• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend SOS Statement

Ron's biggest issue is his ego won't allow him to make rational choices.

I dont think it's only Ron's ego that is getting in the way iof us moving forward here.

It's evident elsewhere on this thread too.

We are in such a precarious position at the moment and as the current custodians of the club we owe it to the supporters past, present and future to get the next few weeks right.

You make a very good point Rigsby but are forgetting a major point.

Ron did have full planning for the previous stadium design of 15k if memory serves.

He couldnt raise the funds due to the economy crash on 2008.

Now when finances improved I. E. Lending streams, he could have simply applied for the same money and planning and undoubtedly would have been able to build.

But Ron being Ron decided that Ron world needed to be built. Not only are SBC against outside retail development due to impact on high street but local infrastructure doesn't really suit such a large development. This was always going to be a fruitless exercise. This has been proved by the fact the money making aspect of the build I. E. The retail etc has had to be dropped and the council buttered up.

The fact remains. If this was about Sufc and a move to a new stadium then we would have been in a new stadium years ago.

Ron's biggest issue is his ego won't allow him to make rational choices.

None of the above is true, you know this Tommy and so do most people on here. Protests wont work if you start from a place of twisted facts, in order to suit your own personal dislike of Ron.

Maybe if you had spoke to councillors, British Land and Ron himself you may well have had a better understanding....You may have even warned against Ron's spending gamble long before others on here because you knew we would end up in the NL rather than the Championship.

Of course back then i got more abuse than support.......Its a funny old game.

I dont think it's only Ron's ego that is getting in the way iof us moving forward here.

We are in such a precarious position at the moment and as the current custodians of the club we owe it to the supporters past, present and future to get the next few weeks right.

What do you suggest is the right thing to do ?

Let's face it, Ron isn't going anywhere until the Stadium goes ahead and he gets his payday which I completely understand and accept.

However, the way in which he has run the club in the past 3-5 years is a disgrace. Over paying players, lack of due diligence, wrong managerial appointments, no CEO, no plan in place, late payment to players, more HMRC appearances than L1 wins 2019-2020...

I want Ron to accept his failure and admit he got it wrong and for him to embrace change which hopefully Stan will propose to him in his call today. I don't want anymore BS statements, Mick McCarthy name drops.

I want a serious plan of how we are going to be back in the league within the next 3-5 years. Is that so much to ask of from a supposed businessman?

I agree.

But ultimately change can only happen if Ron is agreeable to it.

If he isn't, then we have two choices. Accept it, which we have been doing for years, or take much harder action.

Highlighting the clubs plight publicly and nationally can also force Ron's hand.

It's a gamble, but we have now reached rock bottom.

Hold on you misquoted me. I didn't say full responsibility and I don't think even Ron's harshest critics would say it was fair to say everything is down to him. His predecessors, recent managers, some players, SBC, the recession - these have all played their part too either directly or indirectly. But as the guy at the top he has held his hand up and rightly so.
Again, I apologise but I have not heard/read Ron accepting blame for anything. Perhaps you can tell me when he has held his hand up.

For the record, I am not totally anti Ron but I think the way he has run the club, over the past few years particularly, has put us in a perilous position. If the club is to survive with him remaining as Chairman I feel he definitely needs to change his ways of working.

Again, I apologise but I have not heard/read Ron accepting blame for anything. Perhaps you can tell me when he has held his hand up.

For the record, I am not totally anti Ron but I think the way he has run the club, over the past few years particularly, has put us in a perilous position. If the club is to survive with him remaining as Chairman I feel he definitely needs to change his ways of working.

He said: "it will be a monumental failure should we be relegated to the National League". 26th March 2021, Evening Echo.

Whatever anyone thinks of Ron that is pretty self-deprecating when it comes to a football club he both owns and runs as an autocracy as many claim.

I am 100 per cent in agreement with a protest. Blackpool and Charlton fans have battled away in an effort to get their clubs back in a situation where the fans are happier with the ownership. If you passively do nothing then change won't happen. Well done to the SOS organisers.

Were they the same fans who actively weren't happy with Alan Curbishley for only finishing 7th in the PL..... Charlton fans are just trying to undue the mess they started.

Owen Oyston was convicted of stealing £26m form Blackpool after their trip to the PL as well as rape. He has never paid it back and allowed the club to drop to L2 to punish the fans.

Here's a fact not many of you know. Ron was offered control of Blackpool a few years back.

He said: "it will be a monumental failure should we be relegated to the National League". 26th March 2021, Evening Echo.

Whatever anyone thinks of Ron that is pretty self-deprecating when it comes to a football club he both owns and runs as an autocracy as many claim.

...and he seems to be laying the blame for that on the managers and players, not himself.

What do you suggest is the right thing to do ?

Agree some SIMPLE but challenging, shared objectives with Ron first and then help, where we can, to deliver them. A memorandum of understanding if you like between supporters, sponsors, the Club and ideally the Council on key deliverables. The development of the ground and a return to the EFL within two seasons would be the starting point.

Fully onboard with whatever steps SOS and other groups feel is necessary to secure a future for the club. It's clear and obvious that Southend United Football Club has been run with the bare minimum of funds and with no plan, lurching from one disaster to the next.

I would also like to see fan pressure turn on Southend council as well. For as long as I can remember they have been a hindrance to the club's progression, to the point of actively seeking to kill it at times when I was a lad in the 80's. I have rare video evidence of this that I'm looking forward to publishing on YouTube once I figure out how to do that.

Does SOS have any plans at the present time to lobby/protest Southend BC as well?

Fully onboard with whatever steps SOS and other groups feel is necessary to secure a future for the club. It's clear and obvious that Southend United Football Club has been run with the bare minimum of funds and with no plan, lurching from one disaster to the next.

I would also like to see to fan pressure turn on Southend council as well. For as long as I can remember they have been a hindrance to the club's progression, to the point of actively seeking to kill it at times when I was a lad in the 80's. I have rare video evidence of this that I'm looking forward to publishing on YouTube once I figure out how to do that.

Does SOS have any plans at the present time to lobby/protest Southend BC as well?

That is a great point. I would also say the MP as well but they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot. (RIP Sir Teddy)

Will there also be a demonstration / protest outside council offices for their lack of support for FF. It does seem that the council are so disinterested in the application, and with local elections coming up in the next couple of weeks the council make up could all change, and Ron will be back to square one trying to convince new councilors about his proposal.

Its not just Ron dragging his heals in appointing CEOs, or paying the tax bills in time. Its also the council as well not supporting what is probably the biggest asset the town has outside of the pier.

Absolutely not so. Did you not watch the full council meeting on the development. Did you not read Ian Gilbert's article about the development and the club.

Absolutely not so. Did you not watch the full council meeting on the development. Did you not read Ian Gilbert's article about the development and the club.

Of course they are interested in the application, but only because of the financial windfall and meeting of Govt quotas from the housing element. To them and Ron, the club has been and is nothing more than a vehicle (at best) and a nuisance (at worst).

SBC doesn't care whether we ever get the 4th stand built; it doesn't care whether there is a new covenant on the new stadium that protects the club from ever being homeless; it doesn't care whether the club owns the facilities or what rent it pays; it doesn't care whether the club benefits financially from new income streams.

Once it has its housing and it's financial gains, SBC will check-out from what little interest it has in SUFC.

I think to Supershrimpers point is that there's a history there...of at least 38 years. One positive article from one councillor does little to remedy that.

SBC are fully on board. Why invent problems when there are enough real ones. And yes it is mainly the housing Ron's finally hit the right spot but it is not true the council are anti SUFC.

Back