• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell's post match interview on BBC Essex

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Older members only really... but did anyone else hear it and just for a second, at a couple of places, think "Colin Murphy"?

Older members only really... but did anyone else hear it and just for a second, at a couple of places, think "Colin Murphy"?

He generally talks nonsense in cliches.

He generally talks nonsense in cliches.

I have to say I completely agree....I wanted Sol and i am not saying I dont want him now....but I do agree his press work is not particularly polished and I wonder if the players find it as incoherent.....

I have to say I completely agree....I wanted Sol and i am not saying I dont want him now....but I do agree his press work is not particularly polished and I wonder if the players find it as incoherent.....

Sadly they probably do.

How did he get through the interview process?

I can hear his direction to the team during the games AND that is clear and succinct. Isn't that more important than radio interviews where I think his main thoughts are trying to keep positive and not fall into the trap of "outing" players and alienating the dressing room IN PUBLIC.

Yeah, while its nice to have someone who interviews well, his way of dealing with the players behind the scenes is ultimately more important.
He seems to be trying to adopt a cosy-fireside-chat style demeanor with the press which doesn't entirely work although he's still way more coherent and intelligible than Kevin Bond was!

Also, a certain Mr Steve Tilson was pretty poor at press interviews and spoke largely in cliches, but he turned out ok :-)

Not fussed about his press conferences. They’re always full of cliches anyway. What I would like to see is results on the pitch.

No, but it did remind me of Steve Tilson. The guy was a great manager, but his interviews were cringe-worthy.

Its early days yet,I for one fully support Sol.Its so early, since his appointment.In my opinion,Sol was a much better candidate than Larson.No blame should be attached
to him.The situation we find ourselves in is fairly and squarely at Ron Martins door.

Yeah, while its nice to have someone who interviews well, his way of dealing with the players behind the scenes is ultimately more important.
He seems to be trying to adopt a cosy-fireside-chat style demeanor with the press which doesn't entirely work although he's still way more coherent and intelligible than Kevin Bond was!

Also, a certain Mr Steve Tilson was pretty poor at press interviews and spoke largely in cliches, but he turned out ok :-)
Yep who cares if 'like I say the lads done good, played ever so well, got the rub of the green like I say'

Always liked Sturrock interview honest, and straight to the point

Though at times I wish we had Gordon Strachan interview answers

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

And my favourite ever

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Put Lewis Hamilton in a Toro Rosso and he'll finish in the bottom 2 or 3 of every race, There's only so much you can get out of a useless car. To me, that's Sol's position with us currently. You can't possibly judge him yet.

Put Lewis Hamilton in a Toro Rosso and he'll finish in the bottom 2 or 3 of every race, There's only so much you can get out of a useless car. To me, that's Sol's position with us currently. You can't possibly judge him yet.

He even said it himself during the interview. He said he can't even start to make the changes he wants until January.

Rob1920 said:

The above is a great point but....
I think of Campbell more as a formula 3 driver, maybe even still go karting actually!!. A few months managerial experience of a league 2 team only and now he's expected to have the experience and knowledge to know how to manage the circumstances southend are in. Both he and Larson should never have been on the list
We needed an experienced regular points scoring formula 3 driver

Rob1920 said:

The above is a great point but....
I think of Campbell more as a formula 3 driver, maybe even still go karting actually!!. A few months managerial experience of a league 2 team only and now he's expected to have the experience and knowledge to know how to manage the circumstances southend are in. Both he and Larson should never have been on the list
We needed an experienced regular points scoring formula 3 driver

Yes I'd agree, SC can't be considered a top manager yet, what I mean is it doesn't matter who's in charge of the current squad, I doubt Pep would have got any points out of them so far. I do still think SC was the right choice as I doubt we had many other 'F3' quality drivers / managers queuing up for the job. Plenty of serial losers I'd imagine. We needed something different, someone with brains as well as the usual lower league managerial requirement of being able to shout and scream, not yet tainted by failure and who's career so far should gain the respect of the players. I'm keeping the faith that Sol will sort it out given time and backing, and I'm accepting relegation this season is virtually a given.

Yes I'd agree, SC can't be considered a top manager yet, what I mean is it doesn't matter who's in charge of the current squad, I doubt Pep would have got any points out of them so far. I do still think SC was the right choice as I doubt we had many other 'F3' quality drivers / managers queuing up for the job. Plenty of serial losers I'd imagine. We needed something different, someone with brains as well as the usual lower league managerial requirement of being able to shout and scream, not yet tainted by failure and who's career so far should gain the respect of the players. I'm keeping the faith that Sol will sort it out given time and backing, and I'm accepting relegation this season is virtually a given.

Sounds like a fair view of things and a good way to go forward .... Lets hope things turn around

Back