• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sobering..

Yep, definitely some startling parallels.

Key quote for me: "The key question being; Will Mr Allen sack Sheridan or wait for the new owners to make that decision and pay the costs?"

Is this what RM is doing? Is he literally waiting for planning permission to be granted before selling up?

It is madness what has happened to them but they are now starting to turn the tide. They sit 6th currently in a play off spot.
When you look at the current NL table, 6 of the top 7 are recent former league teams.
Hopefully we will manage to be up there or thereabouts next season.

However it required a change in ownership. We have an delusional owner layered in debt and doesnt want to sell currently.

Many here didnt want the Larrson and his group when it was rumoured about a takeover ,i wonder now if that group had have taken over would we be in this mess.

I still believe we would be a good acquisition if we were to be taken over by new owners , we have a loyal fan base and as seen in the past ,if we successful that fan base swells,hopefully a new stadium, we have shown a few times now that a wembley appearance can bring 30000 fans ,yes some of them are spammers or just daytrippers but i can go back to the 1950s when we had 28000 fans versus Man city packed houses versus Liverpool, Birmingham,in FA cup , fans are there they just need a successful club.

I still believe we would be a good acquisition if we were to be taken over by new owners , we have a loyal fan base and as seen in the past ,if we successful that fan base swells,hopefully a new stadium, we have shown a few times now that a wembley appearance can bring 30000 fans ,yes some of them are spammers or just daytrippers but i can go back to the 1950s when we had 28000 fans versus Man city packed houses versus Liverpool, Birmingham,in FA cup , fans are there they just need a successful club.
Times have changed ,people have a far more diverse option for their spare time now

A good mate of mine is Chesterfield through and through, and we have been comparing parallels for a long time. We have both long surmised that our next league clash could be as a result of our relegation out of the football league, even though when we started the conversation we were riding high in league one and Chesterfield were dropping to league two. Unfortunately, what he said to me was true - while they had the owner they did, nothing would improve, but he had such an iron grip with tentacles in every conceivable direction it was not going to be easy. Its done now, and they have new owners finally - but all the protests and boycotts got the fans nowhere. And the same will happen to us. If we want Ron gone, we have to work WITH him and incentivise him to stay true to his word about the ground.

A good mate of mine is Chesterfield through and through, and we have been comparing parallels for a long time. We have both long surmised that our next league clash could be as a result of our relegation out of the football league, even though when we started the conversation we were riding high in league one and Chesterfield were dropping to league two. Unfortunately, what he said to me was true - while they had the owner they did, nothing would improve, but he had such an iron grip with tentacles in every conceivable direction it was not going to be easy. Its done now, and they have new owners finally - but all the protests and boycotts got the fans nowhere. And the same will happen to us. If we want Ron gone, we have to work WITH him and incentivise him to stay true to his word about the ground.
Whilst it is probably true, he has already confirmed recently that he will still own the new stadium completely. Nothing will change unless he decides to sell up. That won’t happen until he sells up.

Chesterfield finished in the bottom half of the National League in their first season. They had a poor opening to this campaign but have turned it around and are finishing strongly which will probably give them chance of the play-offs.
We have a population of around 184K, the 35th largest town/City in the UK and if you add in the district we get to over 300K. There is no town of that size in England that doesn't have a Football League club. Our fan base varies but has a pretty solid core. Saying all that in the belief that, when we do hit the bottom, we have the facility to bounce back.

Chesterfield finished in the bottom half of the National League in their first season. They had a poor opening to this campaign but have turned it around and are finishing strongly which will probably give them chance of the play-offs.
We have a population of around 184K, the 35th largest town/City in the UK and if you add in the district we get to over 300K. There is no town of that size in England that doesn't have a Football League club. Our fan base varies but has a pretty solid core. Saying all that in the belief that, when we do hit the bottom, we have the facility to bounce back.

In fact there there is no town that size which isn't a city except for us.

I may be wrong but after the last few years and particularly this season, feeling against Martin by the fan base will make it very difficult for him to reamain. The really big question then, is there a group (consortium) ready to take over the reigns? Will Ron Martin save the tatters of his ruined reputation by a generous sale of the new ground??? IF we get rid of Martin, having him replaced by owners whose primary interest is the club and have a stadium which is ours the future, even from the National League, may not be that bleak. Wishful dreaming???

Municipal population stats are always a bit dodgy but Luton must be in with a shout, Dudley too.

Dudley
Dudley Location within the West Midlands
Population79,379 (Built-Up Area) 312,900 (Metropolitan Borough)

There is however a very big difference between our metropolitan area and theirs. They have West Brom, Wolves, Port Vale Walsall, Birmingham, Stoke and Villa in very close proximity. We've only really got West Ham and they're quite a distance away, relatively speaking.

How does RM selling up help SUFC, though ? Aren't the assets are all in his co. names ? The only assets I can see in SUFC are the players registrations and they are intangible (ie could drop like a stone when we go Non League).

How does RM selling up help SUFC, though ? Aren't the assets are all in his co. names ? The only assets I can see in SUFC are the players registrations and they are intangible (ie could drop like a stone when we go Non League).
I'm assuming new owners would come in with some funds but as I stated above the question and ownership of the stadium is critical.

I may be wrong but after the last few years and particularly this season, feeling against Martin by the fan base will make it very difficult for him to reamain. The really big question then, is there a group (consortium) ready to take over the reigns? Will Ron Martin save the tatters of his ruined reputation by a generous sale of the new ground??? IF we get rid of Martin, having him replaced by owners whose primary interest is the club and have a stadium which is ours the future, even from the National League, may not be that bleak. Wishful dreaming???

Afraid so.Don't think there's any realistic chance of the Chairman relinquishing his control of the club's major assets ie RH and Boots & Laces at the present time.Nor do I see any signs of the cavalry ie consorium on the horizon.Will be interesting to see what happens at that SBC meeting later this month over the FF development though.

Back