• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some Club Staff Salaries Late/Embargo Chat - now resolved (for now)

The link to chargebacks showed the extra protection in place when paying by card. Ever card merchant will have different limits and terms depending on the company involved and their current and past financial standing. So one companies terms will be different to another companies terms from the same merchant.

It's probably more common than you think. I don't often need to purchase season tickets for other clubs but a quick search will tell me that Swindon Town are in the same boat (only accepting cash or bank transfer)
Maybe when the season starts we will refuse to pay by cash or card in the bar or food stands and offer by tesco vouchers only!

A number of folks seem to have confirmed it as a fact that some staff have not been paid or only partially paid again

If that is true I wonder what rights they have on a casual contract? They are still classed as "workers " so non payment in most cases is illegal, even though a casual or zero contract has no set hours and involve a call to work when needed, Equally the worker can leave when they want but are entitled to the minimum wage and statutory annual leave

However as I understand it as a worker you can still contact ACAS as a breach of contract issue ( unless you agreed to occasional temporary non payment ) Acas will then follow up on the dispute with the employer to press for full payment, Failure to pay can lead to a tribunal

Or some workers can contact HMRC direct, Or raise a written grievance with the Employer initially. Few folks are unionised

I wonder if any workers have pursued any of these courses

This may not be linked but heres what the General Manager of the National league said about embargoes last year

"NATIONAL League general manager Mark Ives has explained why clubs can be placed under a transfer embargo
“For example, and again this isn’t attributed to any club, you may have a perceived sporting advantage because a club haven’t been settling their bills to football creditors, their PAYE tax or whatever the case may be.

“There’s an argument that those clubs end up getting a sporting advantage because they’re paying their players more and not paying everything else.

“In that situation, we take it seriously.

“One of the remedies where that’s concerned is putting the club under an embargo until we’re satisfied the balance has been redressed.“That’s quite important to us.”

A number of folks seem to have confirmed it as a fact that some staff have not been paid or only partially paid again

If that is true I wonder what rights they have on a casual contract? They are still classed as "workers " so non payment in most cases is illegal, even though a casual or zero contract has no set hours and involve a call to work when needed, Equally the worker can leave when they want but are entitled to the minimum wage and statutory annual leave

However as I understand it as a worker you can still contact ACAS as a breach of contract issue ( unless you agreed to occasional temporary non payment ) Acas will then follow up on the dispute with the employer to press for full payment, Failure to pay can lead to a tribunal

Or some workers can contact HMRC direct, Or raise a written grievance with the Employer initially. Few folks are unionised

I wonder if any workers have pursued any of these courses

This may not be linked but heres what the General Manager of the National league said about embargoes last year

"NATIONAL League general manager Mark Ives has explained why clubs can be placed under a transfer embargo
“For example, and again this isn’t attributed to any club, you may have a perceived sporting advantage because a club haven’t been settling their bills to football creditors, their PAYE tax or whatever the case may be.

“There’s an argument that those clubs end up getting a sporting advantage because they’re paying their players more and not paying everything else.

“In that situation, we take it seriously.

“One of the remedies where that’s concerned is putting the club under an embargo until we’re satisfied the balance has been redressed.“That’s quite important to us.”
Hang on, did I miss the point where it was confirmed that it was zero hour / casual labour workers that hadn't been paid?

If so the amount owed cannot be much as we haven't had any matches for weeks and we currently don't have much of a pitch, I'm assuming that the head groundsman is full-time and in charge of the pitch works.

The link to chargebacks showed the extra protection in place when paying by card. Ever card merchant will have different limits and terms depending on the company involved and their current and past financial standing. So one companies terms will be different to another companies terms from the same merchant.

It's probably more common than you think. I don't often need to purchase season tickets for other clubs but a quick search will tell me that Swindon Town are in the same boat (only accepting cash or bank tra

Maybe when the season starts we will refuse to pay by cash or card in the bar or food stands and offer by tesco vouchers only!
As they won't accept Credit Card for payment, wonder if they would accept Tesco Clubcard vouchers for payment of a season ticket? :Smile:

Hang on, did I miss the point where it was confirmed that it was zero hour / casual labour workers that hadn't been paid?

If so the amount owed cannot be much as we haven't had any matches for weeks and we currently don't have much of a pitch, I'm assuming that the head groundsman is full-time and in charge of the pitch works.
It’s full time staff

@brigg blue I would guess grounds staff would do lots more than just cut and water the Hall pitch. All B &L needs upkeep, plus regular maintenance work .
Trying to keep on top of basics for the old stadium likely has their hours fully occupied too.

Whenever I think of Southend United and it's continued financial struggles, this always comes to mind. I find it calming in times on Zone Stress. :Winking:

1656403100214.png

This article just details the protections to Consumers.

Where is the evidence that when a purchase of a Season Ticket is made by Credit Card, the money is drip fed to the club?

I think this is just Bull S*** made up by the club and many gullible people have been taken in by this.

Pretty sure Tom Lawrence told us this in a Liaison Meeting so it'll be in our Minutes. I'll have a look later.

It’s full time staff

@brigg blue I would guess grounds staff would do lots more than just cut and water the Hall pitch. All B &L needs upkeep, plus regular maintenance work .
Trying to keep on top of basics for the old stadium likely has their hours fully occupied too.
That's exactly why I was surprised when it was mentioned that it was casual staff not being paid especially when the groundsmen haven't been fully paid (not itk just going by what's on here.

I'm sure the full picture will come to light soon enough, I just wonder it the amount owed is less than ANG's monthly wage....

100%. I reckon the club have probably missed out of at least 500, maybe 1000 tops season ticket sales due to this approach. We were looking at the potential of getting an adult and child one but have been put off due to this stance and I'm sure there are countless others in the same boat!
But probs have more money in the bank NOW because of it.

You’ll most likely end up buying a seaso nearer the time on CC and they would’ve only lost out on 1/12th of your cash but got 11/12th of other peoples cash.

Unfortunately, makes a lot of sense for the club to hold out for as long as possible.

1 in the hand is worth 2 in a bush.

When was the embargo enforced last season?
I hate to say it but if nothing is announced by pre-season beginning tomorrow then surely there is more to this than "not wanting to put club staff's nose out of joint by announcing transfers whilst they're unpaid".

I'm slowly joining the umbungo crowd.

I shouldn’t really tell you this but to save endless wild embargo claims I will tell you the reason why we have a delay.

Whilst Kev was away the new B&L cleaner wiped the whiteboard clean….. Stan and co have worked round the clock but they still can’t remember two of the missing names.

Rumour has it the last cleaner never got paid and no I wont reply in a detailed and humble manor just because one of the angry usual suspects demands to know my source…..Like others on here my word is my bond and although so last century, Zoners should respect such people.

That can't be true. Ron always pays out to the cleaner in the end!

Back