• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Social life and its connection with football

seany t

President
Does anyone else find that their social life is getting more and more interwoven with the football fixtures as they get older? I never thought it was, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

For a start, about 6 weeks back, when it was the end of the season and there were Champions League games regularly with english teams in and an FA Cup final, my mates near me were out twice a week easily with the logical excuse being football. Since then, its like they've all gone into hibernation and devoted all their spare time to topping up their tans, even with the Euros just being on. And in fact, our friendships seem to be intrinsically linked with the game, offering up all our best excuses to met up and many of our most fun days out. I've realised as well that without SUFC matches, I don't get to pop home nearly as much and haven't seen many good mates / family members for a while either.

Its even odd at work, as without football to dissect in the mornings we're having to talk about things like F1 and Mugabe. Is this what a world without football would be like?

Full of more informed, attentive, open minded males and loving devoted fathers? Or is this why so many of you own Football Manager - to make June & July go that little bit faster?

She wanted to make the wedding 11th August last year as that was the date of both her nan and grandad and her mum and dad's wedding anniversaries. I countered that this would be the first day of the season so can't we make it the 4th. My argument was clearly more relevant and I won the day.

Not that I would see the first match anyway due to honeymoon however at least the numerous Southend fans at the wedding wouldn't have had dilemmas about where to go!

In all truth football does bring people together. "Wanna come over for the game?" Is the perfect excuse to have a gathering. Like last years Champions League final, I had people over to watch the game. We spent all night in the garden with beer and a BBQ. All in the name of football eh. :)

However because alot of my friends support different teams (West Ham, Man Utd, Newcastle!) then our weekends of football are usually divided with me at Roots Hall, some at Upton Park and the others watching Gillette Soccer Saturday.

Last year though I had 6 spare tickets to the Brighton home game and took a few of my mates. They all had a great time and proper got into it.

I think Football brings people together. But does not rule or dictate my social life.

I met some of my best friends after narrowly avoiding being hit by a burning moped which they dropped onto away fans during a Serie B match a couple of seasons ago.

Back