• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wasn't available to go last night. I listened to from a distance on Blues Player which suggested that we were unlucky to not get at least a point. Better finishing would have helped but was it as dire as some on here would have me think. It's only the third league game and it was a Tuesday night after all:unsure:

I listened too and apart from a bright start from Wimbledon it sounded like we were the better team. Some poor finishing on our part and a very good set piece cost us.

Phil Brown also happy with performance if not result.

Not sure how everyone is giving people 5 out of 10's, do we just mark them on the result rather than their performance?

Cracking game, played at a frantic pace. The wombles certainly didn't come for the draw and were definately better in the first 20 mins. We gradually got back into the game and so nearly nicked a point at the end.

Bentley - 7 Thought his handling was good. Perhaps should have been covering the other side of the goal for their free-kick (like to see it again), but it was a lovely strike.

White - 6.5 Very average
Coker - 7 Looked good. Won several headers and tackles and got forward well
Bolger - 7 Classy player. Did well up against two difficult strikers
Prosser - 7 Another good game from LP. Strong in the air and no-nonsense defending

Hurst - 6.5 Played ok. Got some nice crosses in some showed some nice touches (just needs another yard of pace)
Clifford - 6.5 He got outmuscled in the first 20 mins, but got stronger as the game went on.
Leonard - 6.5 Struggled to get a grip of the midfield. Can never fault his workrate. Nearly scored from his trademark free-kick
Coulthirst - 6.5 Looks a really tricky player, just needs to not panic in front of goal. Ideal player to have on loan in the lower leagues. I feel once he gets a tap in, and his confidence rises, he'll go on to score a hatful.

Weston - 8 My MOTM. Ran at them with pace, and there was always an end product. A top signing.
Corr - 6.5 Did ok, but they marked him very tightly

Subs -
Barnard - 6.5 Mainly aerial balls at that time, which isn't his game. Looks sharp, though.
Worrall - 7 Wanted to get forward at RB, but was pinned back by their winger. Looks a good player
Payne - 7 Looked lively and offered something different by running at them. Could be very effective away from home in a 4-5-1.

My only disappointment was how quick our supporters left the ground, without applauding our heroes. Yes, we lost, but I believe the work they put in last night after playing on Saturday (particularly in the last 15 mins) was worthy of acknowledgement from us. If they don't try, then fair point..but last night they did and we got beat by a decent team who took their chance when it came. The players need to know we're 100% behind them...win or lose. Rant over.

I would have said that 5 out of 10 for some was right. Yes we had a lot of possession and had 14 efforts on goal, but only tested the keeper on 2 occasions. There were lots if mis placed passes and many wrong decisions made all over the pitch. It was a game there to be won and we should have. It's only three games in so maybe an overreaction but we do need a goalscorer as none of the front guys look like they will get 15 plus which arguably is what you need to get out if this league.

A good team display except for the shooting accuracy. If Anyone is going to score they must get their aim better. The forwards will get the blame as that is their primary role but across the team we don't seem to have our "eye" in. Phil called it right in his post match interview in that an early goal would have settled us down.
This was a very winnable game and lessons need to be learnt from it- such as how to deal with AA - get close ( very) get in front of him - he can't jump, don't wrestle with him.
I am don't despairing and I am still confident in our lads, especially when Tims and Atko are available to bolster a light midfield.

Wow, so John White is the scapegoat for last night is he? :facepalm:

That match was played and won in midfield. Ours was absent last night, and really showed how we miss the endeavour of Atkinson and/or Timlin. Lenny had one of his poorest games for us, Clifford was easily the pick of midfield. I thought Hurst was better than Saturday though. Like someone else said, why did we start putting decent crosses into the box only once Corr had been subbed? And why do we keep on with short corners when we clearly haven't got the vaguest idea of how to use them to our benefit?!! Credit has to go to Wimbledon though, it was a fairly evenly matched game, and their attacking bursts were better than ours.

Bentley - 6, I also felt his positioning was poor for the free kick from which they scored
White 6 - nowhere near as bad as some are making out, two bad "passes" where he expected people to be running on (just a lack of understanding between players), and some good defensive headers
Bolger - 6, one header off the line late on, didn't cope with Akinfenwa as well as Prosser, which I think 'Bayo used to his advantage. Wasn't it him that gave away the free kick they scored from? Though, it looked a foul the other way to me!
Prosser - 7, impressive in his tussles with Akinfenwa, tried to use the ball sensibly
Coker - 6, not as much influence as on Saturday, the whole wing work wasn't anywhere near as good
Hurst - 6, worked hard defensively, couple of good crosses
Clifford - 7, industrious and kept calm!
Leonard - 6, shooting boots were off last night, looked to me as if he was possibly carrying a niggle
Coulthirst - 6, L2 is a physical game, he needs to learn this and work out how to deal with it
Weston - 8, easy choice for MOM, worked very hard both wide and centrally
Corr - 7, looked a bit tired, I think I'd have preferred Barney to start and Corr to come on

Subs:
Worrall for White - 7, didn't really understand this sub as Worrall went to RB, we should have gone 3 at the back at that time. Worrall's crosses were infinitely better to anything we'd had before he came on. He deserves to start next game
Barnard for Corr - 6, physically did ok, but didn't seem to have any influence
Payne for Coulthirst - 6, Jack looked a little out of his depth

Officials:
Oh my goodness, what a woeful performance from the ref! Wimbledon's 'keeper should have been booked in the first half for time wasting, and yet he got through the whole game without one! Akinfenwa was using his forearms across people's faces when challenging for the ball (and this was how I saw the incident with Bolger that gave them their free kick). He just didn't stamp his authority on the game at all.

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose, springs to mind. Never mind, moving on.....COYBB.

Enjoyed the game, despite the result.......hope Atkinson is fit for the trip to Carlisle, I think Hurst needs to be left on the bench but he seems to ne Browns love child so if he plays $hit he still stays on

This is only game #3 and we have a long way to go..........without a decent striker, unless he gives the lad from Billericay a chance might be another Freddy waiting in the wings.........I thought the Wombles played some good football in the first 20 minutes,but if you don't take your chances you don't win games.

I thought the ref wasn't that bad, played a fantastic advantage in the second half which I think led to our best chance of the game. Yes he could have booked a few players but you don't want him to being booking every single player for every bad cahllenge
Wow, so John White is the scapegoat for last night is he? :facepalm:

That match was played and won in midfield. Ours was absent last night, and really showed how we miss the endeavour of Atkinson and/or Timlin. Lenny had one of his poorest games for us, Clifford was easily the pick of midfield. I thought Hurst was better than Saturday though. Like someone else said, why did we start putting decent crosses into the box only once Corr had been subbed? And why do we keep on with short corners when we clearly haven't got the vaguest idea of how to use them to our benefit?!! Credit has to go to Wimbledon though, it was a fairly evenly matched game, and their attacking bursts were better than ours.

Bentley - 6, I also felt his positioning was poor for the free kick from which they scored
White 6 - nowhere near as bad as some are making out, two bad "passes" where he expected people to be running on (just a lack of understanding between players), and some good defensive headers
Bolger - 6, one header off the line late on, didn't cope with Akinfenwa as well as Prosser, which I think 'Bayo used to his advantage. Wasn't it him that gave away the free kick they scored from? Though, it looked a foul the other way to me!
Prosser - 7, impressive in his tussles with Akinfenwa, tried to use the ball sensibly
Coker - 6, not as much influence as on Saturday, the whole wing work wasn't anywhere near as good
Hurst - 6, worked hard defensively, couple of good crosses
Clifford - 7, industrious and kept calm!
Leonard - 6, shooting boots were off last night, looked to me as if he was possibly carrying a niggle
Coulthirst - 6, L2 is a physical game, he needs to learn this and work out how to deal with it
Weston - 8, easy choice for MOM, worked very hard both wide and centrally
Corr - 7, looked a bit tired, I think I'd have preferred Barney to start and Corr to come on

Subs:
Worrall for White - 7, didn't really understand this sub as Worrall went to RB, we should have gone 3 at the back at that time. Worrall's crosses were infinitely better to anything we'd had before he came on. He deserves to start next game
Barnard for Corr - 6, physically did ok, but didn't seem to have any influence
Payne for Coulthirst - 6, Jack looked a little out of his depth

Officials:
Oh my goodness, what a woeful performance from the ref! Wimbledon's 'keeper should have been booked in the first half for time wasting, and yet he got through the whole game without one! Akinfenwa was using his forearms across people's faces when challenging for the ball (and this was how I saw the incident with Bolger that gave them their free kick). He just didn't stamp his authority on the game at all.

A very frustrating game to lose, but a game that we certainly didn't deserve to lose! Could have easily won by a couple, but credit to Wimbledon, they look a good outfit.

Bentley - 6 - I'm not sure what a lot of you were watching, but the goal is completely Dan's fault. I really like him, but he will be hugely disappointed with it. He spent an age setting his wall up, and as a keeper if their lad gets it up and over your wall into the top corner there is nothing you can do, you have to protect your side of the goal. Dan took a step that way as he hit it, leaving himself rooted. If he had just stood there then it would have hit him in the face. Other than that he did well, looked to get us on the attack at every chance he had.
White - 4 - Christ he is **** isn't he. No wonder we are looking for a right back.
Bolger - 5 - Really poor showing, hope it wasn't an off day, or we've wasted 25k
Prosser - 7 - Pick of the back line. Dealt with Akinfenwa pretty well, and look assured.
Coker - 7 - Typical performance from super Ben Coker.
Clifford - 8 - Our best player again.
Lenny - 7 - Thought Lenny struggled to have his usual massive impact on the game, but I'm not knocking him, played well enough.
Hurst - (Before they scored 2, after they scored 6) - Says it all.
Weston - 7 - Lively, should have scored.
Coultihurst - 6 - Showed some good moments, but should have scored at least 1
Corr - 6 - Struggled after AB smashed him.

Subs:
Barnard - 6 - Not sure how he didn't score that header.
Payne - N/A
Worrall - 5 - Crap. Not a right back.

Ref - 1 - What a complete bottle job tosser.

Either White or Hurst it seems at the moment when we lose, without Smith playing.

Behave superkings.....do you believe that Hurst played well last night and he wasn't great against Stevenage on Saturday, White wasn't great either, then again nor was Lenny or Corr or the Spurs lad....too many went missing at times last night

Behave superkings.....do you believe that Hurst played well last night and he wasn't great against Stevenage on Saturday, White wasn't great either, then again nor was Lenny or Corr or the Spurs lad....too many went missing at times last night

White and Hurst both terrible yesterday, hurst needs to be dropped. White give another chance as he hasn't been bad every game yet.

It was all back to front last night. The crosses came thick and fast after Corr had gone off. Clueless. If we are going to do that, then play a faster striker than Corr up front, and try and beat them with pace to start, then bring Corr on later and bomb the crosses in.

It was all back to front last night. The crosses came thick and fast after Corr had gone off. Clueless. If we are going to do that, then play a faster striker than Corr up front, and try and beat them with pace to start, then bring Corr on later and bomb the crosses in.
I agree with this totally. I said this yesterday to my friends I went with, Corr would have been perfect late on.

We also didn't put in first time crosses, we had to beat the defender 2 or 3 times first and give them time to organise themselves.

Thought Brown was a bit generous with his praise. Yes we didnt play badly but realistically it was much like last season, no cutting edge in the final third.
Think we need to go back to 3 in the middle, Leonard is playing too deep. Cliffrod did well but his forward passing is not incisive enough. We missed Timlins leadership in there. Would imagine Brown will be looking at another centre mid on loan maybe.
Shaq looks a bit like Woodrow for me, technically v good but not sure he will be the answer to our shortage of goals. Was impresed by Worrall when he came in and Weston put a real good shift in.

One thing that I have noticed is how poor some of our set pieces have become and that we dont really have a Cresswell or a Phillips who looks a threat from the back. The delivery is poor at times too.

Does this team have 80 goals in them this season? Not sure myself.

Officials:

Can't believe there's not more comments like this. West side linesman was well off place for most of the game and woeful is the only word for the ref. Akinfenwa got away with murder in my opinion, spent most of the match pushing Prosser and anyone else who got near him. Also when he dawdled off when subbed I thought ref was going over to give yellow card for time wasting and instead walked alongside him appearing to have a friendly chat, wtf was all that about? Just not our night.

Last season 79% of games the team scored nil or one,This season so far 75% of games this team score nil or one!

We cannot score many that is for sure.

Back