• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southchurch Park cricket pavilion set to be torn down

What a disgrace. The world record amount of runs score in a day. Including 200 by Don Bradman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the economics of it but am unhappy about the cultural and historical loss of this.
The parks are nowadays all about low maintenance, low care costs, other than the flower parts of Chalkwell, Priory, Cliffs.
T'was a super park in 60, 70 s. Cricket week, rowing boats, paddle boats, small zoo, cinder track, big slide, cheescutter etc, and a small zoo/aviary.
Now not so much.

Still brings a tear to my eye when they announced Keith Boyce was retiring and he stood alone on the balcony of that great old pavilion.

There are 2 pavillions in southchurch park. As I recall, the one pictured was not used by the county players during the Essex festivals, they used the other one in the south east corner of the ground which I presume is not under threat.

I can understand the economics of it but am unhappy about the cultural and historical loss of this.
The parks are nowadays all about low maintenance, low care costs, other than the flower parts of Chalkwell, Priory, Cliffs.
T'was a super park in 60, 70 s. Cricket week, rowing boats, paddle boats, small zoo, cinder track, big slide, cheescutter etc, and a small zoo/aviary.
Now not so much.
Ms Mulroney added plans were being drawn up to demolish the pavilion and reinstate the area it is based on as park land.

Ms Mulroney added plans were being drawn up to demolish the pavilion and reinstate the area it is based on as park land.
Yes, it will be much easier to keep going in brick than the wood timber frame.

Wasn't there a small putting green near the cafe, by the tennis courts as well?

There are 2 pavillions in southchurch park. As I recall, the one pictured was not used by the county players during the Essex festivals, they used the other one in the south east corner of the ground which I presume is not under threat.
Isn't that being slowly reclaimed by the trees?

in the 50s i used to man the scoreboard for the cricket there on a Saturday , the tea ladies would always bring me tea and sandwiches during the tea brreak i was just a 7 year old at that time. Very fond memories of my Saturdays there.

Back