• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So Who is taking over The Spread Eagle?

If they stopped serving beer in plastic glasses on matchdays their profits would go up when I'm around.:smiles:

they messed up big time when they got rid of sky, lots of folk go to the railway now as the beer is cheaper as well, the spread will go the same way as the lion soon if it carries on as it is.

Looked at it, but as you don't drink enough we couldn't make enough profit. :winking:
If you put your hand into your pocket occasionally and buy a round instead of drinking all your "Slops" it may help. :winking:

That pub was a hive of activity when we were in the championship I remember rolling out of there at closing after a 3pm kick off and you would not be alone, plenty of faces would be there.

Nothing like it was :(

The prices Punch charge for a beer are well over the top.

That coupled with the lack of Sky TV and our football club on a downward spiral, has forced many away.

They need to get a sale now, as if/when we move stadiums I feel it will go the same way as The Lion and to an extent the Blue Boar.

I would be surprised if anyone takes it over to be honest and expect it to be boarded up within the next year or two.

Looking at the details. £28k estimated annual profit, but you get the accomodation free on top of that. So maybe £40k's worth overall.

Look at the decline in sales though. 22,752 less pints were pulled in the last 12 months, compared to the previous year. Thats a whopping £70,000 or so less going through the tills or nearly £6,000 per month!

No wonder the current landlord is looking to get out.

In my opinion the whole place needs a refurb. It is getting old and needs to be made more modern. The Restaurant needs to be re-opened, Sky TV installed and drinks prices reduced.

Good luck to anyone willing to invest heavily in that lot. With the potential for a large housing development at RH to go up in the next few years, there is scope to turn a decent profit. But it will take a lot of money to bring it up to standard.

Last edited:
Should easily be trading off the home fans choice of boozer.. desperatly needs doing up .. and sky t.v...
can be snaped up cheap with the potential ground move but as mentioned could become the local of choice for the new flats/houses and could then go down the food route that tends to ruin most good boozers

Unfortunately food is where the money is and that is how most pubs earn their profit these days.

If anyone took it on it would be a huge gamble and they would need to invest heavily in the place. In my eyes would need to wait for final plans of housing around/in roots hall to be approved then you can assess the situation in greater depth. Another idea is to link up with Southend when they move to Fossests and offer shuttle buses from outside the pub to the new ground on match days. Meaning people can get off at Prittlewell/Vic heading to the pub and then head to the ground via this new link. However this is a far fetched idea and would cost someone deep in the pocket.

Look at the decline in sales though. 22,752 less pints were pulled in the last 12 months, compared to the previous year. Thats a whopping £70,000 or so less going through the tills or nearly £6,000 per month!

That is a massive drop in pints/sales over the last 12 months, is that not about the same time as Ken and Sally left?

No wonder the current landlord is looking to get out.

The current landlord is only a manager, it is the company that employs him that wants out. It is a shame that they didn't look at the root cause of the big reduction in sales over the last few years -- SUFC relegation is just a small reason sales have dropped right off.

The current landlord is only a manager, it is the company that employs him that wants out. It is a shame that they didn't look at the root cause of the big reduction in sales over the last few years -- SUFC relegation is just a small reason sales have dropped right off.

Indeed. As someone just mentioned, the real reason for the decline is the loss of Sally.

i can only assume you are referring to the loss of Sally

Clearly it was 50% Sally and 50% the removal of the Golden Tee machine.

Well, if The Spread Eagle goes that's one less reason to bother coming back for a visit. To be honest if Southend United went under I'd have no real reason to step back onto English soil ever again!

Back