• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
While his off-the-field behaviour was unacceptable, I fail to see what was wrong with his statement.

He had his hands tied back from the first minute, was forced to sell our best player, allegedly didn't have the resources available to maximise fitness regimes or continue them, and was unable to sign players even when he 'signed' two promising additions to the squad.

We would still have gone down, no doubt about that, but if he was able to sign the six players he had targeted we would certainly be in a much better place than we are now and could build a squad that could at the very least stabilise before having a shot at promotion the following season.

I know he wasn't planning to use the kids but some of the youngsters look very, very promising to me and the wins against Lincoln and Bristol Rovers were no flukes and brought smiles to people's faces.

Sorry, who was he forced to sell? Cox? He wasn’t forced to sell him. Cox made a mug of him in a team meeting & never played for us again.

Also worth noting, that Cox had been sulking since the summer, when we blocked his move to Oz.

Remember the “double leg injury” that kept him out of pre-season, but miraculously cleared up when the season started?

I wont mention details on here but before Christmas I knew Sol would be gone because of his off field actions. I said so on here.

When we never got the results in the Christmas 6 pointers, it would appear Ron knew he had made a big mistake....It was the correct decision not to back Sol the wrong'un but hey its Ron so I shouldn't really be saying the truth.

Yes, I definitely don't think it took Ron long to realise that he'd made a mistake and appointed a wrong'un.

FWIW, I suspect Ron backed Sol into a corner when he cancelled his contract. I can't believe for a second that Ron didn't know about Sol's conduct and indiscretions. Under normal circumstances I think Sol would have sat in and dared Ron to sack him. But I imagine Ron told him to leave with whatever pay-off Ron could afford, with a seemingly staged 'pleasant' parting statement, with his reputation just about intact and Ron agreeing to not divulge what had gone on here.

Yes, I definitely don't think it took Ron long to realise that he'd made a mistake and appointed a wrong'un.

FWIW, I suspect Ron backed Sol into a corner when he cancelled his contract. I can't believe for a second that Ron didn't know about Sol's conduct and indiscretions. Under normal circumstances I think Sol would have sat in and dared Ron to sack him. But I imagine Ron told him to leave with whatever pay-off Ron could afford, with a seemingly staged 'pleasant' parting statement, with his reputation just about intact and Ron agreeing to not divulge what had gone on here.

Yes thats exactly how I see it. Any chairman with half a brain should avoid Sol at all costs..But this is football, so never underestimate the consequences of Ranger syndrome.

Just to be clear, I was happy to give Sol his chance and I never had any pre grudges because he moved to Arsenal, he is wealthy, votes Tory, shops in Harrods, posts riddles on twitter. Or even the more bizarre claims he is over friendly with Lennox Lewis.......I judge him on his actions whilst at SUFC. He has got exactly what he deserved, including no funding from Ron.

In the mean time Sol can continue his campaign of blaming his own failure on racism, which sadly many will jump on the bandwagon and agree with him. The real shame is as a club we have a very good record with black players and staff. Even back in the bad old days of the 70's and 80's we were far better than most. The likes Cadette, Benjamin, CP and Stan were all welcome and did well whilst at Southend. Some clubs had refused to sign black players and some other fans refused to celebrate goals by their own black players.

As a footballer Sol had the right to be an individual and arrogant to point of ignoring others. However you wont get picked as longterm England captain if you do and you will fail immediately as a manger as well. It matters not about the colour of your skin, your playing record or if your one of the best brains in football......If you want to lead a group of alpha males like footballers you can be harsh but you have to be fair and respect is always a two way street

As for off field antics at best he was stupid (in reality the man is a class A ****) and for the not so well known offences, sackable in any other form of employment.

Sol needs to take along hard look in the mirror because he needs to look no further for life's answers.

Last edited:
He's used to talking total nonsense on twitter anyway.

I thought with his ‘connection’ to the club he might have had an insight into his activities.

I really hope the press get hold of what he did here and he is hung out to dry for the absolute **** he really is.

I thought with his ‘connection’ to the club he might have had an insight into his activities.

I really hope the press get hold of what he did here and he is hung out to dry for the absolute **** he really is.

I love Stan as a player but as a person he has really shown his true colours again posting some disgraceful and inciting hate over the past few months. What he says isn't all total rubbish, just 90% of it.

I’m now being swept along on the wave of optimism that MM will be confirmed as our manager today.

It’s a strange world as I’d never even heard of him a couple of weeks ago !

so very weird ... shrimpers loving a non league man and hating a big time chap

Think we've dodged a very big bullet with Sol going who just wasn't the right fit for what's coming.Out of the three looks to be the most promising with the Bournemouth connectionJust hope this is the turning point on and off the pitch and MM gets to use any FF bonus with us on a upward curve.
In the same way as we sing “ we hate orient” for no particular reason, can we also have a song for Sol, but with more venom

Loving a manager with success in management vs an egotistical bellend?

Nothing weird about that mate.

oh no ! its a heat wave ... no need to be horrid ... everyone knows I love Sol to bits -

But I do have to admit compared to winning National League South his list of successes do not really compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back