• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

james_c

First XI
a passage from craig eastons blog

I also felt for Rhys Evans as he was gutted about the way he conceded the first goal, especially after not putting a foot wrong and making a couple of decent saves against Oxford. He also made a couple of important stops later in the game which is testament to his character to keep going even after being jeered by a small minority of our own crowd. I was really disappointed with that, the lad knows he could have done better and felt bad enough and it also gives the opposition a boost, as if Cheltenham needed that. I’ve also got to mention Blair Sturrock as along with Barry, he has worked his socks off for us in the last couple of games. He gives everything and sometimes it doesn’t come off so it was poor to hear the reaction when he got substituted on Monday. I know we haven’t given you much to shout about at home but it’s not for want of trying. If we come off the field and haven’t given everything we can, and even in some cases just been really bad then we can accept and deserve the criticism as a team. It’s part and parcel of football, but when individuals are getting an unfair amount of stick then we have to stand by them because we’re in this as a team. No-one tries to make a mistake and there will be a lot more made before the season is over. It’s how we react to them that matters and that means players and fans sticking together

intresting stuff

Spot on from Easton - and shows it DOES get through to them. "good" some of you will say, but dont you realise you are just making it worse??

have your digs on here, or if you really have to 'boo' do it collectively at the end of a game, but no use singling out players for stick DURING a game... just not on, so please think next time.

yep players respond to confidence and encouragement and not being put down as it does favours to no one.

.......maybe Mr Easton would have an insight into some fans frustration if he realised that in spite there being a small crowd, the West Stand had a queue well up Shakespeare drive just prior KO because only 2 'windows' were open and then run out of tickets at 2.55, meaning a good few missed the first ten minutes (lucky lot!).

Trouble is I doubt if most of the boo boys ever come on here (apart from the obvious candidates). Might be worth someone more poetic than me coming up with a chant for TBV to sing at the crowd when they get on a players back. Something that simply says support him not slaughter him.

How could it not filter onto the pitch? These lads are only human, no one goes out with the intention of having a stinker.

.......maybe Mr Easton would have an insight into some fans frustration if he realised that in spite there being a small crowd, the West Stand had a queue well up Shakespeare drive just prior KO because only 2 'windows' were open and then run out of tickets at 2.55, meaning a good few missed the first ten minutes (lucky lot!).

What has this got to do with Craig Easton?

Did you boo the team because you thought they should have pitched in and manned the ticket office before kickoff? As I'm not so sure this would have been a good idea. Rhys Evans would have dropped the cash, Luke Prosser would have sent the tickets sailing over your head, Mohsni would have refused to let go of the tickets, poor old Louis Soares wouldn't have had a clue what to do, and Blair would have been efficient & tidy but completely forgotten to actually give you your tickets.

A bonkers idea. I don't know what you were thinking.

What has this got to do with Craig Easton?

Did you boo the team because you thought they should have pitched in and manned the ticket office before kickoff? As I'm not so sure this would have been a good idea. Rhys Evans would have dropped the cash, Luke Prosser would have sent the tickets sailing over your head, Mohsni would have refused to let go of the tickets, poor old Louis Soares wouldn't have had a clue what to do, and Blair would have been efficient & tidy but completely forgotten to actually give you your tickets.

A bonkers idea. I don't know what you were thinking.

will this start another few rants ?

sufc1234 said:
can someone add the east on blog
EAST ON....

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a good New Year albeit one with less football than usual.

It was still a busy time for the squad as we were preparing for the cancelled fixtures as normal, so we didn’t really get a chance to properly relax over the festive period. I’m not complaining as I’m used to the hectic schedule at this time of year, but had the Barnet game been called off sooner I definitely would’ve had a bit more turkey and trifle! With only a few games surviving in League’s One and Two on the days surrounding Christmas it might have been better to have had a total break. There used to be a winter break in Scotland and it was always nice as you got to spend a bit more time with the family but it sometimes proved a bit pointless as the weather would usually be worse in February. The other problem was that it could take away the momentum of the team. I remember being in third position in the league and still involved in both cups when playing for Dundee United then, after the two week break we hardly won a game, lost our top goalscorer and ended up only just staying up!

It was a brilliant start to the New Year, beating Oxford pretty comfortably. The support away from home was once again fantastic and spurred us on to victory. I felt we could’ve scored more but it was a hard working team performance with Kane Ferdinand doing very well on his debut in the middle of the park. It was a pleasure to play alongside him and I thought he played with maturity beyond his years. Hopefully we’ll see more of him and maybe some of the other youth team players making the step up this season. It was also good to see Matt Paterson coming on and nearly getting a goal after Barry Corr had run himself into the ground.

Unfortunately we didn’t build on our last two victories with defeat coming two days later against Cheltenham at Roots Hall. Where we have started well in the previous two matches and kept clean sheets in both those away games, we couldn’t have started any worse if we’d tried. We gave ourselves a lot to do after going behind 2-0 in the first five minutes but I felt we dug in and deserved at least a draw after putting Cheltenham under pressure for most of the match. The game-plan goes out the window after a start like that and it was unfortunate for Kane as he was sacrificed in order for us to try and get back into the game with Granty being a more attacking option. I also felt for Rhys Evans as he was gutted about the way he conceded the first goal, especially after not putting a foot wrong and making a couple of decent saves against Oxford. He also made a couple of important stops later in the game which is testament to his character to keep going even after being jeered by a small minority of our own crowd. I was really disappointed with that, the lad knows he could have done better and felt bad enough and it also gives the opposition a boost, as if Cheltenham needed that. I’ve also got to mention Blair Sturrock as along with Barry, he has worked his socks off for us in the last couple of games. He gives everything and sometimes it doesn’t come off so it was poor to hear the reaction when he got substituted on Monday. I know we haven’t given you much to shout about at home but it’s not for want of trying. If we come off the field and haven’t given everything we can, and even in some cases just been really bad then we can accept and deserve the criticism as a team. It’s part and parcel of football, but when individuals are getting an unfair amount of stick then we have to stand by them because we’re in this as a team. No-one tries to make a mistake and there will be a lot more made before the season is over. It’s how we react to them that matters and that means players and fans sticking together.

We’re really kicking ourselves as we could’ve jumped a few places and put ourselves in the mix with a victory. We’re still not far away and a couple of wins can take us closer to the play-off places, so the next three games are really important. If we play like we did against Oxford and Cheltenham first time round then we’ve got a real chance of getting the points we need.

Up The Blues

Easty

Have supported the blues since 1967 and for the first time I feel totally embarrassed and ashamed to be a Southend supporter. The few that boo and insult the players disgust me

Keeper who can't keep in getting boo's shocker.

Really what did he expect, those two 'saves' were spectacularly bad. He deserves ridicule for having the audacity for calling himself a goal keeper.

Now that seagull, he was funny. How come he doesn't get a mention in Eastons article?

:winking:

Does Evans not accept responsibility for the second goal too then? He should be!
Having watched the highlights, it does look like the ball bobbled just before Evans got his hand to it.

Having watched the highlights, it does look like the ball bobbled just before Evans got his hand to it.
Yeah it did, it was rolling along the ground into his hands then it bounced awkwardly, at the time I'd assumed he'd got his hands on the ball and parried it into his net but you can see it actually bobbled over them at the wrong moment

Keeper who can't keep in getting boo's shocker.

Really what did he expect, those two 'saves' were spectacularly bad. He deserves ridicule for having the audacity for calling himself a goal keeper.

Surely though, of all the players on the pitch it's not a good idea to ridicule your own goalkeeper? It just seems so counter-productive.

Surely though, of all the players on the pitch it's not a good idea to ridicule your own goalkeeper? It just seems so counter-productive.

But even the match report on the Southend United official site ridicules our own keeper for the two mistakes, ok the report is after the match but even so.
Mind you I think someone on here posted that now we sacked the goalkeeper coach the 2 goalies now do their own pre-match warm ups. Lee Turners warm-ups seemed very thorough, I have not been in the ground early enough to see what the 2 keepers now do.

I see both sides of it.

It's obvious booing won't encourage or motivate players, so is very counter-productive.

However, as we know, money is tight these days, recession etc etc, and going to Roots Hall for most, isn't cheap. So when people are forking out their hard earned cash on this so-called "entertainment", it's easy to understand people's frustrations when the team is constantly playing poor, (and tbh i've seen some really bad performances so far this season). Being 2-0 down after 5 minutes is bound to get people riled up.

IMO, if this bad start/performance in the last game was a one-off, the reaction (booing etc) would have been less severe. The problem is, these poor performances are a regular occurance at the moment.

Back