• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton - An Overview

Southendsleeper

Manager
McCormack - easily man of the match. Scything tackles flying in, good distribution, and a stunning goal. The goal looked like a Gower type of shot, blasted in.

Bradbury - oh so many chances, but still offered a lot for the team. Finishing aside, a good performance

Sodje - Another face to face with an opposition player, headers galore, just immense

Clarke - How unlucky? They equalise as he's coming on...

The standing ovation for JCR was good, I thought Hammell had a cracking game too, outjumping a player much taller than him to get a header in

But how did we play like that? What brought it on. Southampton were a good side, played it around well and it was end to end stuff making last weeks drearfest look like the poor advert for football it had been.

Southampton fans were good value too, some nice banter between the fans.

Daryl responding to the fans chants never ceases to amuse
laugh.gif

There was some hilarious diving as well by two Southampton players in particular, both lying on the floor, both shooting up when the ref ignored them and the ball came near.

And the Blue Belles are still wearing red
glare.gif

Oh and definitely drop that Eastwood fella, he wasnt very good, chasing the ball, passing to Bradbury when he could have had a shot. Fluky goal too, beating all those defenders like that
tounge.gif

Forgot to mention the music played as well

Vertigo and I predict a riot

Is he having a laugh or what?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Dec. 09 2006,18:06)]You mean the PA system was working?! Next you'll tell me that we've replaced all the bulbs on the scoreboard so it works!
Almost. It kept flashing 'Come on You Blues' for most of the match. First time it has done that for years!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Dec. 09 2006,18:04)]Forgot to mention the music played as well

Vertigo and I predict a riot

Is he having a laugh or what?
Also, 15 minutes before kick off what comes over the PA system?..............Talking Heads - The Road To Nowhere
laugh.gif

Someone at the club has a weird sense of humour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Dec. 09 2006,18:06)]You mean the PA system was working?! Next you'll tell me that we've replaced all the bulbs on the scoreboard so it works!
Well it was 2' 0 for a while

And it didnt say Southend and then next matches opposition which its started doing when we score

[b said:
Quote[/b] (solihullshrimper @ Dec. 09 2006,18:09)]That scoreboard has never worked since it was in Southend Hogh Street!
It never worked that well when it was in the High Street either. I wonder why they got rid of it!

Francis and Hammell were immense today. Hammell didn't put a foot wrong and Francis made some outstanding sliding interceptions early on.

McCormack made all the difference in the midfield.

Aside from the sitters, Bradbury looked class today. How many other players can flick the ball onto themselves from goal kicks on such a regular basis?

Wonderful team performance.

In my opinion, we showed today what we really should have been doing right from Day One - fighting tooth and nail for every single ball, and remaining focused at all times.

So many times this season we've been happy to calmly play a passing game, losing concentration (and subsequently goals) along the way and simply being out-fought by some very competitive sides.

We know we aren't technically as gifted as a number of sides in this division, so we have to scrap for every ball. There's no doubt it's effective, as Col U have proved only too well. Man for man they probably have the weakest squad in the division, but they give nothing away and fight for everything. At last, it seems to have rubbed off on SUFC; let's hope it continues, if it does we'll have a fighting chance.

A positive outlook? perhaps - after our next three (undoubtedly tough) home games the rest of the season at Roots Hall reads as follows: QPR, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Burnley, Leeds, Col******r, Barnsley, Luton. Hardly the most daunting set of fixtures.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperbhoy @ Dec. 09 2006,18:20)]Francis and Hammell were immense today.  Hammell didn't put a foot wrong and Francis made some outstanding sliding interceptions early on.  

McCormack made all the difference in the midfield.

Aside from the sitters, Bradbury looked class today.  How many other players can flick the ball onto themselves from goal kicks on such a regular basis?

Wonderful team performance.
I thought Hammell was very good again today. I'm sorry, I just cannot see why some people on here want him dropped.

Flahavan: His point blank save just before our second was truly incredible.

Francis: I thought he was pretty decent today. I personally see an awful lot of potential in him, which makes some of the miscues etc he does the more frustrating. A confidence player.

Sodje: As usual, full commitment, although far more of his headers went astray than normal.

Prior: Good to see him advising others and giving pep talks but he seemed slightly ruffled under pressure today.

Hammell: As I said at the top.

Campbell-Ryce: 110% effort as usual. The amount of ground he covered today was phenomenal and he had his hands full with Bale. He was involved in some nice pass and move bits of play.

McCormack: What a performance. Stunning, stunning goal to top off one of the best midfield displays I've seen for some time.

Hunt: The only one who looked slightly out of his depth. He needs to put his foot in more if he's asked to play in midfield. My Uncle put it correct when he said he bets Lewis must look at McCormack and think, thank God I don't have to play against him.

Gower: Some nice play mixed with some sloppy moments.

Eastwood: The old Freddy was back. 'nuff said.

Bradbury: Boy have we missed him, although he should've buried his 2 clear cut chances.

I personally didn't get the substitution. Surely if we were gonna take JCR off we should've brought Hoops on? Especially as we know Hunt isn't known for his determined running and Bale was causing so much grief with his.

And for all the people who don't understand why we bring everyone back at corners, Brush explained to us near the dugout when questioned that the players want to do it like that. Hmm. Nobody dared say though, well they aren't in charge. Plus John Stannard told us to pass on the words "f%ck off" to someone who had a go at Tilly during the second half.    
oops.gif

Finally, Gareth Bale, the most impressive visiting player to the Hall this season? Even more so as he's just 17. Very impressive indeed, especially the speed at which he can run with the ball.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Dec. 09 2006,19:37)]
Finally, Gareth Bale, the most impressive visiting player to the Hall this season? Even more so as he's just 17. Very impressive indeed, especially the speed at which he can run with the ball.
Beat JCR for pace at one point

Granted we were leading 2-0, but still...

ratings:

flavs - 8: great saves to keep us in it
francis - 7: quality defensively but passing was poor on occasions
prior - 7: did well against BWP
sodje - 7.5: man mountain as usual
hammell - 8: my pick of the defense, got better as the game went on
gower - 7.5: dangerous but didnt forget his defensive juties, really looks fit now
macca - 8.5: MOTM, quality goal and bossed the midfield, was a calming influence and a tiger at the same time
hunt - 7: best game in midfield from him, still needs to work on his awareness however, but did well
JCR - 7.5: excellent game from jamal, defended well, swapped sides and put the ball in the box (because people were actually in it!)
bradders - 8: we have missed him! probably should have got on the scoresheet however
freddy - 8.5: back to his best, played like a nutter and proved how much we will miss him if/when he goes.. great goal and great workrate

clarke - 7 sured things up in the last 5 and was unlucky that the goal went in jsut has he was running onto the pitch

ref 8 - thought he was really good apart from maybe when gower seemed to be headbutted in the chest, even if he tripped its stilla foul!!

fans 10 - got behind the boys as they got going! quality!

southampton fans -oo! what w&nkers!

Yep much improved today. We showed good fighting spirit and created lots of chances in the second half.

But does anyone else feel rather short changed, i mean why can't Southend play or try like this week in week out? It's no good playing like this for the odd game, we need consistency throughout the team on a regular basis.

Both goals were superb, McCormack easily MOM, with Sodje a close second, nothing passed him today did it!

I thought their left back Gareth Bale was immense today, what a player. Capped by Wales and he's only 17.

Let's hope they can get out of this mess, but let's not get too carried away with just one win.

We need to win 10 more games to stay up Tilly says.

Excellent all round performance. passion and purpose BUT we must keep the ball better if we are to move on from this

Back