• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol thinks he’s managing Southampton...

A fairly uninteresting slip of the tongue.
Agreed, I am sure he had a head full of things he wanted to say and knew most of them were best left unsaid or very simply and mildly expressed. And he may well have been a tad emotional.

At least he didn't say Southport. Better to be mistaken for a Premiership side.

SUFC is just a time waster to give him something to do when he’s not spending ‘his’ millions, trying to wind up Macclesfield or trying to become Mayor of London.

Easy come, easy go.

If you asked him whether he meant Southend and not Southampton, no doubt his reply would be ‘I’ve no idea where they are. This is being handled above me and it’s not my responsibility.’

More ever increasingly desperate hunting for something that the Victor’s and Victoria’s can find to whinge about Sol Campbell- he is not the problem and is going nowhere.

Seems to me some of it seems quite personally motivated which really is quite sad..

In fact when Klopp spoke on tv recently and spoke about their next match it sounded exactly like he said; it‘s Southend on Saturday. Now if we were the first team to beat Liverpool.........

Is there any wonder Sol’s head is a little bit scrambled right now? Nitpicking for absolutely no reason

SUFC is just a time waster to give him something to do when he’s not spending ‘his’ millions, trying to wind up Macclesfield or trying to become Mayor of London.

Easy come, easy go.

If you asked him whether he meant Southend and not Southampton, no doubt his reply would be ‘I’ve no idea where they are. This is being handled above me and it’s not my responsibility.’
I hold no brief for Kevin Bond, but imagine the furore if he had said it, we would never have heard the last of it.

I do feel a bit for Campbell as a human being, especially the way Spurs fans have treated him over the years. It was 2001, yet he still gets called “Judas”... ridiculous. Ok he’s certainly a character.. he has an awful win percentage.. yes he’s very unlikely to save us from relegation, but if he fails here you’ve got to think his job options in future will be limited. So I think he’d love to turn things round. I think he probably expected to. Seems if he doesn’t, he can now go the “Ron lied to me and gave me no players” route.

It was only a matter of time before people started the “Campbell out” stuff. Just shows that football is a results game and some fans look only at results/win percentage and don’t take any other factors into account. Campbell will know this .. he’s pretty thick skinned.

Last edited:
We could have been in worse trouble during transfer window, Ron put a block on at least two more players Mr Southampton wanted to leave on a free, but was told No
So it’s not all poor me, it’s above that’s the problem

I do feel a bit for Campbell as a human being, especially the way Spurs fans have treated him over the years. It was 2001, yet he still gets called “Judas”... ridiculous. Ok he’s certainly a character.. he has an awful win percentage.. yes he’s very unlikely to save us from relegation, but if he fails here you’ve got to think his job options in future will be limited. So I think he’d love to turn things round. I think he probably expected to. Seems if he doesn’t, he can now go the “Ron lied to me and gave me no players” route.

It was only a matter of time before people started the “Campbell out” stuff. Just shows that football is a results game and some fans look only at results/win percentage and don’t take any other factors into account. Campbell will know this .. it’s football.

Barry Fry still gets called Judas here ....

I wish people would leave Sol alone. No doubt a slip of the tongue, and a comparison with Southampton isnt so bad is it!

All the KB critics (including me) can see that Sol is a much better prospect that Larsson and co, and Sol has to a large extent been sold up the river by Ron. None of this is down to Sol Campbell, and much of the decline was already in full swing when Phil Brown left. He put a long list of those players onto long, expensive contracts and that financial gamble to get into the championship failed, which has been the biggest problem. That level of spending was unsustainable, and we are now paying the price for that gamble.

Small clubs like ours have no option but to develop a wealth of talent in the academy, and grow our own young players for the first team. We have done well with this, but Ron has systemically sold them off too early before we really get the benefits to fund the wages of the older underachievers who eventually couldn't wait to leave.

Ron is the engineer of our downfall, so blaming Sol (and SCP ) wont help. KB actually called this out, but because no-one liked him no one listened. Given the same backing that Ron gave Phil Brown, every single one of the managers since could have gone on to be a huge success.

It was only a matter of time before people started the “Campbell out” stuff. Just shows that football is a results game and some fans look only at results/win percentage and don’t take any other factors into account. Campbell will know this .. he’s pretty thick skinned.

I think it's how he does next year that will define him. I doubt there is a manager on the planet that could have achieved much more with half the squad not wanting to play for the club and the other half being kids.

Back