rocket up them at the moment.

One thing that you can almost certainly guarantee will not happen with Phil Brown. Love him or hate him (and I am acutely aware that he is a very 'marmite' manager - no pun intended there...) he is big on discipline, and, my word, do some of our players need a rocket up them at the moment.

Discipline was a huge problem for us during the Sturrock era. From hotel antics to many suspensions, training ground bust ups and players in court time after time.

But then how could players show discipline when the Gaffer allowed Mohsni back time and time again after all of his antics

Before any of you think this is my first post and I'm Phil Browns agent, I'm an exile who has been using this forum to keep up with the news but some of the stuff being posted now leaves me bewildered.

If you look at the new mans CV he was at Bolton for 6 years as assistant during their most successful spell and Sam Allardyce doesn't strike as a man who suffers fools gladly. The achievement of taking Hull up to the Premiership and keeping them there for a season is outstanding. The other stuff is not so good but what state were those clubs in ? I assume as he has been applying for these jobs all over the place he is coming for 'petrol money' to try and rebuild his reputation quickly and move on. SUFC need success quickly too or the new stadium is a nonsense. The three latest home results just didn't cut the mustard and if he can galvanise the current squad many of who will be looking for new contracts from somewhere at the end of the season then maybe we may sneak into the playoffs. If not. They're not good enough and a clear out and fresh start is what we get. SUFC are not a big club but the money still going into it should be enough to achieve a level up.

Overall we have to get behind him and the team and see what happens but all the dreary negative stuff won't help. Look around at what other managers of any repute would come to Southend at the moment ? There haven't been many better realistic alternatives offered up.

Discipline was a huge problem for us during the Sturrock era. From hotel antics to many suspensions, training ground bust ups and players in court time after time.

But then how could players show discipline when the Gaffer allowed Mohsni back time and time again after all of his antics

I was thinking about this earlier today, and wondered whether Uncle Ron has brought Brown in to toughen discipline up. I was once told by a scout from another club that Harris and Sturrock had reportedly had a bust up regarding club discipline, or lack of it following the 'hotel incident'.

Do they?

Or do they need an arm around them?

The team I saw out on the pitch the last few games looked devoid of confidence. I think they needed a Tilly more than a shouty-shouty manager.

Before any of you think this is my first post and I'm Phil Browns agent, I'm an exile who has been using this forum to keep up with the news but some of the stuff being posted now leaves me bewildered.

If you look at the new mans CV he was at Bolton for 6 years as assistant during their most successful spell and Sam Allardyce doesn't strike as a man who suffers fools gladly. The achievement of taking Hull up to the Premiership and keeping them there for a season is outstanding. The other stuff is not so good but what state were those clubs in ? I assume as he has been applying for these jobs all over the place he is coming for 'petrol money' to try and rebuild his reputation quickly and move on. SUFC need success quickly too or the new stadium is a nonsense. The three latest home results just didn't cut the mustard and if he can galvanise the current squad many of who will be looking for new contracts from somewhere at the end of the season then maybe we may sneak into the playoffs. If not. They're not good enough and a clear out and fresh start is what we get. SUFC are not a big club but the money still going into it should be enough to achieve a level up.

Overall we have to get behind him and the team and see what happens but all the dreary negative stuff won't help. Look around at what other managers of any repute would come to Southend at the moment ? There haven't been many better realistic alternatives offered up.

He strikes me as a man who doesn't suffer people who get in his way. That's probably why Ron likes him.

Hull are a big club. Huge catchment area where they are the only football team that matters (their rivals are the local rugby league clubs) and their ground holds 25,000+. It's not like whoever took up Barnsley, Swindon, Blackpool, Swansea, Watford. They were backed financially as well. He did a good job there but I wouldn't describe it as outstanding, like Tilly's double promotion. Both ended sour as well.

The last three home league games didn't cut the mustard but that's way too small a sample size to be meaningful. That applies as much as to Sturrock as it does to Brown.

I'm not saying we should get in the premiership Yorkshire Blue but just as a bigger town/club like Hull have an expectation the minimum requirement of a manager at Southend is to get out of League 2 in three seasons.

Furthermore home form has been crap for two seasons not just three games.

Well I was at Boots and Laces a couple of Thursdays ago and the players and Sturrock seemed to be getting on like a house on fire so where you get the idea Sturrock had lost the dressing room is beyond me.

I'm afraid the future holds the Blue Square Prem, and do you know the most depressing thing about that is that we may not have too long to enjoy the best catering in the league that is the Kidderminster Cottage pie and home made soup, prepared in cauldrons that would not be out of place at a production of Shakespeares Macbeth.This is real football.

If taking Hull for the first time in their history to the premier league, whatever their size and catchment area, is not outstanding what is Yorkshire Blue ? Qualifying for europe, winning the champions league ? Realistically, we should expect a manager of SUFC to get us out of this cess pit called League 2 within three seasons and it wasn't going to happen.

Well I was at Boots and Laces a couple of Thursdays ago and the players and Sturrock seemed to be getting on like a house on fire so where you get the idea Sturrock had lost the dressing room is beyond me.

It's OK - DWB, it was just a misunderstanding. Probably due to the Scottish Accent - Sturrock actually said he'd lost his dressing gown

Spot-on. And I'm hoping Brown will kick him out pronto.

The future is bright the future is ORANGE WE WILL TANGO THE OTHER TEAHS:happy:

Back