• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So what is it about all these injuries?

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I for one have never known such a season when the whole team it seems is injured and we put out makeshift ones to just fill holes.

What on earth is going on with the backroom staff and training....This just cant be all coincedence.

Something is just not right.

This isn't even just a Southend thing but something I've thought needed looking into now is the standard of boots. They are absolutely horrendous these days. Paper thin with poor sole units.

Bring back the World Cups, the Copa, Puma Kings and the original Predators

Totally agree but just get told that Ben Clarkson is brilliant at his job.

If it is not him then I assume it is down to the fitness and conditioning staff - if we have any.

Having said that i am not sure how broken bones and acl injuries could be avoided?

I for one have never known such a season when the whole team it seems is injured and we put out makeshift ones to just fill holes.

What on earth is going on with the backroom staff and training....This just cant be all coincedence.

Totally agree. It would be useful, provided someone has the data, to detail all of this season's injuries, by type, by severity, and crucially, how they were obtained. My suspicion is that a number were "non-contact" injuries, and some were obtained in a non-match environment.
It's no good blindly saying "oh, we have been so unlucky with injuries this season" and just shrugging our shoulders and doing nothing about it.

Perhaps our "Performance Analyst" can do something useful and look for any common link in these injuries, in order to limit the likelihood of them occurring in future.

Totally agree. It would be useful, provided someone has the data, to detail all of this season's injuries, by type, by severity, and crucially, how they were obtained. My suspicion is that a number were "non-contact" injuries, and some were obtained in a non-match environment.
It's no good blindly saying "oh, we have been so unlucky with injuries this season" and just shrugging our shoulders and doing nothing about it.

Perhaps our "Performance Analyst" can do something useful and look for any common link in these injuries, in order to limit the likelihood of them occurring in future.

I have a hunch that they are all football related.... The answer is don't play football, next.

I think in part, some of it is down signing players who are injured or injury prone. Kiernan, Hyam.

Some of it just bad luck, Lennon

But then you have unexplained. How do you explain losing Hopper and Coker for a season with serious ligament injuries in the same week. Or Dimi doing a muscle. Or White doing a muscle. Or Hendrie's hernia. Or Kyps. Or Oxley. Or any of it.

Have we seen this problem before. Oh wait, yes. Last season and the season before we had extended injury lists (half fit Wordsworth to the rescue).

I don't know much about how you train footballers, I do know that you need rest and recuperation after strenuous exercise. If you don't, you pull muscles. So maybe there is some over training. But that doesn't explain Coker or Hopper or Kyps. Ultimately, it might just be that we've just had the season from Hell.

There has been an unprecented number of knee injuries this season. Not just affecting us but other Clubs as well.

Could this all possibly stem to the early age that kids start playing football. For the current crop of players we would be going back 15 to 20 years.

I know lots of things have changed in more recent years and for the better. One of my many recollections is probably 20 years ago, playing cricket at Woodside Park. There was obviously a major youth football tournament going on at the Football Club. I just could not believe the number of kids wearing knee supports.

Very worrying when I considered that the majority were probably under 11's. Helped me persuade my eldest to leave fooball until he was older and concentrate on cricket.

Mind you can't win them all, 20 years on his knees are fine but his back is a problem.

Just wondered if there was any sort of a link, with both the age kids started and the need to play or train 52 weeks of the year.

Have to agree with AB seems you get a lot more injuries with modern boots, How it affects joints like ankle and knee I don't know but I feel must play a part

Helped me persuade my eldest to leave fooball until he was older and concentrate on cricket.

Mind you can't win them all, 20 years on his knees are fine but his back is a problem.

Just wondered if there was any sort of a link, with both the age kids started and the need to play or train 52 weeks of the year.

I did my ACL playing cricket which eventually needed replacing
:Hilarious:

This isn't even just a Southend thing but something I've thought needed looking into now is the standard of boots. They are absolutely horrendous these days. Paper thin with poor sole units.

In black only as well.

These will sort them out - a bit of ankle support here:

928567E0-3556-4727-B835-0F52AE7AF01D.jpeg

Hyam, Bunn and Lennon are crocks, look at their past history and how many games they've played. Kiernan and Oxley also have a history of knocks. Hopper was bad luck, the others perhaps down to other factors. Coker has picked up injuries consistently since being here. The most disappointing has been Demetriou who has hardly had a bad knock in his career.

Back