• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 1-1 Southend United

Well that was a pleasant surprise. A point at Moors was a great result. Lots of positives to take from the game. And how encouraging that Jaden Crowhurst and Chris Wreh performed so creditably for players still finding their feet at this level. And in Chris have we found that unpolished diamond that we have been hoping to find in the lower leagues for so long?
Sunday morning feels a whole lot better than it did a week ago!

COYB at Halifax on Tuesday.

One extra blues fan there. Was sitting in the main stand, behind the Moors dugout. Had to drive from Hereford, no trains west of Birmingham.
First of all, a disagreement with post 73. The facilities at the stadium are excellent, just not where the away fans are currently sited. Clean, modern and comfortable indoor and outdoor seating, reasonable drinks prices (but £4 for a sausage roll) and family friendly. The ground is being improved by stages.
The home crowd of 1000 is unsurprising. Most people in the area are Birmingham City supporters, it’s peak holiday time, and it was extremely hot.
Both Crowhurst and Coker played in front of me. Crowhurst is tidy, not overawed and promising. But not yet the real deal. He was unambitious going forward, and not often threatened in defence. Moors played fairly narrow, in the main. But he can be pleased with his performance.
Coker is a bit heavier than when we last saw him, and half a yard slower. He played left back, not wing back and was comfortable. He’s a good player at this level.
The first thing I noticed at the ground is that Southend are quite a small team in terms of stature. Was not at the home game, but am not surprised they were bullied (kicked up in the air?) by BW. Kensdale and Lomas are the requisite height (in fact they look like two peas in a pod) but apart from Fonguck the team all look no more than 5ft 10 ins.
Talking of Fonguck, I didn’t have a programme and didn’t know who the tall black midfielder was. He caught my eye and played well, I thought.
The midfield was very impressive. The home crowd were increasingly annoyed at the number of times Moors gave away the ball. In fact they had the ball taken away from them. Hussin, Miley and Fonguck look a good unit.
In the circumstances - not first choice, heat, against a fancied team - the front two were bloody good. Extremely hard working and a constant threat against a lumbering centre back pairing (this is why I think Moors won’t go up). Wreh (and Miley) were men of the match, but Powell also did very well. I just wish he would look up once in a while. I couldn’t see through a ruck of players who had scored for Blues what was an excellent goal, and hadn’t realised Wreh had such a rasping shot on him.
As others have said, we looked much better defensively down the left when Ralph moved to wing back. Couldn’t judge Lomas, because in all fairness he didn’t have that much to do.
The five minutes of extra time were scary of course, but more so for the home fans, because it was Moors who were hanging on, against the new threats of Mooney and Bridge. Uncharacteristically Mr Maher was going for the win.
I thought we would lose, perhaps 3 - 0. We might have won it on the second half display. The Wolves fan sitting next to me thought we were the better side. When we get some players back, we’ll be there or thereabouts.

@barton west , excellent? not in the away low, shallow tin roof end, smelly portacabin loos. Home duplicate end may be better but not a great viewing experience either end.
The new build side stand ought to get some more fans in. SM are heading in the right direction
The catering truck for away fans looked fair, onions and all. Beer was fizzy pop lager or doombar (no longer good).
£4 a sausage roll! no wonder none where being thrown this year.
Your view of footie must have been better than my observation point AND you have posted good stuff on the players on display.
I heard the Moor manager, Ardley? bawling them out a few times but couldn't catch the words, just that he was far from happy; which indicated we did some good stuff for sure.

AN afternoon of firsts saw Southend United get their season up and running with a share of the spoils at Solihull Moors on Saturday.Summer signing Chris Wreh scored his first goal for the Shrimpers on his full debut and his effort was ultimately enough for Kevin Maher’s side to pick up their first point of the campaign in a testing contest.Solihull – who reached the play-off final last season – are again expected to be push for promotion this time around.And the hosts started well at the weekend with the dangerous Andrew Dallas firing them in front early on.But Blues reacted strongly to the setback and produced a performance which offered real encouragement and optimism for the season ahead.For me, the Shrimpers remain work in progress and you only have to look back at this fixture last season to remember just how far the club had fallen.That clash will forever be firmly etched in the club’s history for all the wrong reasons as an already broken Blues plunged even deeper into despair.Chairman Ron Martin bizarrely opted to head into the away end to confront away supporters chanting for his dismissal before angry fans also argued with then Blues boss Phil Brown and his assistant Craig Fagan behind the bench.Seven days later, came even more anger and agony as the Shrimpers hit arguably their lowest ever ebb following a 4-0 defeat to Chesterfield at Roots Hall.The match – which was halted by protesting supporters – proved to be Brown’s last in charge of Blues.Back then, the Shrimpers were a toxic mess and, on the back of two successive relegations, they were in complete turmoil too.National League South was a real possibility at that stage but, since then, Kevin Maher and those around him have worked tirelessly to turn things around.As a result, Blues worked their way up to a 13th place finish last time around and expectations are high for the campaign ahead too.That is understandable and should always be the case for Southend at this level.But there must also be a sense of realism and the Shrimpers are still working towards the sustainable platform needed for success.On the pitch, Blues will not be having things their own way either and that was again shown on Saturday as another stern test unfolded.The Shrimpers dug deep to avoid defeat with Wreh taking his chance in more way than one.A succession of injuries in attacking areas has led to Wreh being given opportunities to impress earlier than originally anticipated.But his speed and strength caused all kinds of problems for Solihull and the early signs are certainly positive where the striker is concerned.Callum Powell also looked lively in attack and, at the opposite end of the pitch, there was an encouraging debut for Jaden Crowhurst.The youngster initially came through the youth ranks at Roots Hall as a midfielder but, in the past year, he has reverted to right-back and impressed throughout pre-season.Given that, he could actually consider himself unlucky not to start against Boreham Wood on the opening day.But an injury to Harry Taylor handed Crowhurst an opportunity to start and he did not disappoint.Crowhurst did not look out of place and, just like Blues, will now be looking to build on a promising performance.The next chance comes at Halifax Town tomorrow night but the injury situation is now becoming far more of a concern.Dan Mooney was not fit enough to start on Saturday while Tom Clifford had to be taken off with a suspected broken nose.Subsequently, Maher could be missing as many as seven players at the Shay.And reinforcements are urgently required if Blues are to be anywhere near being able to mount a challenge for a top seven finish this season.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

One extra blues fan there. Was sitting in the main stand, behind the Moors dugout. Had to drive from Hereford, no trains west of Birmingham.
First of all, a disagreement with post 73. The facilities at the stadium are excellent, just not where the away fans are currently sited. Clean, modern and comfortable indoor and outdoor seating, reasonable drinks prices (but £4 for a sausage roll) and family friendly. The ground is being improved by stages.
The home crowd of 1000 is unsurprising. Most people in the area are Birmingham City supporters, it’s peak holiday time, and it was extremely hot.
Both Crowhurst and Coker played in front of me. Crowhurst is tidy, not overawed and promising. But not yet the real deal. He was unambitious going forward, and not often threatened in defence. Moors played fairly narrow, in the main. But he can be pleased with his performance.
Coker is a bit heavier than when we last saw him, and half a yard slower. He played left back, not wing back and was comfortable. He’s a good player at this level.
The first thing I noticed at the ground is that Southend are quite a small team in terms of stature. Was not at the home game, but am not surprised they were bullied (kicked up in the air?) by BW. Kensdale and Lomas are the requisite height (in fact they look like two peas in a pod) but apart from Fonguck the team all look no more than 5ft 10 ins.
Talking of Fonguck, I didn’t have a programme and didn’t know who the tall black midfielder was. He caught my eye and played well, I thought.
The midfield was very impressive. The home crowd were increasingly annoyed at the number of times Moors gave away the ball. In fact they had the ball taken away from them. Hussin, Miley and Fonguck look a good unit.
In the circumstances - not first choice, heat, against a fancied team - the front two were bloody good. Extremely hard working and a constant threat against a lumbering centre back pairing (this is why I think Moors won’t go up). Wreh (and Miley) were men of the match, but Powell also did very well. I just wish he would look up once in a while. I couldn’t see through a ruck of players who had scored for Blues what was an excellent goal, and hadn’t realised Wreh had such a rasping shot on him.
As others have said, we looked much better defensively down the left when Ralph moved to wing back. Couldn’t judge Lomas, because in all fairness he didn’t have that much to do.
The five minutes of extra time were scary of course, but more so for the home fans, because it was Moors who were hanging on, against the new threats of Mooney and Bridge. Uncharacteristically Mr Maher was going for the win.
I thought we would lose, perhaps 3 - 0. We might have won it on the second half display. The Wolves fan sitting next to me thought we were the better side. When we get some players back, we’ll be there or thereabouts.
That was some finish from Wreh. Apparently something he has been working on with the coaches- and working on finishing with both feet- his finish and the power and curl on the shot all the more impressive as it was with his “wrong” foot. Keeper didn’t move.

Wreh could turn out to be a top signing as he critically not only brings potential but a hunger and desire to work on his game and succeed.. hope he does. Played 46 games last season so hopefully he can stay fit as Powell and Wreh staying fit will be critical over the next few weeks. If they do that then things look promising I think with others coming back…

Last edited:
Thanks Cork Shrimper, couple of real quality goals on show there.

50 seconds in to the video we are again just so open on the left hand side - the communication and awareness must improve in that area

Putting Wreh's 5* weak foot finish to one side for the moment. How good is it to have a striker willing to have a dig from the edge of the box. Genuinely cannot remember the last time we scored a goal from that zone? We have been incredibly shot shy outside of the box.
Indeed. And he created it all. He was in the box and darted out to receive the throw in, turned, brought into the box., played if off and ran across for the return which he buried. He could have just stayed in the box waiting for others to do something.

A shout out to Hobson. He had another good game yesterday. He gets enough stick on here, so he should be praised when he's playing well. A friend who was at the game said he was brilliant along with Kensdale. He gives his all every game, and has become that player that blocks shots by throwing his body in the way. We've all seen centre backs that are cowards in that situation. Yes we know he can improve going forward and decision making on his passing, but I think he's underrated.
Yes - I thought they both did well. With Lomas on the left of the threesome, they looked a tidy unit.

Just watched the extended highlights. Supper Steve was his usual reliable self when called upon, Crowhurst looked very decent and Wreh looks like he could be a hell of a player for us. Seems to have it all, bit of pace, good with his feet, can hold the ball up and scores with both feet. Great bit of business.

Was incredibly frustrated watching Powell though. The lad really, really needs to learn to pass. He had two or three shots that didn’t trouble them when he could’ve pulled a cross back in the box for Wreh. A few times Crowhurst was virtually unmarked in the box on the right and was ignored. I really rate him, but if I were Kev I’d have given him a bit of a bollocking after that.

Back