• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some Players haven’t been paid

9 and rising wow- rather then the EFL dishing out endless deductions and worse still fining clubs who can’t meet the wage bill making the situation even worse, perhaps they might consider their own contribution in failing to pass on the Prem monies that were advanced to help the clubs. Maybe with that money the players would have got paid.
What do you want me to say as you know my views

Who are the 9
I heard of 7 yesterday who were struggling too and 2 more in the same boat today. 1 is openly in the press, 1 is mentioned on this forum. If i put names here, then as they are not confirmed, i could put the forum in a position of awkwardness so I wont do that.
When I go back to work on Wednesday next week (un furloughed yippee as bored rigid the last 3 weeks or so) i may then be in a position to do so without harming the forum

9 and rising wow- rather then the EFL dishing out endless deductions and worse still fining clubs who can’t meet the wage bill making the situation even worse, perhaps they might consider their own contribution in failing to pass on the Prem monies that were advanced to help the clubs. Maybe with that money the players would have got paid.

Or maybe clubs will start actually living within their means on a regular basis rather than assembling squads their regular income can’t sustain??

Or maybe clubs will start actually living within their means on a regular basis rather than assembling squads their regular income can’t sustain??
You have a point but the current situation at the same time is exceptional. To the extent anything good will come out of it there may well be a new wage cap regime. Some owners have their own businesses in trouble and this won’t be helping.

You have a point but the current situation at the same time is exceptional. To the extent anything good will come out of it there may well be a new wage cap regime. Some owners have their own businesses in trouble and this won’t be helping.

Most, if not all, of the currently “distressed” clubs will have long-standing financial challenges that will have been exacerbated by Covid but not entirely caused by it.

I would like to see leniency from authorities for those clubs who are suffering now but can demonstrate they were previously living within their means, but Covid shouldn’t be a free pass for those who’ve consistently been trying to pay for success that their income can’t sustain (at any level within the game)

Most, if not all, of the currently “distressed” clubs will have long-standing financial challenges that will have been exacerbated by Covid but not entirely caused by it.

I would like to see leniency from authorities for those clubs who are suffering now but can demonstrate they were previously living within their means, but Covid shouldn’t be a free pass for those who’ve consistently been trying to pay for success that their income can’t sustain (at any level within the game)
Thats very true, i will say 2 do those i have heard about have always to me seemed to be well run but I never thought Wycombe were a club that over spent

Well run clubs will be suffering too - there is an argument they are less prepared for fire fighting actually. Culturally though I don't remember a period in time when success was so much the main concern, maybe I am being rose tinted but an effort level from the players was the concern, not promotion at all costs....

The problem is the rules don’t really allow for value judgements about how well run a club is, and there is no formula for measuring it or threshold to meet that assists in this situation. That said the EFL are not unused to implementing rules and caveats retrospectively.

What will be interesting is as clubs begin living within their means, is will that be met with full understanding from fans as they are repeatedly underwhelmed by the quality and number of new signings? I guess the hope will be all this drives down player contracts and you make the same signings for less money- let’s see how it all plays out.

The problem is the rules don’t really allow for value judgements about how well run a club is, and there is no formula for measuring it or threshold to meet that assists in this situation. That said the EFL are not unused to implementing rules and caveats retrospectively.

What will be interesting is as clubs begin living within their means, is will that be met with full understanding from fans as they are repeatedly underwhelmed by the quality and number of new signings? I guess the hope will be all this drives down player contracts and you make the same signings for less money- let’s see how it all plays out.

Give me the likes of Bentley, hunt, pettifer, Atkinson etc etc over the over paid shower of **** that has represented our football club the past 2 seasons.

living within their means? you mean every season plan for a pandemic, and the season being cut short by four months. is that what you mean?
No, I meant what a typed, Live within their means on a REGULAR basis rather than assembling squads (ie before the pandemic in preceding seasons) their REGULAR income can’t sustain.

Covid has made most businesses ability to trade much harder across all industries. Some will not survive and have been incredibly unlucky, but there will be some who were in a mess before and this will be the straw that broke the camuls back

No, I meant what a typed, Live within their means on a REGULAR basis rather than assembling squads (ie before the pandemic in preceding seasons) their REGULAR income can’t sustain.

Covid has made most businesses ability to trade much harder across all industries. Some will not survive and have been incredibly unlucky, but there will be some who were in a mess before and this will be the straw that broke the camuls back
Football clubs on pitch activity and off pitch ownership and restructuring means though that a poor season CAN be followed by a great one financially, it's quite unique in that regard. Maybe it's super optimism but a poor run club doesn't mean they always will be.
What we need to get away from are people thinking that they can make a quick winning side without a sustainable foundation - we aren't guilty of that (not saying you were inferring we were) and that's when teams fall through the divisions.
The disparity between the divisions is the power of advertising, marketing etc. and will mean the gap will get wider over time if anything.
The business I am in is three years investment, a year or two of breakeven and then profit - guess what year of the cycle we are in but at no point have we been irresponsible.
TLDR - I don't know if such a thing as a regular season exists for a club that have any ambition or desire to improve their league standing

That's precisely what he did in the summer of 2010 - withhold payment to force players to exercise their right to issue 14 days notice and effectively rip up the stupid contracts that he'd agreed with them and now didn't want to honour. So he's absolutely got form for selective payments to suit his agenda.

However then we didn't have a suspended points deduction hanging over our heads. If he is willfully withholding payments to players to either make a point about furlough or to get some contracts revoked then he's recklessly playing with fire.
I don’t want to be pedantic but I think 2010 and 2020 are very different.
We didn’t withhold payment in 2010. We didn’t pay as we simply didn’t have the money. We had a squad that actually had a transfer value. We lost hundred pounds If not thousands of ponds , if not millions in letting them go for nothing.

Financially it would have made far more sense to have paid them then sold them, even if it was a fire sale. That is very different to today’s situation in my opinion

Surely if clubs live within their financial circumstances and only pay the players what they can afford the gulf between the Premiership and rest will only widen. With their TV money and parachute payments any idea of a sporting competition and not a business would be finally binned. Thanks Sky and the FA for what you have encouraged!

I'd ask if I've missed anything but the first post I read today was an argument over the Sainsburys £5m so I'm pretty sure I know the answer...

Out of curiosity - although feel free not to answer - where have you been?

Good to see you back

I'd ask if I've missed anything but the first post I read today was an argument over the Sainsburys £5m so I'm pretty sure I know the answer...
Great to see you back, too many of our older (length of time, rather than age!) posters have disappeared in recent times.

Back