• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

South Africa Tour 2019/20

Is anyone really that surprised by England’s batting performance? It’s been far from even adequate for the last several Test series.

Its why Stokes should never be captain imho

Would be like Botham captaincy era or Flintoff
Exactly, you need an even temperament. You can add KP to that list as well.
I can't think of a captain from the squad that I would be confident in though. I don't think Morgan has any interest in test cricket now otherwise I'd suggest him

Is anyone really that surprised by England’s batting performance? It’s been far from even adequate for the last several Test series.
No not really, although I was hoping that the poor performances in the last test were down to the illnesses given that the 2nd innings batting was better than the 1st

Exactly, you need an even temperament. You can add KP to that list as well.
I can't think of a captain from the squad that I would be confident in though. I don't think Morgan has any interest in test cricket now otherwise I'd suggest him
I know I go on and on about him but Sam Northeast would be my vote, thing against him no test experience and I wonder if he has done something wrong not to get a call up
My Kent season ticket holder reckons he was a **** and went for the money and not too many sad to see him go

Isn't Sir Benley of Stokes just a joy to watch? Bunch of stuff I'm trying to do work-wise this morning but I can't take my eyes of this! :-D

{EDIT}
And, with apologies, that right there is as close to a commentator's curse as you'll find!

Lead over 350 now and that’s more than enough.
They will bat on of course and there’s no rain around so this is all set up. Really pleased for Sibley and Stokes is just an animal.
Look what can happen when the top order do their jobs

After the doom and gloom after the 1st test could it be that we will win this and prove ourselves the better side now the team are all 100% after illnesses? An away series win in SA is always a big achievement. Perhaps this test side isn't as bad as we all thought

Interesting fact Sibley first visiting player to get a century by an opening batsmen in SA in 27 tests, last one Kraig Braithewaite in Dec 2014

After the doom and gloom after the 1st test could it be that we will win this and prove ourselves the better side now the team are all 100% after illnesses? An away series win in SA is always a big achievement. Perhaps this test side isn't as bad as we all thought

Think the bowlers are excellent on both sides and the batsmen excuse the pun hit and miss

Isn't Sir Benley of Stokes just a joy to watch? Bunch of stuff I'm trying to do work-wise this morning but I can't take my eyes of this! :-D

{EDIT}
And, with apologies, that right there is as close to a commentator's curse as you'll find!

Same here with the same timing sending an update message to some overseas Shrimpers. Was hoping for a century before lunch.

Maybe it's just the test side we are when the openers do their job effectively and give our middle order the platform to perform? As opposed to being the test side we are when they don't? We're pretty much one or the other. At least, that's the only conclusion I've been able to come to.

Maybe it's just the test side we are when the openers do their job effectively and give our middle order the platform to perform? As opposed to being the test side we are when they don't? We're pretty much one or the other. At least, that's the only conclusion I've been able to come to.

Basically yes, the top three blunted the new ball allowing more free flowing stroke play from the likes of Root and Stokes. Sibley's was the innings we've been crying out for. I hope to god he comes good because along with Burns we finally look like having a formidable opening pair for the first time since Cook and Strauss.

I must admit I was getting a bit tense before that 2 wicket Stokes over. The guy just steps up at important times, hell of a player

Ben Stokes you beauty, what a performance.

His second innings knock of 72 from 47 balls with 7 * 4's and 3 * 6's, his 6 catches, and his 23.4 overs with 8 maidens, 34 for 3 to wrap it all up.

Oh how I love 5 day test matches, so many twists and turns, just fantastic cricket.

Well done ALL of the England team and the support from Barmy Army, have a good night lads.

england_flag.gif englandbadge.gif england_flag.gif

Back