• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
Strange that a thought from a bygone life should hit me today ... but here it is anyway. I got stuck on the M25 en route to a midweek home game against Northampton back in the Autumn of our super season 1990-91. We'd played them just recently in whatever the Leyland DAF was back then (Sherpa Van?) and I suddenly threw a wobbly and decided I just couldn't hack it anymore, turned off at Junction 2 and headed up the A2 and back to South London, where I lived at the time. It broke a spell where I'd been watching every home game and a fair proportion of away games for about three or four seasons. Though I still went to a lot of games after until I had to put in mega-hours for a course I was doing from '91-'93, it was never the same for me even though it was our historic season. Weird. I don't say I fell out of love with The Blues, but going to the games stopped being a central part of my life. Has anyone else experienced something similar ? I think it was a mid-life crisis looking back now as I can't imagine not thinking about what my next game following our team is going to be, even from these faraway parts ...

Don't worry Shrimpero I heard a rumour, on the golf course, of course, that they are going to establish a senior citizens forum, where we can go without fear of being embarassed. ;)
In the vein of what you were trying to say...........yes, it did happen to me. Back in 1963, I have checked it up!.................standing outside the Standard offices in Clifftown Road, watching them put up the news sheets in the window for our First Round Cup match on the sloping pitch at, then non-league, Yeovil. We lost 1-0 and for a good amount of time after that, football (Southend), took a back seat.

Back in 91/92 I got to the ground on new years dayfor the Newcastle game, Id argued all the way to the ground with my girlfriend of the time and then got there and there was a massive queue. Turned round and went home and missed us going top of Division one for the only time ever.

Also didnt go to many games after then as split with the girlfriend that day and it was her I used to go with at the time.

I go through periods of seeing every home game for years and then times, like now, when I cherry pick at best.

Im sure Ill get the urge sometime in the future and get another season ticket..

Jumpers as goalposts anyone?

Don't worry Shrimpero I heard a rumour, on the golf course, of course, that they are going to establish a senior citizens forum, where we can go without fear of being embarassed. ;)
In the vein of what you were trying to say...........yes, it did happen to me. Back in 1963, I have checked it up!.................standing outside the Standard offices in Clifftown Road, watching them put up the news sheets in the window for our First Round Cup match on the sloping pitch at, then non-league, Yeovil. We lost 1-0 and for a good amount of time after that, football (Southend), took a back seat.

I have an (enduring) image of dear old Alec Stock and his boyish but slightly stiff-upper lipped persona saying what a great game it was and 'three cheers for Southend' as the lads tramped off the slope. Seems like I need to do battle with the cupboards wherein my programmes are and try to determine what game it was I had my moment before ... I may be some time!

I stopped going for a few years after witnessing the most boring game i've ever seen a 0-0 against Stoke in the old Division 2.

I am at that stage now to be honest. Its only that I have a season card that I have been going.

I just feel that I am am being used as a fan and constanly lied to and taken advantage of by the club. It just makes me feel so negative.

In life in general everthing seems to go 'full circle' and it just seems to me that we are going through the 'Jobson' era all over again.

It would be nice just to have some settled years where I can proudly support my club without worrying about its future existance!

I know that there are many younger fans on SZ who may not have experienced the rotten past, but for me its a case of 'hear we go again' and I am getting well fed up with it!!

During the Jobson era I went to all home games and half the away games with my dad. Was to young to be aware of the problems in the background, just loved going. For me a really depressing era was with Rob Newman as manager. We played some awful long ball tripe, with a poor poor team.

I stopped going for a while back in the late 70's after turning up at Doncaster Rovers for a re-arranged, mid-week game on a wintery Tuesday evening to find myself the only person in the entire away end.

I've found out since that there were a few other hardy souls sitting somewhere in the seats, but I had nobody to talk to until I joined the Donny fans in their end at half time.

To be fair it was touch and go whether the match was going to be on, and there had been a snag of some sort with the supporters club coach, but we'd consider it poor nowadays if only 38 or so turned up for a match.

I still have fond memories of my solo rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" :)

The Disgraceful Alan Little era for me. I was out of the area for some of that season and whilst previously I would always keep up to date with the latest scores, I had a spell where I wasnt even checking the results til later in the evening. Hated everything about that team....no style of play, northern journeyman who didnt look like they were putting in an ounce of effort, etc etc.

For the previous awful regimes (Whelan / Martin) there was an internal (completely misplaced) optimism inside of me that was still convinced we would do well......that the next game would finally see us turn that corner and start the race up the divisions....that Houghton and Clarke would show premiership class, that Alex Burns would tear up the division, that Conlon or Fitzpatrick would be our answer to Robbie Keane and Niall Quinn and with their midas touch in front of goal would go on to in play world cups together, not to mention the high hopes of continental flair from Regis Coulbault and German precision from Lar Unger.

By the time Little came along though I was devoid of hope, anticipation and interest and he came very close to sapping all my enthusiasm for the club away. My lack of enthusiasm at Roget's late equaliser against Kidderminster summed up my feelings. The day he was sacked and Webb came along started the whole cycle of (misplaced) optimism started again!

I use to go to every home and away game for a couple of seasons until I had a change of job. This was the season when the home fans were moved into the South Stand. As it would had been touch and go to make a 3pm kickoff and the thought that I had been up since 02.30 for work and would have to travel back to Maldon afterwards really knocked the footie on the head. Since then I have done a few away games and a couple of home games, as the thought of sitting next to strangers whinging about the game would make me want to kill them.

Started going to Southend on Friday nights in 1968 and then Saturdays at Tottenham as I was a Tottenham fan at the time after moving from London.Followed Southend during the dark Anton Johnson years and the glory Webb years,became a season ticket holder 12 years ago and John Main shook my hand and thanked me personally.
I've had one hell of a ride with the mighty blues and loved every good and bad minute of it. My life is now changing and I need to move away from Essex because it is being destroyed by over development.
This is my last year being a season ticket holder and it will be a hard job giving it up.But I am and always will be a Blue, I will get to as many games as I can home and away, and look forward to sitting in the new stadium.

UP THE BLUES!!!!!

Family priorities meant I missed a lot in the late 80s/early 90s - a husband that hates watching football, and then the arrival of the babies. I'm grateful that I remembered and regained my love for it all.

Back