• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So who goes and who stays in L2

BriggBlue

Schoolboy
As we stand on the edge of the abyss that is L2 which of our players are likely to leave this summer, either through their own choice (ie relegation release clause) or through the club releasing them.

For a start I reckon Turner will retire and wouldn't be too surprised if Kightly did the same.

Coker has said that he doesn't want to play in L2, which given his injury record recently is a big claim to make so he will be going.

I reckon that Hendrie will not be offered a new deal but White may well get another year.

in goal I think it depends on whether Oxley can be sold, if he is then I'd expect Smith to get another deal if not he'll probably have to go as we also have Bexon waiting in the wings.

Up front I think the front four of Humphreys, Hopper, Cox and Theo will all stay although Cox may tempt another L1 club to take a punt which could free up some cash and open the door for Kelman and Emile, I can see Wabo leaving the club as he just doesn't seem to impress managers enough.

In midfield I think we are stuck with the dross we have unless they want to cancel their contracts by mutual consent which may well crowd out a lot of our youngsters.

Whilst I can see Kightly and Turner announcing their retirements I don't see why they'd not wait until the end of next season since they're earning decent money here.

Oxley will probably have interest from League One clubs, but it really depends on if he wants to prioritise wages or playing at a higher level because I think we offered him quite a lot to stay in the Summer.

I'd like Theo to stay but given how the fans made him an undeserving scapegoat in the first half of the season I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to stay at Swindon where the fans actually seem to like him. (I genuinely believe if we'd kept him then we'd be safe, he might be extremely limited as a footballer but he was great at pulling defenders out of position for his strike partner, and we desperately need someone that can do that now).

Hopper might attract some interest as well since his record when fit is pretty good. I think Cox will probably stay, he's reaching the end of his career and probably wouldn't be able to find a League 1 club willing to gamble on him.

Hyam I can see attracting a League One club, he's looked decent when fit and has championship experience, someone might be willing to take a punt on him staying fit next season. Mantom and Dieng I think we're stuck with (although I think there is a decent player somewhere in Mantom so maybe the new manager will be able to get more out of him, Dieng not so much but it would be great to be proven wrong).

This is a massive problem that could absolutely cripple us. We don’t have very many at all out of contract. I can only hope there were relegation clauses in contracts that reduce the wages or allows the holder to go on a free. If not, we could face a lot bigger problems than League 2

Turner is out of contract this season, I really can't see him getting further offered.

I have heard a whisper that Hopper has a relegation clause in his contract, be interesting to see if this is true, or if he activates it after missing a vast majority of this season, and, if rumours are right, the start of next.

Turner is out of contract this season, I really can't see him getting further offered.

I have heard a whisper that Hopper has a relegation clause in his contract, be interesting to see if this is true, or if he activates it after missing a vast majority of this season, and, if rumours are right, the start of next.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cowley's came in for Hooper in the summer. I know Tom has a property in Lincoln and his family are based in Boston so it would suit him in many ways.
I know they had talks with him last summer as well but he made it clear he wanted to remain in league 1. If he proves his fitness I think we may be forced to cash in based on the fact that we have several other high earners under contract for next year and something has to give.

The next 12 months aren't going to be pretty and in truth we are going to have to suffer more pain before we can begin to properly rebuild this side again. The core of the team is rotten. We need characters, leaders and pace in the important areas of the pitch.
Paul Hurst has a good reputation of picking up a lower league gem and that's the direction we need to be taking in the short term....but will he be interested in joining a league 2 club?

Hard to say without knowing wages. Would be happy to see Elvis, Kyprianou, Klaas, etc. given a more important role next season with some experienced additions and shift the deadwood.

Of those I’d want to get rid of, concerningly only Turner and Coker are out of contract.

GK:
Mark Oxley - Transfer list
Nathan Bishop - Keep
Ted Smith - Keep, unless we can’t get rid of Oxley

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - Keep, if he wants to go or an offer’s made then he can go
Rob Kiernan - Can’t see us being able to get rid of him
John White - Keep and offer a new contract
Harry Lennon - Keep
Stephen Hendrie - Keep and offer a cheap contract
Michael Turner - Release
Ben Coker - Release
Harry Kyprianou - Keep
Elvis Bwomono - Keep
Taylor Moore - Will be back at Bristol City
Sam Hart - Will be back at Blackburn

MID:
Stephen McLaughlin - Transfer list
Michael Kightly - Transfer list
Dru Yearwood - Keep, cash in if we get a big offer
Sam Mantom - Transfer list
Timothee Dieng - Transfer list
Luke Hyam - Transfer list
Harry Bunn - Send him back to Bury
Michael Klass - Take up the clause in his contract to extend for another year
Isaac Hutchinson - Keep
Sam Barratt - Offer him a deal for peanuts

FWD:
Simon Cox - Keep if we can
Theo Robinson - Keep
Stephen Humphrys - Keep
Tom Hopper - Keep, if a decent offer is made I think we might have to let him go
Charlie Kelman - Keep
Emile Acquah - Offer him a deal for peanuts

GK:
Mark Oxley - Replace
Nathan Bishop - Keep
Ted Smith - replace

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - Keep
Rob Kiernan - Keep
John White - Replace with a taller player
Harry Lennon - Keep
Stephen Hendrie - Replace
Michael Turner - replace
Ben Coker - Wants to leave - replace
Harry Kyprianou - replace
Elvis Bwomono - Keep

MID:
Stephen McLaughlin - Replace with a quick winger
Michael Kightly - Replace with a quick winger
Dru Yearwood - Keep,
Sam Mantom - keep
Timothee Dieng - Replace with a play maker
Luke Hyam - replace
Harry Bunn - Replace with a quick winger
Michael Klass - Take up the clause in his contract to extend for another year
Isaac Hutchinson - Keep
Sam Barratt - Replace with a play maker

FWD:
Simon Cox - Keep (play him no.10)
Theo Robinson - Replace
Stephen Humphrys - Keep
Tom Hopper - Keep,
Charlie Kelman - Replace with big target man
Emile Acquah - replace with pace
BA replace

In the crazy business of football lots of fans want clear outs Not just in the summer, January as well and lets have 3 different mangers a season while were at it. Bond isn't good enough according to some after 2 games.

As we have found out this season when your a club like ours changes don't always work. Big changes failed at Chesterfield, Orient, Port vale and Bury.

If we transfer list half the team lets hope someone buys them all nice and early. Otherwise pre-season will be a disaster and we would not recover all season. As Dave Smith proved in 1980/81 and many clubs since. Teams that make 2 or 3 improvements to what they have are the ones who bounce back.

Now is not the time for knee-jerk reaction but calm heads by owners and managers because whoever comes in wont be good enough for far to many fans.....People saying Sam Hart isn't good enough for example.....When in fact he is to good to be playing for us.....As we are at the moment.

In the crazy business of football lots of fans want clear outs Not just in the summer, January as well and lets have 3 different mangers a season while were at it. Bond isn't good enough according to some after 2 games.

As we have found out this season when your a club like ours changes don't always work. Big changes failed at Chesterfield, Orient, Port vale and Bury.

If we transfer list half the team lets hope someone buys them all nice and early. Otherwise pre-season will be a disaster and we would not recover all season. As Dave Smith proved in 1980/81 and many clubs since. Teams that make 2 or 3 improvements to what they have are the ones who bounce back.

Now is not the time for knee-jerk reaction but calm heads by owners and managers because whoever comes in wont be good enough for far to many fans.....People saying Sam Hart isn't good enough for example.....When in fact he is to good to be playing for us.....As we are at the moment.

I'd keep Hart like a shot if Ben does leave.

Very nice to meet you finally yesterday, by the way!

I'd keep Hart like a shot if Ben does leave.

Very nice to meet you finally yesterday, by the way!

Yes nice indeed, someone had pointed you out before but I never had the chance to say hello.

I would keep Hart but we cant afford him. I can see Ben going along with Hendrie. So even if we survive L1 we may well see new faces at LB next season.

GK:
Mark Oxley - If an offer comes in accept and replace
Nathan Bishop - Keep
Ted Smith - Keep

DEF:
Jason Demetriou - Keep
Rob Kiernan - Keep
John White - Release
Harry Lennon - Keep
Stephen Hendrie - Keep
Michael Turner - Release
Ben Coker - Release, doesn’t want to be here.
Harry Kyprianou - Keep
Elvis Bwomono - Keep - Loan out

MID:
Stephen McLaughlin - Keep, feel with a good pre season we can get the best out of him.
Michael Kightly - Release, hopefully through a clause in his contract.
Dru Yearwood - Keep,
Sam Mantom - Sell
Timothee Dieng - Sell
Luke Hyam - Sell
Harry Bunn - Don’t try and buy, injury prone
Michael Klass - Keep
Isaac Hutchinson - Keep
Sam Barratt - Keep, hopefully he’ll be decent

FWD:
Simon Cox - Keep
Theo Robinson - Keep
Stephen Humphrys - Keep
Tom Hopper - Keep,
Charlie Kelman - Keep - loan out
Emile Acquah - Keep - loan out
BA Keep - loan out
Wabo - Keep - loan out

A central defender, two left backs and some wingers would be good. If we can get rid of some of the ****e I’d like to see us bring in quite a few midfielders. Up top I think fully fit we look good if we can keep them all, I’d even keep Robinson.

GK:
Mark Oxley- Sell
Nathan Bishop- Keep, make number one
Nathan Smith- Keep, number two

DEF:
Jason Demetriou- Keep
John White- Keep, backup
Rob Kiernan- Keep, a full pre-season in him and make him starting centre back
Michael Turner- Release
Harry Lennon- Keep, rotation
Ben Coker- Release, doesn't want to resign anyway
Stephen Hendrie- Keep, rotation
Harry Kyprianou- Keep, backup
Elvis Bwonomo- Keep, backup
Taylor Moore- Returns to Bristol City
Sam Hart- Returns to Blackburn Rovers (although would have him back if possible)

MID:
Michael Kightly- Sell/Release, do whatever it takes to get him off the books
Stephen McLaughlin- Keep, more than useful in League Two
Sam Manton- Sell, if possible
Tim Dieng- Sell/Release... offer him out on a free, just get rid
Dru Yearwood- Keep, if possible. Build a midfield around him
Luke Hyam- Keep, very useful at that level if and when fit
Michael Klass- Keep, backup
Renei Batlokwa- Keep, back
Sam Barratt- Keep, cheap backup and deserves a chance after horrific injury
Isaac Hutchinson- Keep, backup
Harry Bunn- Returns to Bury

FWD:
Simon Cox- Keep, at all costs. Makes captain
Stephen Humphrys- Keep, will score goals in League Two
Tom Hopper- Keep, same as above.. when fit again of course
Theo Robinson- Keep, scores goals in this division as we've seen during loan spell
Charlie Kelman- Keep, backup
Emile Aquah- Keep, loan out
Norman Wabo- Keep, loan out
Amadou Ba- Keep, loan out

Going in to the summer I think a central defender who comes straight in to the side and at least one or two central midfielders who aren't completely useless like the two chuckle brothers we currently start on a regular basis. I think we are more than okay with the goalkeepers and strikers we have if we keep hold of them.

I'm writing this assuming we're in League 2 next season, if by some miracle we stay up, I'll reevaluate.

Okay, the only players (other than the youngsters) that I'd definitely want to keep are Demetriou and the strikers, Cox, Humphrys and Hopper.

I'm undecided on Lennon and Hyam (too injury prone this season to judge). Kiernan I'm undecided on too, but as one of our higher wage earners he's got to go if there are any takers. Oxley's in the same boat.

I'd definitely release:
Smith - Sadly lost his way after injuries.
Turner - He'll probably retire anyway.
Hendrie - Not good enough at his primary job, defending.
Coker - No time for sentiment. He made it clear he wanted to leave before the injury, he's going to get his wish.

The only loanee I'd like to stay is Hart, but he's probably out of our price range. Moore has lost his way and Bunn is too inconsistent and injury prone.

White I'm undecided on, if Kiernan moves on maybe offer him a year, if not I'd probably release him.

Unfortunately everyone else I want shot of is under contract. Kightly and Dieng I'd sack immediately for incompetence if possible, sadly I can't see there being any takers so we're probably stuck with both.

McLaughlin and Mantom have had awful seasons too, however I'd be tempted to persevere with them. IF Macca can get anywhere near his best he'll be decent in League 2, Mantom I feel is better than he's shown this year too.

Last edited:
Back