• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
His dad did ok for an ex England player.
Well, he drove the bus at Hartlepool, and then decided he was destined for better things.
But remember a disastrous spell with Brighton - then third tier?
I give you: Brighton 0-4 Walton & Hersham at the Goldstone in 1973.

Especially when you’re (in)directly accused of having a made-up agenda against the man.

The truth will come out.
Well, he drove the bus at Hartlepool, and then decided he was destined for better things.
I’ll raise you: Brighton 2. Sheffield Wed. (Warboys and Bannister) 8 .

Gareth Southgate walked straight in to managing Middlesborough in the Premier League in 2006.

I may well be wrong but I can only think about Frank Lampard who's done that as a fellow England player.
FL didnt just walk into a job in the championship, while at Chelsea he did his badges and also spent time coaching in the academy, when he was at City he spent time with the academy and also spent time coaching while at NY red bulls. Not in an official capacity but to learn from other coaches, as Jose and SIr Alex advised him too. He also went to other clubs to observe training to again to garner information on how people coach and deal with issues.

Then the Derby chairman had to be persuaded to interview him, if that had not happened he would not have got the job, so for someone to walk say he walked into a job is wrong (I know you didn't i was just saying)

I wonder how Dieng feels right now. Made the captain by Sol, very much wanted to play under Sol. Bizarrely, considering the timing was offered an extension...

I bet Ron is annoyed at himself knowing he can't offload those wages right now for player the manager seemed to have some favouritism towards.

Ron Flowers was another one.

also- other Englans players who've managed lower down and had some success:
Paul Ince
Emlyn Hughes
Glenn Hoddle
Phil Neal
Mark Wright

Im sure there's plenty more.

Our own Peter Taylor was a League One expert (he was useless in the Championship though).

I think Keggy Keegle started at L1 level with Fulham as well. Both went onto manage England.

Maybe, but he's proven himself to be rather good, hasn't he? Unlike Sol

When Sol has been managing for 14 years, you can draw a fair comparison. Sol was successful at Macclesfield in difficult circumstances, and Houdini couldn’t have escaped from the rubble of last season so I’m not sure I see there is anything to compare between the two.

Our own Peter Taylor was a League One expert (he was useless in the Championship though).

I think Keggy Keegle started at L1 level with Fulham as well. Both went onto manage England.
Keegan's Fulham promotion was one I reported up close.
He had the kind of budget League 1 clubs could only dream of these days - around £10m spent on transfers in 1998 - never mind wages.
Mohamed Al Fayed took care of that, and even then, Keegan needed two attempts to take them in to the Championship.

I've always been pro-Sol, I wanted him in from the start and really wanted him to succeed, not just for the club, but for the man - I've always thought he was misunderstood by most because he was not your cliched footballer - I've read his biography and he's a fascinating character but different to your average football player/manager.

He was sold a pup and given his struggles at his previous job, you can imagine he probably thought 'why always me'. But the more things emerge, the more it seems things were not right. The biggest thing for me which made me doubt Sol was the fact he never seemed interested in coveting a rapport with the supporters - which is unforgivable at a community club like Southend.

Had he stuck around, it would have been interesting to see if he'd have attended MTBD - my hunch is not. It surprises me, he's always had a hard-working personality but I don't think he has ever really had the desire to get his hands dirty at this level - perhaps his sense of injustice (somewhat justified) at not getting a chance higher up has clouded him.

That said, has a manager ever been as poorly treated by a chairman? Probably, but there won't have been many. Constantly kept in the dark about the problems the club faced, particularly during January, it must have been hard for someone of his stature to constantly face the cameras and have to say "I don't know".

Overall, and after a period of reflection, it's probably for the best. I'd still like to see him do well, and I feel a sense of embarrassment of how he was treated by the club. But if some of the rumours are true, I'm also disappointed in him - In Campbell I had expected someone who would really give their all and be willing to roll their sleeves up and get on with things.

Clough had success at Hartlepool because before he arrived they were always being re-elected.

How was Brighton disastrous? That 0-4 was just after he had arrived.... that can happen, just ask Sol.
They obviously weren’t in a good state but stayed up ( a few points behind us ).

Our current decline started when fans couldn’t see that getting promoted on a relatively low budget under PB was a good achievement. Then finishing 7th in L1 was as not a failure as many claimed....

The fans poor attitude to players and managers who they see as not good enough, created a poor atmosphere at RH...AB won’t be coming here, so the ‘underwhelmed’ feeling will continue and I will still be apologising about fans behaviour to angry relatives of players.... And even managers.

I like this picture ... Andy Cole is not in it ... Are you aware of Andys health problems ...?

Been a lot of ignorance on this forum..

I love the headline of that article
The article makes some good points, some of which are undeniable, but at the same time it is unbelievably biased/slanted.
It’s also interesting that ( according to the General thread. Of the article) if you are a successful player you should automatically be offered a job as manager, no other “Qualifications “ matter
The article could have been re written with the opposite slant of there were 4 BAME managers and therefore it was possible ( I’m not saying it isn’t/ wasn’t more difficult for BAME former players). However Sol decided to give Up as he didn’t think it was going to be possible. Maybe if he had stayed coaching and not left football who knows what might have happened?

(Re qualifications I don’t mean coaching badges, I mean personal attributes)

unfortunately because he is such a divisive character it’s too easy to say he wasn’t offered a chance because he was black, or he didn’t get offered a chance because he was a diverse character.

interesting comments on pay and
that seem to be a little inaccurate ( being polite).

ps - im very aware of andrew’s health issues, but as you say I don’t think everyone is

Clough had success at Hartlepool because before he arrived they were always being re-elected.

How was Brighton disastrous? That 0-4 was just after he had arrived.... that can happen, just ask Sol.
They obviously weren’t in a good state but stayed up ( a few points behind us ).

Our current decline started when fans couldn’t see that getting promoted on a relatively low budget under PB was a good achievement. Then finishing 7th in L1 was as not a failure as many claimed....

The fans poor attitude to players and managers who they see as not good enough, created a poor atmosphere at RH...AB won’t be coming here, so the ‘underwhelmed’ feeling will continue and I will still be apologising about fans behaviour to angry relatives of players.... And even managers.
I worked with the guy that followed Walton for the Surrey Herald.
It appears that Clough's presence froze his Brighton team - they couldn't deal with his status.
The original point was that 'names' slumming it in Leagues 1 and 2 have on the whole suffered.
Nigel Clough was suggested further back - but it's hard to come up with too many others that made a decent long-term fist at our level.

I worked with the guy that followed Walton for the Surrey Herald.
It appears that Clough's presence froze his Brighton team - they couldn't deal with his status.
The original point was that 'names' slumming it in Leagues 1 and 2 have on the whole suffered.
Nigel Clough was suggested further back - but it's hard to come up with too many others that made a decent long-term fist at our level.

The Brighton and Clough scenario would never happen now. From Hartlepool to Derby, won Div 2 then Winning the title A few years later....Resigns and ends up taking a job in the 3rd tier at Brighton.

I dare say your friend is right with his ‘froze’ theory. It has been mentioned many times that top players don’t make good lower league coaches because the players can’t do what they expect.

We have seen it in recent times with big clubs in L1... Sunderland and Ipswich both thought if your one goal up keep that lead with some decent football.... Only to draw or lose games.

You get promoted by being tuff to beat. Organised to at set pieces in both boxes. And able to win ugly if you have to....Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton ( a few years back ) and Coventry last year with their 6 points against us come to mind.

From Dave Smith to PB we have won promotion from L2 because of those qualities. Even the title in 1981 was because we didn’t concede goals.... If we can achieve that then the young lads have the spirit and desire to do the rest... And that is something which is very rare in the modern world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back