• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 1-1 Southend United

Good result today, I’ll admit I was expecting a defeat. I’m really pleased to hear Crowhurst impressed, I thought he looked a real prospect in the Gills friendly. Great for Wreh to get off the mark too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not long been home here’s my take on the game.

First half I thought we were average at best few half chances but nothing too much.

Second half was much better when we brought Lomas on and moved Ralph to LWB nothing against Clifford but I just feel Ralph has a bit more guile and is more of a threat for us.

Arnold - no chance with the goal but couple of other saves the pick of the bunch from Kelly on the 1 on 1.

Crowhurst - this kid is a player, confident and composed on the ball strong in the tackle and got a leap on him.

Hobson - I’ve been a big critic of Hobson but today he was quality won everything in the air and some perfect tackles.

Kensdale - one of my picks for man of the match today, so composed and level headed for a young centre back still learning his trade positionally spot on today and again won everything thrown at him

Ralph - I like him at LCB but wow his such a threat down the left hand side and a great out let for us to play too.

Clifford - average for me got caught out again and was saved by Steeeeeve, just doesn’t do enough defensively or in attaching positions for me.

Lomas - Won his headers and looked assured very impressed from what I saw today.

Miley - my other contender for man of the match today, this guy is excellent a couple of wayward passes but that’s expected with the amount he gets on the ball, tackles today were spot on even fouled players in the right areas at right times dare I say as good if not better than Harrison Neal for me.

Husin - I thought it was a different performance for Noor today, he done the dirty work really well today picked up second balls all over the place won a lot of tackles a real combative performance in the middle.

Fonguck - In and out the game today, shows he has ability to carry the ball just seemed a little tentative to actually do that much today, still not a bad performance from a guy still finding his feet with us.

Powell - This lad has unbelievable talent he just needs to work on that end product his pace and directness will terrify defenders at this level but only if he starts to produce after his done the hard work, again another good performance though.

Wreh - Chris was another stand out performer for me today, not just because he scored and excellent goal but his hold up play and his ability to get his body between man and ball is not to be missed he will win us a lot of dangerous free kicks from doing this, he also won a fair share of headers against 2 centre halves that were a lot taller than him.

Bridge and Mooney - Done what they were put on to do run about and close down defenders almost created a chance or 2 from there hard work.

All in all a very good point at one of the promotion favourites this season with players missing in very very hot conditions.

Last edited:
Can I ask how did Wreh look today, I saw him pre season and looked strong. With the right coaching and a season behind him could he be as good as Dalby.

Can I ask how did Wreh look today, I saw him pre season and looked strong. With the right coaching and a season behind him could he be as good as Dalby.
Spot on comment about coaching - he is very raw, and with some detailed coaching on movement etc he could become a great player - the main thing I notice with Wreh is that you can see that the first thing he is thinking, always, is how can i score from here.

Good to see

Kensdale - one of my picks for man of the match today, so composed and level bearded for a young centre back still learning his trade positionally spot on today and again won everything thrown at him
I think that's what makes the difference between defenders, the quality of their beard trimmers.

I wasn’t at the game but after having seen Wreh last week I was critical so I’m delighted to have the words rammed back down my throat today. Let’s hope for more and more and more of the same.

For the fan. At the end of last season there was a theme of fans running on the pitch and assaulting players. It’s a dark mark on the game. If you go on the pitch and confront a player, you take your chances with the security. Similarly i don’t recommend walking up to night club bouncers and calling their mum a name. So whether the security was right or not, don’t put yourself in the position in the first place. Idiot.

Well all in all, that was a great result and the best part is we look set to become better with the return of a few players.

First half:
Solihull drove the game and in all honesty we could've been a few down by half time but some good defending from Hobson and Kensdale limited the damage to just the one.
One thing that stood out was how much time and space the oppo full backs had to carry and pass the ball in our half. Part of the problem with setting up with a back five is that there is no one to track these players and it stretched our midfield. Sbarra was the standout, and was always looking for the ball to be played in close to feet, something distinctly lacking from our midfield (notably Husin, who seemed to hide behind Sbarra when we were in possession). I wonder if Kev and Co had a plan to deal with their main man or if it simply wasn't carried out by the players.

Second half:
Overall we were much the better side this half, there was more intensity in our forward pressing and much deserved our goal. The standout this half was Ralph, who with the addition of Lomas was allowed to get forward at LWB. He was excellent in combination with Powell, Wreh and Husin (who was a different player this half, and ghosted past players like he did last season). I don't think Ralph lost an aerial battle all game, great leap on the lad. I think Clifford will lose his place for Lomas, we looked far calmer at the back with him there.
Wreh was superb this week, really caused a problem for the mountainous Solihull centre backs. Great feet, good hold up play, a real confidence booster for him.
Oh and Crowhust, great debut. Kept it simple and safe. Didn't set the world alight going forward but held his own defensively against some tricky opposition.

A draw the fair result considering both halves
UTB
Thanks for the detailed report. You'd expect Sbarra as the standout as he's one of the best players in the division and I suspect his presence was why we went for a bit more of a robust midfield with three players you might expect as natural CMs.

I still don't understand Ralph's leap, he's not tall by any means but I have rarely if ever have seen him beaten in the air.

I was very impressed with him at Ipswich. Glad he had a successful debut. Has good composure and awareness. Could make that position his own IMO.
I make you right. If there is consistency in him, it would take some performance to dislodge him.

Also, I like Clifford's attributes but Ralph going to wing back with Lomas in at centre half completely changed the game.

@henry18 has written the game up fairly.
Their goal came from a move down our left side, my first and current opinion was offside and lots of our players and the ref looked over to the lino expecting the flag to go up.
I don't like official bashing but the ref and the lino on one side were poor. There were a few fouls, deliberate, not missed tackles that should have been cards, especially the scything down of Powell and the elbow to Clifford's face which blooded his nose and caused the substitution. Thankfully the other lino alert the ref to Dallas' dive when he tried to get a pen late on, and forced the ref to give a yellow.
Football was okay first half, lots of passing across and back, and across and back but the midfielders seemed scared to make runs or risk a ball into space for the ever willing Wreh and Powell. We could have played for a week and not scored like that!
The sub off of Clifford changed our shape, Ralph is a very good left wing back, the 3 CBs looked good and Crowhurst was assured and safe defending.
Midfielders must have been told to step forward, Wreh goal was very well taken.
We should, imo, have pushed for a winner more but that is small moan.
Everyone put in a shift.
Bridge doesn't look 100% to me, not focused or fired up for some reason?
Well done the travelling 400, ( or well done 360) and stay out of the sun and off the shady to the others.
Ground is more a park with small facilities than an Arena.
It is in middle of nothing more than Land Rover factories.
1000 home fans is very poor.
Pitch is excellent, very flat and wide.
Catering offerings looked fair.
Lastly Coker was less of a player than when with us but has bulked up a tad.
On to The Shay!
UTB.

No stand out performances and no duds today....

Arnold the busier goalkeeper despite our dominance of possession and territory but he was solid with just a couple of well intentioned but poor distribution efforts and close to our MOM.

Young bloke at RWB can be very happy with his debut.

Hobson close to MOM as well.

There was a problem defensively down our left hand side and not sure if that is Clifford (who was defending 2 against 1 too often) or Ralph at LCB. Better after the change so that may be it for Clifford for a while. Ralph is a much better LWB than LCB.

Midfield solid all over.

Wreh and Powell..... pretty limited footballers really but both wanting to get involved, not hiding, trying to make things happen. How much that compensates for talent I don't know but Wreh gets MOM for me. Powell needs a bit of composure. It won't happen though.

As for composure... the 5 minutes of mayhem in the corner of the away end was an unwelcome distraction after a nice day out in the sun.

On a side note , Solihull are the other end of the football spectrum to Boreham Wood. Possession football playing out from the back and playing in the right spirit and the right way. God knows how they compete at this level with their little ground and support but good luck to them. Hope they smash Boreham Wood.

from their forum;

ame we should of won imo, first half we looked decent, great football for the goal. Southend didn’t offer much bar the save from Moulden.

However, second half Southend were the better side (again imo) and deserved their equaliser. Moors we’re our own worst enemy, ball retention was shocking!!!

Only two games gone so not gunna get too worried, Wednesday will be an interesting game.

Southend fans were a strange bunch, great before the game, observed the minutes applause brilliantly only to be let down by the div after they scored and the bottle (plastic I think 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️) thrown on the pitch. The lads calling me a fenian ******* as I walked back to the car reminded me of our own yoof, bless em 🙄
13/Aug/2022, 9:37 pm​

Can anyone who was at the game share how Ben Coker played please, what reception he got, and would you have him back?
Ben was solid but has probably lost a bit of his pace and threat going forward. A great player for us and I think we saw the best of him. He did not go over to the Southend fans at the end but that’s probably understandable given some of the shenanigans that happened with our support today

from their forum;

ame we should of won imo, first half we looked decent, great football for the goal. Southend didn’t offer much bar the save from Moulden.

However, second half Southend were the better side (again imo) and deserved their equaliser. Moors we’re our own worst enemy, ball retention was shocking!!!

Only two games gone so not gunna get too worried, Wednesday will be an interesting game.

Southend fans were a strange bunch, great before the game, observed the minutes applause brilliantly only to be let down by the div after they scored and the bottle (plastic I think 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️) thrown on the pitch. The lads calling me a fenian ******* as I walked back to the car reminded me of our own yoof, bless em 🙄
13/Aug/2022, 9:37 pm​
I like hearing views from the opposition's fans. Thanks for these.

First half I thought we were average at best few half chances but nothing too much.

Second half was much better when we brought Lomas on and moved Ralph to LWB nothing against Clifford but I just feel Ralph has a bit more guile and is more of a threat for us.

Arnold - no chance with the goal but couple of other saves the pick of the bunch from Kelly on the 1 on 1.

Crowhurst - this kid is a player, confident and composed on the ball strong in the tackle and got a leap on him.

Hobson - I’ve been a big critic of Hobson but today he was quality won everything in the air and some perfect tackles.

Kensdale - one of my picks for man of the match today, so composed and level headed for a young centre back still learning his trade positionally spot on today and again won everything thrown at him

Ralph - I like him at LCB but wow his such a threat down the left hand side and a great out let for us to play too.

Clifford - average for me got caught out again and was saved by Steeeeeve, just doesn’t do enough defensively or in attaching positions for me.

Lomas - Won his headers and looked assured very impressed from what I saw today.

Miley - my other contender for man of the match today, this guy is excellent a couple of wayward passes but that’s expected with the amount he gets on the ball, tackles today were spot on even fouled players in the right areas at right times dare I say as good if not better than Harrison Neal for me.

Husin - I thought it was a different performance for Noor today, he done the dirty work really well today picked up second balls all over the place won a lot of tackles a real combative performance in the middle.

Fonguck - In and out the game today, shows he has ability to carry the ball just seemed a little tentative to actually do that much today, still not a bad performance from a guy still finding his feet with us.

Powell - This lad has unbelievable talent he just needs to work on that end product his pace and directness will terrify defenders at this level but only if he starts to produce after his done the hard work, again another good performance though.

Wreh - Chris was another stand out performer for me today, not just because he scored and excellent goal but his hold up play and his ability to get his body between man and ball is not to be missed he will win us a lot of dangerous free kicks from doing this, he also won a fair share of headers against 2 centre halves that were a lot taller than him.

Bridge and Mooney - Done what they were put on to do run about and close down defenders almost created a chance or 2 from there hard work.

All in all a very good point at one of the promotion favourites this season with players missing in very very hot conditions.
Excellent report and almost mirrored mine

Back