• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good player, but maybe with others form, and cover further down the pecking order.
Wish him well wherever he continues to ply his trade.

Any thoughts? Yes.

Overall I am sorry to hear that piece of news if for no other reason that I feel there is far too many players coming and going in "the modern game". I thought Sokky might get a contract extension through to the end of the season and perhaps get an opportunity to impress. It just doesn't seem to have worked out for some reason.

I suppose Phillip Brown believes he can get a better replacement come January.

From what I saw I wasn't impressed. With an injury to Inniss and AB on the naughty step, we need some cover. Obviously Anton and Thommo are going great at the moment but if anything happens to them......

Free up some wages and go for one piece of quality would be my plan, its certainly paid dividends so far. The other thing is that with all these posts about why we have improved, one thing that has not been mentioned....PB clearly gets the best out of better players and the others around them have really upped their game on the back of that. So please no skinny 17 year olds form the Essex intermediate league, thank you.

Ferdinand is one yellow away from a suspension I believe. Who will plug the temporary gap if needed? White, Barratt, Yoof?

I do not really understand this. Phil Brown himself said he believed Sokolik had the capability to be one of the best defenders in the Division. He was harshly dropped early on - to accommodate the pairing of Barrett and Thompson at Sheffield United - and has not had a chance since then to make his case. Maybe Sokolik's attitude in training bothered PB, perhaps PB believes Sokolik's departure will by offset by good local youngsters coming through, or possibly PB has another defender lined up to replace Sokolik during the transfer window? It is a pity because Sokolik seemed to be the logical back-up for either Ferdinand or Thompson.

I do not really understand this. Phil Brown himself said he believed Sokolik had the capability to be one of the best defenders in the Division. He was harshly dropped early on - to accommodate the pairing of Barrett and Thompson at Sheffield United - and has not had a chance since then to make his case. Maybe Sokolik's attitude in training bothered PB, perhaps PB believes Sokolik's departure will by offset by good local youngsters coming through, or possibly PB has another defender lined up to replace Sokolik during the transfer window? It is a pity because Sokolik seemed to be the logical back-up for either Ferdinand or Thompson.

I don't remember anyone at Bramall lane complaining that night.

From what I saw I wasn't impressed. With an injury to Inniss and AB on the naughty step, we need some cover. Obviously Anton and Thommo are going great at the moment but if anything happens to them......

Free up some wages and go for one piece of quality would be my plan, its certainly paid dividends so far. The other thing is that with all these posts about why we have improved, one thing that has not been mentioned....PB clearly gets the best out of better players and the others around them have really upped their game on the back of that. So please no skinny 17 year olds form the Essex intermediate league, thank you.

Despite the current run, and I for one am pleased about it, it is not clear PB gets the best out of better players. We saw with Hunt previously that better players know their business and get on with it. They were better players to start with and the manager has neither made them or moulded them. What appears clearer is that PB failed to get more from lesser players and the ability to do so is the mark of a good manager.

Despite the current run, and I for one am pleased about it, it is not clear PB gets the best out of better players. We saw with Hunt previously that better players know their business and get on with it. They were better players to start with and the manager has neither made them or moulded them. What appears clearer is that PB failed to get more from lesser players and the ability to do so is the mark of a good manager.

So remind me which manger has out of all the players we have released. Remember comments like Barnard will score loads of goals for Crawley. Or Clifford will embarrass PB at another club. How is Pigott or Cassidy doing these days.

Plenty of L1 mangers have had bigger budgets and more expensive signings than we have. Just ask any Blackpool or Coventry fans if your statement of the better players just get on with it is true.

According to CP in today's Echo Plymouth are believed to be keen on signing Jakub. Same article also mentions that King is set to remain with us. :unsure:

I genuinely don't mind him but makes sense IMO. PB clearly wants more quality in January which is exciting to see and there is better out there than him. Free up the Sokolik and Barrett wages (when he's loaned out for the rest of the season), replace them with a top CB and that's more than enough.

Don't understand the King deal though, wasted squad memeber IMO.

Think this is partly one of Brown's decisions which focus on Phil Brown. Leaves us very light for cover if Barrett isn't featuring and with Inniss not back yet. Yet he has barely played, so why did we sign him if PB doesn't think we need that much cover? Odd all round.

Alternatively, Plymouth have got in touch with him and he's asked to go, for which I couldn't blame him. Given a run in the team I think he'd have done a good job, but luck and Phil Brown have prevented him ever really getting that. Wasn't it Port Vale where everyone said he was man of the match and then he was dropped?

On another note, if we're scrapping Sokolik and keeping King then it can only be because Swansea won't play ball about taking him back. Not helping anyone having him sitting on the bench here.

So remind me which manger has out of all the players we have released. Remember comments like Barnard will score loads of goals for Crawley. Or Clifford will embarrass PB at another club. How is Pigott or Cassidy doing these days.

Plenty of L1 mangers have had bigger budgets and more expensive signings than we have. Just ask any Blackpool or Coventry fans if your statement of the better players just get on with it is true.

Barnard was at the end of his usefulness, Clifford had potential that at 25 now has not materialised, Pigott had attitude and Cassidy at 23 needs to pull his socks up as he had something about him. All you have shown is that with these PB was no better with them than any other manager.
We did, though, have a squad earlier this year that did have more ability than the results showed. PB could not muster them. I am glad he has the personnel that can do the business and aid the team and results/performances are great. I applaud the side that he has built but still believe his past record shows the inability to get the best out of average players and we are a club that will always have it's share of those.

Being based in Prague I was happy to see him get offered another chance at the club. I am also disappointed to read that he will not be kept on at least until the end of the season.

If Plymouth is his intended destination and he will get more of a look in there than he currently is here then it makes sense for him to move back to the South West where he was with Yeovil. Maybe he prefers that part of the UK.

I agree with the points about losing the cover option that he currently provides. As much as I have been pleased with the performances of Ferdinand I have been frustrated by the number of bookings that he has received due to dissent. This has resulted in him being as said earlier 1 booking away from a suspension.

Thompson has come on leaps and bounds whilst playing along side Ferdinand and would be someone who I believe could have helped Sokolik develop during any absence. But if he isn't going to be around then we need someone familiar and not a loan signing that would require time to settle in.

Poor guy, hardly had a chance.... think Ferdinand is a hot head, he will pick up cards..oh and that backpass nearly cost us a goal.

Think this is partly one of Brown's decisions which focus on Phil Brown. Leaves us very light for cover if Barrett isn't featuring and with Inniss not back yet. Yet he has barely played, so why did we sign him if PB doesn't think we need that much cover? Odd all round.

Alternatively, Plymouth have got in touch with him and he's asked to go, for which I couldn't blame him. Given a run in the team I think he'd have done a good job, but luck and Phil Brown have prevented him ever really getting that. Wasn't it Port Vale where everyone said he was man of the match and then he was dropped?

On another note, if we're scrapping Sokolik and keeping King then it can only be because Swansea won't play ball about taking him back. Not helping anyone having him sitting on the bench here.

Not everyone and certainly not PB or Demetriou. Just watch the second Port Vale goal. Don't forget his Scunthorpe performance.

I would have thought the partnership of Anton and Thommo would be the obvious reason why he has barely played

Not everyone and certainly not PB or Demetriou. Just watch the second Port Vale goal. Don't forget his Scunthorpe performance.

I would have thought the partnership of Anton and Thommo would be the obvious reason why he has barely played
Completely agree, no-one is getting past those two at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should release/ditch every other option available. Wouldn't take much for Ferdinand to pick up an injury and then we're left with just Dan Matsuzaka or John White playing out of position.

Back