• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Excuses Excuses,part time supporter.

Always but always made sure I knew what was going on, results etc. Really, really hard being in a relationship where your interests are not at all reciprocated. My dad always made sure I was involved anyway, he's been going as STH for about 40 years.

Always but always made sure I knew what was going on, results etc. Really, really hard being in a relationship where your interests are not at all reciprocated. My dad always made sure I was involved anyway, he's been going as STH for about 40 years.

I'll let you of then.

Hang on, we didn't play Northampton that season!

Just been looking over my programmes and by the process of elimination, I think it was a 2-1 win v Exeter I missed at the end of October, 1990. During this self-indulgence, I discovered a Gills-Blues prog from the early 80s with a slim Steve Bruce on the cover - a collector's item, surely?! - and some nausea-inducing home ones from the first few weeks of the '87-'88 season featuring Dick Bate with (respectively) Chris Ramsey and Richard Young on the covers. They brought back terrible memories of those crushing defeats at Gillingham, Notts County and Mansfield, where we conceded 18 goals in successive away games IIRC. :(

You should have gone to that game against Exeter. We got a last minute winner after falling behind early on. That's the night I began to think we might actually have a chance of making the play-offs.

Promotion, of course, was out of the question, the bubble would burst sooner or later, but making the 3rd Division play-offs in 1991. My, what an achievement that would have been ....

I stopped going for a while back in the late 70's after turning up at Doncaster Rovers for a re-arranged, mid-week game on a wintery Tuesday evening to find myself the only person in the entire away end.

I've found out since that there were a few other hardy souls sitting somewhere in the seats, but I had nobody to talk to until I joined the Donny fans in their end at half time.

To be fair it was touch and go whether the match was going to be on, and there had been a snag of some sort with the supporters club coach, but we'd consider it poor nowadays if only 38 or so turned up for a match.

I still have fond memories of my solo rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" :)

SB was that a game sometime during December, which I think we drew 1-1 after scoring first? If it was, I went by train and got back to Kings Cross about 5 in the morning, cold and pi**ed off. If it wasn't then we must have had another awful mid-week game against Donny sometime in the 70's.

Stopped going between 1982-84, due to the poor performances week in-week out. Other factors were running marathons which took up all my spare time in training and preparation, and starting a family which obviously prioritises your life.

Just been looking over my programmes .... from the first few weeks of the '87-'88 season featuring Dick Bate with (respectively) Chris Ramsey and Richard Young on the covers. They brought back terrible memories of those crushing defeats at Gillingham, Notts County and Mansfield, where we conceded 18 goals in successive away games IIRC. :(

I certainly remember the defeat at Gills.Laughing at our team in the rain.5-1 wasn't it, with Steve Phillips scoring our late consolation goal?
Those programmes should also bring back memories of Bate's appalling prog notes too.

I certainly remember the defeat at Gills.Laughing at our team in the rain.5-1 wasn't it, with Steve Phillips scoring our late consolation goal?
Those programmes should also bring back memories of Bate's appalling prog notes too.

8-1 and to add insult to injury our goal was an oggy.

Memory lane

8-1 and to add insult to injury our goal was an oggy.

Canvey,
Talking about-ahem-great defeats,do you remember that 0-8 League Cup game away at Palace in 90/91?
I do for various reasons.First,Bright and Wright's hat-tricks against us.Also Paul Clark's woeful performance at the back.
One pleasant memory of that night though was being introduced to Peter Mason before the KO.IIRC he was supposed to be updating the bible(ie Southend United:The Offficial History of the Blues)for our centenary year.
Whatever happened to that?

Last edited:
I suppose my Damascus moment was the first game of the season in August 1994.We were away at Millwall(the season after our great 4-1 TV win there).I was staying in Bristol at the time and got an early morning milk train from Brizzle(believe me it stopped off at all the most obscure stations en route)to Waterloo.
I've always been a big fan of the Hole in the Wall pub(until last summer anyway)just opposite Waterloo station.So popped in for a pie and a pint(or two).Predictably the place was full of Millwall's charmless "supporters".Dunno why but despite already having a ticket for the game I took myself off to Craven cottage where Fulham were playing their first ever game in the old fourth Division.
Never really liked going to Millwall at the best of times.But I've never done anything like this before or since and I still don't really know why.

Back