• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Not on Furlough!

Am I the only one that finds all of this a little bit strange? Very strange indeed.
I feel it shows he has no loyalty to the club or which direction it goes on now, I don’t know what goes on behaving the scenes and the relationship with RM but something is not right here.

Most of the people I know who have been furloughed have been contacted by their employer or at least their managers.
I think this just about sums up the man who believes he sits above the rest

Employers have a duty of care towards their staff, the responsibility of which, is usually delegated to the line manager.

That, in a nutshell, is the crux of the isssue.

I’m on furlough and my boss has been in touch at the very minimum once a week.

I have always wondered why it took Sol eight years
to get his first job in management if that is what he wanted. Whether a lot of this chat is pure speculation I do not know but silence is beginning to be deafening from him and Ron. Makes me think the grapevine in football knew something which Ron wasn’t aware of or ignored.

I’m on furlough and my boss has been in touch at the very minimum once a week.

Same here. Not only have I had constant contact with my manager, but my company has gone out of its way to help us in any way it can.

We’ve had daily newsletters, company updates, mental health support & weekly quizzes.

And it doesn’t stop at line managers, we were given access to the top brass, who freely gave out their phone numbers & email addresses so that they could be contacted with any problem, at anytime.

Long story short, the company has not only retained that level of respect, enthusiasm & wellbeing within the workforce, but they’ve actually escalated it by showing basic human compassion & empathy.

Same here. Not only have I had constant contact with my manager, but my company has gone out of its way to help us in any way it can.

We’ve had daily newsletters, company updates, mental health support & weekly quizzes.

And it doesn’t stop at line managers, we were given access to the top brass, who freely gave out their phone numbers & email addresses so that they could be contacted with any problem, at anytime.

Long story short, the company has not only retained that level of respect, enthusiasm & wellbeing within the workforce, but they’ve actually escalated it by showing basic human compassion & empathy.

My company is exactly the same, they have a number of sites we have access to where we can do courses to help our mental state. There is support and lots of bits to do to keep you busy.

Our CEO, COO put out a weekly update and they like yours have offered their support if required.

What makes this situation worse is the majority of our squad are youngsters. They will need all the Support they can get. Look at Ted Smith he fell out of love with the sport and it wouldn’t surprise me if others followed him with the way they’ve been treated during this. These players need to be treated like the human beings they are not just numbers.

Reactions: GBJ

I believe RM whilst not proactively in contact with players has at least been contactable and conversed with some players over ongoing issies(pay for example). Unfortunately what he says or intends tends to vary greatly from what actually then materialises. Hence ongoing PFA involvement.
But at least he will meet or talk unlike SC who chooses to be distant, remote etc. It's not my opinion, just factual he has no minimal man management skills , little coaching experience and no time for those he should find time for.
Examples.....
Making players jump off the coach and train in the near dark on the way to match due to leaving too late.
Coaching the professional league 1 first team by telling them you can't be offside from a throw on.
Traing routines that just don't work.
weirdly contacting a players other half.
Sidelining positive experienced available non injured first team pro's and using untested youth players for egotistical reasons.
I agree with what many posters have said on here. You don't need to be liked as manager but you do need to be respected. He hasn't done anything to deserve either on a man management or coaching front. I do not (unfortunately) feel he has added value to the club or been of benefit in normal times or abnormal times.
What southend got with SC was exactly what due diligence on him would have revealed.
Probably why the macca lads have gone (apart from the fact of the embargo).

What makes this situation worse is the majority of our squad are youngsters. They will need all the Support they can get. Look at Ted Smith he fell out of love with the sport and it wouldn’t surprise me if others followed him with the way they’ve been treated during this. These players need to be treated like the human beings they are not just numbers.

Agreed.

Could of course be one of the reasons why Emile Acquah may, or may not, be refusing to sign a contract extension.

For me, it’s not just the lack of communication, but it’s the refusal to reply to the player’s requests for advice, that sets alarm bells ringing.

Nothing about that, can be spun in a positive light. Absolutely nothing.

I believe RM whilst not proactively in contact with players has at least been contactable and conversed with some players over ongoing issies(pay for example). Unfortunately what he says or intends tends to vary greatly from what actually then materialises. Hence ongoing PFA involvement.
But at least he will meet or talk unlike SC who chooses to be distant, remote etc. It's not my opinion, just factual he has no minimal man management skills , little coaching experience and no time for those he should find time for.
Examples.....
Making players jump off the coach and train in the near dark on the way to match due to leaving too late.
Coaching the professional league 1 first team by telling them you can't be offside from a throw on.
Sidelining positive experienced available non injured first team pro's and using untested youth players for egotistical reasons.
I agree with what many posters have said on here. You don't need to be liked as manager but you do need to be respected. He hasn't done anything to deserve either on a man management or coaching front. I do not (unfortunately) feel he has added value to the club or been of benefit in normal times or abnormal times.
What southend got with SC was exactly what due diligence on him would have revealed.

Interesting to read this, thanks for posting.

Examples.....

I agree with all of that.

Like I said earlier, Sol has been dealt a bad hand, there is no denying it. But he’s playing his cards awfully.

Examples.....
I am not going to comment on most of this. The exception being your views on the non playing of some senior players. Since the end of the season it has become quite clear that some were not played, to prevent a contract extension clause being triggered. In any case the Club have gained more by giving the youngsters games and to be quite honest, I thought they improved the team performances.

I am not going to comment on most of this. The exception being your views on the non playing of some senior players. Since the end of the season it has become quite clear that some were not played, to prevent a contract extension clause being triggered. In any case the Club have gained more by giving the youngsters games and to be quite honest, I thought they improved the team performances.

You’re referring to Mantom, with regards to the contract issues. He was one more start away from triggering the third year of his deal.

Demetriou was the player dropped for speaking out against Sol’s “methods”.

wasn't referring to Mantom, that was understandable

possibly Sol had no idea of what the situation was - no idea of what the EFLs plans were - no idea what RM was thinking - no idea on the future of football, the club - his own situation .

plus some were getting binned off .. and some havng cut to the money ("offered") on others..

I mean how useful was it ...

"Hi Luke - you well mate.. ? Keeping fit ?"
"Hi Sam, you good ? What you thinking these days ?"
"Theo - buddy ... well whats up ?"
"Mark - yep ... the coaching thing not happening - heres the number for Qantas"

It is what is ...

But as you know I am completely biased in his favour ...

I do wonder what RM thinks cos the player's wage bill looks a good million quid per annum lighter ... plus incoming cash from Hopper - plus as you know a clubs most valuable assets are its player's contracts and the value of the SUFC players has increased,,, particularly Kelman and maybe Humphries .. plus the youngs uns in midfield ...

As a business man I would not be too gutted at the way things are going ..

The FF promised land is getting closer and I actually think having the high profile Sol at the club will be helpful for RM and SUFC ...

I preparing for a period of intensive therapy when he deserts us ....
Do you seriously think its OK not to speak to the players because 'there is nothing to say?

I had a new guy start work last month, we are all working from home and the rest of the guys have never even met him yet. He has been working 3 months notice at his last firm.
Guess what, I phoned him every two weeks to make him feel 'part of the team', I had nothing to say (exact one conversation explaining how working from home would work,but I still called him 'because its the right thing to do'. And even though I had nothing new to say he found it really reassuring.

I don't know if Sol has spoken to the players or not, but if he hasn't I cant see how anyone can defend that. I would not want to work for anyone that thought that this an OK way to act

Last edited:
I'm guessing you've never been a people manager then buddy, because what I've highlighted there is people management 101. It shows the people you manage that you give a ****, and if you show as a manager that you give a **** then you're more likely to stoke a good team spirit and have people ready to run through brick walls for you. Similarly, the opposite is detrimental to atmosphere and team spirit which, from what I've heard, the players' WhatsApp group message displays only too well.

It doesn't matter if Sol did or didn't know any of the things that you mentioned at the beginning of your message. It didn't prevent him from being a good manager.

never been a fan of "i am your boss, lets have a chat" ... its sort of patronising and frankly often very intrusive ..... ... but there is about two pages of contributions fom highly successful mangers who all know best ... so I will stand corrected.

Obviously all these grown men need an arm round their shoulder and a mental health check and 20 minutes of idle chatter ... "Hi player - how are you ? Yep... just in the process of decidng your future- Hows the kids these days?"

At the end of the day as he is so unpopular and universally useless - according to the ITK - i don't suppose anyone would pick up or return the call..

As for the detailed analysis of his personality etc - it is quite probable - and maybe sometimes often the case - that to be a really successful athlete or anything - you are an unusual character ..

Of course its football - so when he is sacked with SUFC in the relegation zone of L2 or leaves as a better opportunity has come up at Orient I will not be surprisd

Do you seriously think its OK not to speak to the players because 'there is nothing to say?

I had a new guy start work last month, we are all working from home and the rest of the guys have never even met him yet. He has been working 3 months notice at his last firm.
Guess what, I phoned him every two weeks to make him feel 'part of the team', I had nothing to say (exact one conversation explaining how working from home would work,but I still called him 'because its the right thing to do'. And even though I had nothing new to say he found it really reassuring.

I don't know if Sol has spoken to the players or not, but if he hasn't I can see how anyone can defend that. I would not want to work for anyone that thought that this an OK way to act

If Sol Campbell did not speak to his players regularly during the lockdown period - and this claim may be untrue - that would be a major failure of leadership. A good leader wins followers by behaving in a way that earns respect and also having the capacity to relate to others.

Back