• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?...;POSTNUKESID=9aaa00702510e8395bb95ded4dbde3be

Sony to challenge the iPod.

"We are taking on iPod with our new device," said a Sony official. "We are coming at him [Steve Jobs] on that front."

If there is any company in this world who could pull off a comparable iPod competitor, it is Sony. Many companies have claimed to have what it takes to unseat the iPod from its throne, yet no one has even come close. Sony thinks they have what it takes and it could cost as low as $60.

So what is this magical player?

Sony recently announced many details concerning the "PSP", a handheld gaming, music playing, video playing and possible cellphone all-in-one handheld device. While the PSP isn't due out until the end of 2004, it is expected this device may be the answer to anyone and everyones handheld needs. The device is expected to be a powerful competitor for Nintendo's Game Boy, Nokia's N-Gage and Apple's iPod.

As for a possible look of the PSP, this conecpt image from Sony has leaked:

pspthumb.jpg

According to GameSpot and ZDNET Japan, these are the current PSP specifications:

PSP CPU Core -
MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

PSP Media Engine -
MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core -
1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pizel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core -
VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media -
UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shock proof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

Other Specifications -
16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

Keep in mind, the current prototypes are only 4.5 inches in diameter. This could mean trouble for Apple's iPod, especially as mini-hard drive prices continue to go down. There is some good news though, now that these specs. have been released, Apple has almost a year to meet or beat the PSP. While Apple has never really been clear with what direction they want to take the iPod, in recent months Apple has made it clear that they do want increased iPod functionality.

Hopefully, Apple will take the initiative and offer a device far superior to Sony's PSP (Could the iPod 2 be in the works?). If they don't, then I'm buying a PSP

Hmmm their actually seperate devices , while the Sony PSP will play MP3,s and carry info like a portable HDD its also a games machine (and v nice from teh specs ) as well as becoming an extention to your other Sony devices !! P.s also a phone attachment is to be released as well

A side from that i think we're witnessing the Daddy of PDA/gaming/phone etc !!!!

Also the chip development for the PS3 !!
http://www.theregister.com/content/3/33791.html

Oh also forgot Dolby 7.1 surround with 3D effect and 2hour DVD quality playback with ATRAC3 , MPEG4 support aomong other things.

Your closests equvialent device as the moment is Archos Jukebox ! Except it dont play games !!! (Ok maybe an IPAQ or XDA but hey !)

Depends on the size of the hard drive, prices start £250 for 10Gb £300 for 20Gb and £400 for 40Gb. So carter, Kev was right
tounge.gif

I have the 10Gb model with a 3rd of space left and I have over 1208 songs on it recorded at 160k Bit Rate( recommended bit rate for cd quality is 128k)

I have had my iPod nearly a year and it is the best gadget I have bought todate. My main music collection with me at all times and just at a touch of a button.
cool.gif

With regards to the iPod vs PSP how is a device that does not have a hdd(hard drive) and relies on using UMD 1.8Gb going to compete?? It is more a challenge to the N-Gage or Mini Disc Player than an iPod.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Nov. 05 2003,22:36)]With regards to the iPod vs PSP how is a device that does not have a hdd(hard drive) and relies on using UMD 1.8Gb going to compete??
I would hope that Sony have thought of this...

I bet not, Sony will not bother. Why lose a market selling this new removable media! Which they will charge the earth for.

It is just an upgrade to their Mini Disc market. It is the new style of Gameboys after all what does PSP stand for Play Station Portable??
cool.gif

Back