• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sodje to leave Brentford

From BBC News.........Two Sodjes??

Brentford defender Sam Sodje is set to follow Martin Allen out of the Griffin Park door, insisting he needs to play at the "highest level".The 25-year-old centre-back was part of the Brentford side who suffered play-off heartache last season and the Bees' second failed promotion bid is set to prompt Sodje to go in search of a new challenge.

"Martin would not settle for second best and I am the same. Like Martin, my contract at Brentford has a year to go, but I think one or two clubs are interested in me and Brentford might welcome the fee I could fetch," Sodje told the Richmond & Twickenham Times.

i remember hearing a championship side agreed a fee on him earlier but he didnt leave (southampton maybe?), anyone know how much for?

Dont think he would fall into our transfer fee bracket and if we were to spend big on any player I dont think Centre back is where I would spend it ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Brentford defender Sam Sodje is set to follow Martin Allen out of the Griffin Park door, insisting he needs to play at the "highest level"

Southend is one of the club is playing at "Highest Level"
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ June 06 2006,17:10)]i remember hearing a championship side agreed a fee on him earlier but he didnt leave (southampton maybe?), anyone know how much for?
Yes, it was Southampton and the agreed fee was £500,000. Well outside our price range, especially when we don't really need a central defender.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ June 06 2006,17:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Brentford defender Sam Sodje is set to follow Martin Allen out of the Griffin Park door, insisting he needs to play at the "highest level"

Southend is one of the club is playing at "Highest Level"
tounge.gif
No we're not - highER level yes but not highEST. Well out of our price range anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 06 2006,17:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ June 06 2006,17:10)]i remember hearing a championship side agreed a fee on him earlier but he didnt leave (southampton maybe?), anyone know how much for?
Yes, it was Southampton and the agreed fee was £500,000.  Well outside our price range, especially when we don't really need a central defender.
Sorry, have I missed a signing or are you happy with going into a Championship season with one player who, hopefully, will have recovered from a broken something or other, a second who has put off his retirement from the English game and is injury prone and a third who was looking a bit shaky at times towards the end of last season?

Centre halves get injured, centre halves get suspended. I'd like two more please. One as a regular starter, one as cover.

No...

I'm not happy paying in excess of £300,000 (Southampton had a fee of £500k accepted in January) for a defender that is error prone and would get carved to pieces by the intelligent forwards in The Championship.
MOTD had a profile on him when Sunderland played them, and they showed his strengths, then went onto portray his weaknesses and exactly why he would not cut it in a higher league. He's turned to easily, has poor positioning and has serious lapses of concentration which cost brentford greatly in the tale end of the season.

Over-rated in my opinion...

Efe is the best of the Sodje clan, by quite some distance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ June 06 2006,23:30)]Over-rated in my opinion...

Efe is the best of the Sodje clan, by quite some distance.
Onome is thought to have a bright future ahead of him... IIRC he's only 19 and was at Charlton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 06 2006,20:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
Yes, it was Southampton and the agreed fee was £500,000. Well outside our price range, especially when we don't really need a central defender.
Sorry, have I missed a signing or are you happy with going into a Championship season with one player who, hopefully, will have recovered from a broken something or other, a second who has put off his retirement from the English game and is injury prone and a third who was looking a bit shaky at times towards the end of last season?

Centre halves get injured, centre halves get suspended. I'd like two more please. One as a regular starter, one as cover.
But there are other areas where we need bodies more, so paying that large a fee for a 5th centre-half probably wouldn't be the best of ideas.

I'd like to see another centre-half come in but I'd have no real issues with going into the season with just Barrett, Sodje, Prior & Hunt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 06 2006,20:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
Yes, it was Southampton and the agreed fee was £500,000.  Well outside our price range, especially when we don't really need a central defender.

Agreed, but the point I was trying to make is that we have other priorities. At least we have two central defenders whereas we only have one striker (sorry, Lawson and Bradbury, assuming he signs, do not count as out and out strikers who are going to play 40 games). £500k+ is a hell of a lot to pay for a defender and if we do have that kind of money I'd rather see it spent elsewhere.

Back