• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
No .. straight up - thought he did a better than decent job and think all the snide stuff on here is bollox ..

He certainly knew how to get players fit - motivated and playing in a good shape.

He cleaned out a toxic dressing room and has left SUFC with a players wage bill that is about 1.2 million lighter..

He never slagged the club or chairman .. and did not sue SUFC for his money.

Obviously blanked the local journo who then ran a pathetic "he does not communicate" story about 5 times ..

A few miserable types on here did not like his hat ... and had a problem with a really successful footballer in the building ..

Anyway hes gone - so best of luck to him - I hope he does really well elsewhere.

He certainly knew how to get players fit - motivated and playing in a good shape. - Tony Colbert got them fit, although I know he was part of Sol's team. Motivation appeared after the bad eggs were got rid of (by Ron?)

He cleaned out a toxic dressing room and has left SUFC with a players wage bill that is about 1.2 million lighter.. - How do you know Sol cleared it out and not Ron?

He never slagged the club or chairman .. and did not sue SUFC for his money. - his demeanour in interviews was awful. He didn't need to overtly slag Ron off. His body language and his "I don't knows" told a thousand stories. I don't buy that he didn't know anything, he had just thrown the bathwater out by then and couldn't be bothered to answer the questions properly.

I would also suggest that he hasn't sued us for money because Ron knows what his conduct was like and suggested that he leave quietly, without a fuss and with a contribution to the public statement or leave with his reputation and hope for future work in tatters.

Obviously blanked the local journo who then ran a pathetic "he does not communicate" story about 5 times .. - Well that's bollocks. He didn't talk to anyone, not just Chris Phillips.

A few miserable types on here did not like his hat ... and had a problem with a really successful footballer in the building .. - nobody has an issue with a successful footballer coming here to work, unless they are a self-obsessed, childish and slightly odd muppet with no people skills.

Last edited:
No .. straight up - thought he did a better than decent job and think all the snide stuff on here is bollox ..

He certainly knew how to get players fit - motivated and playing in a good shape.

He cleaned out a toxic dressing room and has left SUFC with a players wage bill that is about 1.2 million lighter..

He never slagged the club or chairman .. and did not sue SUFC for his money.

Obviously blanked the local journo who then ran a pathetic "he does not communicate" story about 5 times ..

A few miserable types on here did not like his hat ... and had a problem with a really successful footballer in the building ..

Anyway hes gone - so best of luck to him - I hope he does really well elsewhere.
He knew how to get the players fit, or was it the Arsenal fitness coach he bought with him on big money?

So you think Chris Phillips made up the stories regarding not communicating with the players?

The stories I have heard about him behind the scenes are pretty scary and not someone I want associated with my club. If Ron knew, I imagine it's leverage for a "Mutual Termination"... Wouldn't want Mrs Campbell to find out...

I put a lot of the improvement down to the kids being motivated to play for SUFC. Let's not forget under this miracle man we still only won 3 games and conceded more than you can count on the fingers and toes of a Colchester Fan...

He knew how to get the players fit, or was it the Arsenal fitness coach he bought with him on big money?

So you think Chris Phillips made up the stories regarding not communicating with the players?

The stories I have heard about him behind the scenes are pretty scary and not someone I want associated with my club. If Ron knew, I imagine it's leverage for a "Mutual Termination"... Wouldn't want Mrs Campbell to find out...

I put a lot of the improvement down to the kids being motivated to play for SUFC. Let's not forget under this miracle man we still only won 3 games and conceded more than you can count on the fingers and toes of a Colchester Fan...

Jinx.

Thats fair points Lenny

My support for Sol was purely on a footballing basis and the improvement I saw at the close of the season If half the stories and innuendoes I'm now hearing about SC are true, then there is of course a limit of behaviour one would weigh against the improvement in our play Next manager please.

I love the he gave the kids a chance argument, he didn’t really have much choice!
Very true ! Thanks for that Ron. Young Kenny won't ever forget his professional debut. Lets get some big horrible defenders and let these kids spin the ball around in L2 in front of them. And a likeable manager to support and improve them.

I think poor old Chris Powell buckled under the pressure, not the man for us to be honest, great when we were flying like that night at home to Scunny was it? Brilliant. But when its all going wrong he couldnt handle it and not many can. Look at Tilly, came in and cheered the place up, found a fantastic goalscorer, superb defensive pairings with Barrett, Prior and the likes, showed faith with the great technical abilities of Gower and Maher (who were not much loved back in L2) and just kept on winning games. Then after Championship relegation, still flirted with the playoffs in L1, some excellent loans with Hal RK, Mark Noble, all the while dealing with a wannabe chairman that loved to do a Delia Smith at half time. In the end Ron just refused to pay the dough and Tilly gave up !

Sorry what? Pretty sure Tilly didn't sign Mark Noble

You think they were hired for their skin colour? Of the fact of who they were?

And let’s not forget there are plenty of BAME representatives who don’t fancy management althoghter and go into punditry... Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, John Salako, Don Goodman, Matt Murray, Chris Kamara, Jermaine Jenas, Clinton Morrison, Patrice Evra, Garth Crooks, Rio Ferdinand, Mark Bright, Trevor Sinclair, Michah Richards, John Barnes, Dion Dublin, Alex Scott, Joleon Lescott, Leroy Rosenior, Liam Rosenior, Robbie Earle, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Les Ferdinand.

Thought these were ex LEAGUE managers GBJ, except the handball cheat Henry who managed in France

FL didnt just walk into a job in the championship, while at Chelsea he did his badges and also spent time coaching in the academy, when he was at City he spent time with the academy and also spent time coaching while at NY red bulls. Not in an official capacity but to learn from other coaches, as Jose and SIr Alex advised him too. He also went to other clubs to observe training to again to garner information on how people coach and deal with issues.

Then the Derby chairman had to be persuaded to interview him, if that had not happened he would not have got the job, so for someone to walk say he walked into a job is wrong (I know you didn't i was just saying)
All the easier when your uncle's Harry Redknapp, wrangling his nephew an interview using his name is quite literally nepotism.

Thought these were ex LEAGUE managers GBJ, except the handball cheat Henry who managed in France

Yeah fair point with Kammy, but Thierry Henry & Les Ferdinand did their punditry before going into management.

Fairly sure JFH’s stint with Sky came before his managerial run, although happy to be corrected.

Barnes only had one short stint at being a manager before going on to a varied TV career.

Dennis Wise signed with Millwall as player manager. He fit the bill, because he was an angry little thug.

Only on the football field. He used to live round this way and a friend of mine used to see him in the local David Lloyd. Apparently he was really polite and quiet, and actually quite shy.

I know it's hard to believe, but I trust this friend of mine.

Reactions: GBJ
Only on the football field. He used to live round this way and a friend of mine used to see him in the local David Lloyd. Apparently he was really polite and quiet, and actually quite shy.

I know it's hard to believe, but I trust this friend of mine.

I don’t doubt it.

But my point was, his footballing reputation made him a perfect match for Millwall.

I thought this was a thread about his social media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back