• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Sol Campbell on brink of quitting as Blues boss (The Sun)

If that were the case, and Ron didn’t want AB back here, then why did he interview him for the job, 6-7 months ago?

To placate the fans.

Precisely this.

Our continued existence is the only thing that should matter right now. Remember, at the time of Sol’s appointment, Ron said the club had done “financial gymnastics”, to bring him and his team in.

That’s not exactly what you want to hear, when you’re scrambling around for readies.

Now that we’ve got some form of movement on the stadium front, I believe investment will be easier to come by, although people should be under no illusions, that our overinflated wage bill needs to be dramatically reduced.

When has Ron ever underplayed the money he has pumped into the club?

Given that he has to perform financial gymnastics to pay the milkman I think you're reading far too much into this.

To me he seems to do the same thing in his post match interviews along with making a few gnomic remarks.

He won't be missed if he walks.

I pay more attention to matches than press conferences.

To placate the fans.

Sure.

Thing is, Ron didn’t actually reveal that he had interviewed the pair of them for the job.

In fact, he only acknowledged it weeks after a small group of fans found out & spread the word.

When has Ron ever underplayed the money he has pumped into the club?
Given that he has to perform financial gymnastics to pay the milkman I think you're reading far too much into this.

Given the idea that the supposed wages of Sol and Co. are some of the highest wages we’ve ever paid for a management team, I think we can safely take Ron at his word on this one.

Of course, my stance - as it always has been - is that if we weren’t paying these kinds of wages constantly, then we wouldn’t struggle to pay the milkman year-in, year-out.

Such is life, I guess.

Last edited:
Sure.

Thing is, Ron didn’t actually reveal that he had interviewed the pair of them for the job.

He definitely revealed that he had interviewed them. He wrote one of his rambling pieces on the club website and then had to pull it (possibly because he didn't have permission to interview Barrett).

Given the idea that the supposed wages of Sol and Co. are some of the highest wages we’ve ever paid for a management team, I think we can safely take Ron at his word on this one

"Some of" - so it's not even the most we've paid. He and his staff were on 4th division packages before joining us and one of his staff is on a part-time package. Inflation means wages are going to be bigger and bigger numbers. If anything I think the bigger story is if a new manager isn't on the most expensive package ever.

He definitely revealed that he had interviewed them. He wrote one of his rambling pieces on the club website and then had to pull it (possibly because he didn't have permission to interview Barrett).

Again, by the time Ron revealed it in his statement, it was already common knowledge amoung our supporter base - which incidentally, was another snippet of info that was rubbished by a few at time, too

With the rumour running rife, Chris Phillips started publicly asking the same questions, meaning Ron was essentially obliged to respond to it.

It’s debateable whether he would have mentioned it anyway, or whether his hand was forced, so essentially you pay your money and take your choice. I can see a case for both.

What do you think would have happened, had Harris not left Millwall that week? Let’s say you’re right, and Ron had only been entertaining AB&T for optics. From how I understand it, Sol was initially out of the picture at that point, and the “Larsson deal”, had fallen through at almost the same time.

Ron’s bluff would have been called.

"Some of" - so it's not even the most we've paid. He and his staff were on 4th division packages before joining us and one of his staff is on a part-time package. Inflation means wages are going to be bigger and bigger numbers. If anything I think the bigger story is if a new manager isn't on the most expensive package ever.

I was trying to remain a bit vague.

I could just as easily have repeated the figure that I’ve had quoted to me, but it’ll just descend into the same old barbs from those who get annoyed that I can’t give more detail.

I will say this; I believe the figure to be significant. I believe it’s the biggest wage we’ve payed for an individual employee.

Can I elaborate? No.
Is it a proven fact? No.
Do I believe it? Yes.
Does anyone else have to believe it? No

As I said, you pay your money and take your choice.

Back