• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol

Liked by
charliekelmannn
and
solmanofficial I was brought up to earn the right to play and to play to win! That’s how I want my team to play.

Sol on his famous Instagram again ..

I always take Sky's rumours with a massive pinch of salt. I'm guessing the "serious consideration" is actually just them giving Sol an interview to comply with the rule saying you have to interview one BAME candidate because they couldn't find any other high profile BAME coaches that were interested in the job. Even Phil Neville will have more of a chance of getting the job than Sol.

I'm not sure if the exact reasons why Sol left the club although assume it was a financial decision i.e. we couldn't afford him and his team. I also have heard a few rumours regarding his authoritarian approach towards players and unsubstantiated rumours regarding his behaviour.

I do however believe he got the best out of a terrible squad. I genuinely believe things were improving towards the end of last season. Players such as Kelman, Gard, Phillips, Egbri, Clifford and Kinali were starting to show real promise. I know we have lost some experienced players but believe we would not be in this position if Sol had stayed.

It is disappointing that Phillips and Kinali have not featured since MM has taken over. I would also suggest that the form of the others including Kelman post sale to QPR) has deteriorated.

For all his faults I do believe Sol was a good Manager and we need someone with a similar personality to get us out of this mess.

I'd agree that we were improving towards the end of last season and that the form of nearly all of those young players has gone backwards. However it took several months for Sol to get the players to that position and after the same number of league games Sol didn't have a win either. I think it's also important to remember just how unprecedented the lockdown was. Young players missed out on 5 months of development and with Sol knowing he was on the way out and Molesley not appointed until mid-August it's unlikely these kids were properly supported through those months. Regression was probably therefore likely. We see this with the Premier League where the more structured aspect of the game (defending) has apparently struggled since the restart.

Some of the youngsters regression seems to be injury related as well. Harry Phillips finished last season with a long term injury. Aged 23 he's made just 2 league starts and one sub appearance.

Clifford's pre-season was disrupted when he was injured. He's back in the first team now though.

Gard's season was ended early through injury although I felt he'd taken a step backwards before that.

Kinali seems to be more a victim of Ron (with his inability to clear the embargo) than MM. I was pretty underwhelmed with him until what turned out to be the final game of last year. The break came at a bad time for him, depriving him of the opportunity to take that momentum into the remainder of the season.

The exception is Egbri who seems much improved since last year. Last year it seemed like he was only being picked because of a lack of alternatives. We've since signed various wide players and he's pushing for a role on merit now rather than being forced into the side to make up numbers. That's how it should work.

After a world class playing career and a notable achievement as a coach at Macclesfield at Southend he had a team playing to the best of its limited ability at 100% per cent effort. He was not able to sign a single player of his own. I don't see how you can knock the bloke on footballing grounds. If he gets another chance somewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well. I don't know anything about all the other stuff though.

After a world class playing career and a notable achievement as a coach at Macclesfield at Southend he had a team playing to the best of its limited ability at 100% per cent effort. He was not able to sign a single player of his own. I don't see how you can knock the bloke on footballing grounds. If he gets another chance somewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well. I don't know anything about all the other stuff though.
He’d wanted to be a Tory Mayor of London—in our present situation we all now know what sort of clueless “manager” that makes him.

my favourite Sol moment is him giving Hutchinson some first class advice (which he took) ...

but apparently some people did take exception to it ... others thought it was overdue .. and we never even got for a fee for him -

a fine coach and someone who provided real leadership to the playing staff in difficult times .. I see Kelman is among the players liking his posts ...

loved the way he called out Cox after the Dover game

loved watching his team battle for the shirt - loved watching him coach from the sidelines - totally engaged - loved the immediate impact his fitness regime had ..

total respsect for Sol and his positive input to SUFC .

Sol was possibly Southend's strangest ever manager. I heard some weird stuff. And once he had his eye on someone, well. Regarding how he was on the touchline, he was one of the best ever. He was certainly a trier, if nothing else.

Back