• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last season 79% of games the team scored nil or one,This season so far 75% of games this team score nil or one!

We cannot score many that is for sure.

I seem to remember Brown when at Hull saying that his team was always based on not conceding , and winning by te odd goal

He seems to be repeating that here......

Did anyone else get annoyed by the fact we kept taking short corners? Instead of getting the ball into the box

Did anyone else see Ben Coker having a go on Twitter at Chris Phillips for saying about the Tuesday stat?

I did and i told BC to use it as motivation to break this run....that worked well. Not sure why he was having a dig at CP, its his job as a journo to provide this sort of info although many of us knew it already. Not sure a player should be bothering himself with this sort of thing before a game anyway.

It was so bloody frustrating listening to (and I'm not refering to BP switching backwards and forwards from Southend to Colchester commentary at the start of the game), it must have been even worse being there. The further the game went on the greater became the feeling that we were never going to score last night, I even sensed that the commentators thought that too. Not being there I can't comment on individual performances but I suppose the old adage of, 'if you don't take your chances, you don't win games,' applies.
I find the Coulthirst situation an interesting, if not worrying one. The lad obviously needs a goal (sooner than later) to boost his confidence, as someone suggested earlier, rather like Woodrow last season. He also needs a goal to justify his place in the side and his automatic appearance on the teamsheet gives me the impression that he is here to play games. He, rather like Woodrow, is loaned on a piece of elastic. If he is not used regularly I imagine, like Fulham with Woodrow, Spurs will recall him and loan him off somewhere else. It's in everyone's interests that he finds his mark soon.

Can't believe there's not more comments like this. West side linesman was well off place for most of the game and woeful is the only word for the ref. Akinfenwa got away with murder in my opinion, spent most of the match pushing Prosser and anyone else who got near him. Also when he dawdled off when subbed I thought ref was going over to give yellow card for time wasting and instead walked alongside him appearing to have a friendly chat, wtf was all that about? Just not our night.

I'm guessing it was a friendly chat about timewasting. The ref then rewarded his friend with 6 minutes of added time. There's no better way to deal with it.

Like others on the item, why oh why do we take off Corr, for Barnard who has not impressed me once so fair this season, and then we start sending high balls into the box. great tactic PB. For me the MOM was Prosser dealing with Akinfenwa, who uses his arms,elbows etc.

I agree with all of that, except there was another clear error where he came for a cross and missed it and Prosser cleared from a yard out (2nd half). I only mention it as had Smith played this thread would already be 10 pages long on how.he lost us the game

Quite right-Bentley is a very promising keeper but he is young and hopefully learning quickly because he makes a fair few mistakes.
He was no-where near that free-kick which was less powerful and furthr out than the 2 Walsall goals that some idiots blamed Smith for last week.
Worrall's was the only good substitution last night-Payne should have replaced Hurst early in the second half and Barnard for Coulthirst towards the end.

Pretty disappointing all round, we could have got something out of the game, maybe deserved something out of it, but it never really looked like happening. Interesting there was a lot of talk about Wimbledons long ball game pre match, but they outplayed us on the floor for the first 20/25 minutes until we got a grip on the game.

I was really struggling for a MOM for us....thought Prosser and Bolger looked solid first half, but Bolger let himself down with a couple of awful passes second half and Prosser lost too much in the air to Akinfenwa (yes he's a big unit, but Prosser is a few inches taller and Akinfenwa can't jump). Then thought Clifford had maybe done enough for MOM as he was quite tidy, but he then faded horribly in the last 30 minutes. Coulthirst had a decent first half but a less productive second half. So in the end MOM goes to Weston as he carried a threat throughout the game.

2 other points
1) Ref : I don't particularly like seeing players booked, but I thought kicking the ball away was a yellow card offence...it seems this ref interpretes it as kicking the ball away twice is a yellow card offence...one from each side did it and were told "no more or your in the book"? I know footballers aren't bright, but they do already know it's a bookable offence

2) Barnard : I know we've had to give him a contract, but can we not just pay him off and move on? He's clearly not good enough...we may as well give Layne a go, at least he might improve.
I never ever leave early, but when we went 1-0 down, there was 25 mins to go and we replaced Corr with Barnard I very nearly went home.

Pretty disappointing all round, we could have got something out of the game, maybe deserved something out of it, but it never really looked like happening. Interesting there was a lot of talk about Wimbledons long ball game pre match, but they outplayed us on the floor for the first 20/25 minutes until we got a grip on the game.

I was really struggling for a MOM for us....thought Prosser and Bolger looked solid first half, but Bolger let himself down with a couple of awful passes second half and Prosser lost too much in the air to Akinfenwa (yes he's a big unit, but Prosser is a few inches taller and Akinfenwa can't jump). Then thought Clifford had maybe done enough for MOM as he was quite tidy, but he then faded horribly in the last 30 minutes. Coulthirst had a decent first half but a less productive second half. So in the end MOM goes to Weston as he carried a threat throughout the game.

2 other points
1) Ref : I don't particularly like seeing players booked, but I thought kicking the ball away was a yellow card offence...it seems this ref interpretes it as kicking the ball away twice is a yellow card offence...one from each side did it and were told "no more or your in the book"? I know footballers aren't bright, but they do already know it's a bookable offence

2) Barnard : I know we've had to give him a contract, but can we not just pay him off and move on? He's clearly not good enough...we may as well give Layne a go, at least he might improve.
I never ever leave early, but when we went 1-0 down, there was 25 mins to go and we replaced Corr with Barnard I very nearly went home.

Regarding point 2)... Christ on a bike, we're 3 games into the season!?

We always lose Tuesday night games against the lesser teams anyway, we go again Saturday...

Can't say I had the best view of the match as I was in the (far) East Black....but my tuppence worth, was expecting more from Shaq, had a fantastic turn and shot in the first half...not much more. I think he would have more opportunities if he would use his left foot, but he is totally right footed. Clifford looked busy, would want to see more, Leonard needed to be stronger and more decisive. Weston showed a different class, I was really disappointed in the second half when he was putting in cross after cross and no one was getting on the end of them, he needs to be playing alongside a striker who can match his pace - and be in the picture to meet his crosses. Payne was a real threat and should have come on sooner looked closer to scoring than some of our strikers, he nips around players and needs someone who will play a one-two with him, instead of taking glory shots (Barnard). I don't get the 'love' for Corr. I am a new supporter so maybe you can share. :smile:

Well I have seen the Stevenage and AFC Wimbledon games now and they are my first matches in 3 years as I now live abroad.

I have to say that I was underwhelmed with both performances and can't help think that PB has the wrong formation and the wrong tactics though of course i realise that it is very early days in the season and players will need time to adapt with teh difference being that we took our chances against Stevenage and killed teh game early.

I was actually in the Director's Box for AFC and watched PB closely. He appears very keen to play out from the back which personally I think means the back 4 are starting off too deep, which then drops Leonard and Clifford deeper looking for the ball off the back 4 thereby leaving a huge gap between the CM and forward line. Also the distribution from the back was poor.

Coulthirst definately has something about him, but looks lost when not in possession and i think would benefit from a more traditional 4-4-2 formation playing on Corr's shoulder. With him and Weston we have real pace, but didn't once get in behind the Wimbledon back line.

I was so pleased to see White taken off as he offered so little either defensively or supporting Hurst which I think may help explain Hurst's loss of form - how is he Captain by the way as he does not exhibit much leadership to me. Worrall looked much better though it will be interesting to see how good he is defensively when playing away from home.

Anyway, my ratings are :

Bentley 6 - felt he could have slightly better with the goal
White 5 - does little wong but appears very limited
Coker 6 - did ok
Bolger 6 - did ok but distribution is poor
Prosser 6 - as per Bolger
Hurst 5 - seemed out of sorts and crossing was poor
Leonard 6 - too deep and i expected to see him driving forward
Clifford 6 - as per Leonard
Coulthirst 5 - exciting with the ball, but lacked conviction and bottled two challenges at least right in front of me,
Weston 7 - direct and positive
Corr 6 - did ok but nowhere near as effective as against Stevenage

Subs
Worrall 7 - energetic and looking to get forward...and back
Barnard 5 - offered little, how wide was his shot?
Payne 6 - slotted in to the gap between midfield and forwards

Well I have seen the Stevenage and AFC Wimbledon games now and they are my first matches in 3 years as I now live abroad.

I have to say that I was underwhelmed with both performances and can't help think that PB has the wrong formation and the wrong tactics though of course i realise that it is very early days in the season and players will need time to adapt with teh difference being that we took our chances against Stevenage and killed teh game early.

I was actually in the Director's Box for AFC and watched PB closely. He appears very keen to play out from the back which personally I think means the back 4 are starting off too deep, which then drops Leonard and Clifford deeper looking for the ball off the back 4 thereby leaving a huge gap between the CM and forward line. Also the distribution from the back was poor.

Coulthirst definately has something about him, but looks lost when not in possession and i think would benefit from a more traditional 4-4-2 formation playing on Corr's shoulder. With him and Weston we have real pace, but didn't once get in behind the Wimbledon back line.

I was so pleased to see White taken off as he offered so little either defensively or supporting Hurst which I think may help explain Hurst's loss of form - how is he Captain by the way as he does not exhibit much leadership to me. Worrall looked much better though it will be interesting to see how good he is defensively when playing away from home.

Anyway, my ratings are :

Bentley 6 - felt he could have slightly better with the goal
White 5 - does little wong but appears very limited
Coker 6 - did ok
Bolger 6 - did ok but distribution is poor
Prosser 6 - as per Bolger
Hurst 5 - seemed out of sorts and crossing was poor
Leonard 6 - too deep and i expected to see him driving forward
Clifford 6 - as per Leonard
Coulthirst 5 - exciting with the ball, but lacked conviction and bottled two challenges at least right in front of me,
Weston 7 - direct and positive
Corr 6 - did ok but nowhere near as effective as against Stevenage

Subs
Worrall 7 - energetic and looking to get forward...and back
Barnard 5 - offered little, how wide was his shot?
Payne 6 - slotted in to the gap between midfield and forwards
you thought Bentley could of done better with the goal ? That's rubbish as it took a big deflection and no keeper would of saved that one.

Just seen the goal, big deflection off Coulthirsts boot, no chance for Dan.

As for Akinfenwa wasting time walking off, to be fair he wasn't any more mobile during the game. I've never seen him actually run, he just jogs everywhere.

We couldn't have really done much more to win the game. Other than score of course. On other days we will win with half that performance. Didn't think the free kick for their goal was a free kick. They were actually very good and Akinfenwa was just absolutely fantastic. Would love him here! Their number 4 and 11 were also good.

Connor Clifford was fantastic I thought. Leonard disappointing in the sense of playing his usual game, he did a lot of work protecting the back four, but think he's wasted in that position when our formation is 424 (which is what for a lot of it last night).

I thought we had too much width that ultimately stopped us dominating in the middle! Last year I thought we were great when we had a compact 3 in midfield with one wider player. When you look up in midfield you want to see at least 2 of your mates about 10 m away from you! Having said that we absolutely tore into them out wide. I just thought that we needed another body in the middle.

Atkinson's work rate would have been perfect yesterday.

I don't think you can really play with two out and out wingers. If we play 442 we need one winger and one wide midfielder.

Bentley - 6 - was the free kick a deflection?
White - 6 - A bit of a quiet one but didn't think he did too much wrong?
Bolger - 6 - A few dodgy moment but other than solid and built like a fridge!
Prosser - 7 - Composed mostly.
Coker - 7 - Same as always.
Clifford - 9 - Very impressed with him last night. He can be the difference for us this season!
Lenny - 6 - As I said above, protected the back four. Want him to be up and down though.
Hurst - 6 - Not his best but still good bits.
Weston - 8 - Thought he was top notch. Looks like he's going to topple over when he's running though!
Coultihurst - 6 - Needs one to go in for him and then they'll come. Feeling the pressure/expectation of coming from a prem club? Trying a bit too hard to score. Calm down and place them!!!
Corr - 7 - could have done with him for last 10.

Barnard - :(
Payne - one day the plan will work.
Worral - few dodgy touches early on but grew in confidence.

Onwards and upwards aye. Mostly I was happy with the performance apart from the very bitty first 25.

Don't get this love in for Worrall from last night. He got skinned 3 or 4 times to allow Wimbledon to the by line, and also put in 2 or 3 woeful crosses.

you thought Bentley could of done better with the goal ? That's rubbish as it took a big deflection and no keeper would of saved that one.

Yes, i did - having seen the goal now it does take a deflection, I agree.

Incidentally I understand that a number of Premier League clubs are sniffing about one of our keepers, and it's not Bentley!

Yes, i did - having seen the goal now it does take a deflection, I agree.

Incidentally I understand that a number of Premier League clubs are sniffing about one of our keepers, and it's not Bentley!

No surprise there, Ted is a much better prospect than Dan in my humble opinion.

Back