• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
A tough result to take, it was just frustrating to watch. We dominated completely and should have been ahead at half time and I think eventually that is what cost us. No game against Akinfenwa is easy but it made it a difficult job and we just couldn't seem to get our passing together at the start of the first half. We grew into it and slowly improved and by half time we were all over them. They took their one chance and then just sat back to take the result and we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored. Unlucky but frustrating.

Bentley 7 Don't think he could have done much for the goal, made a great save first half and kept the ball moving and got it forward
White 5 Very poor, skinned time and time again by their left winger and looked scared of Akinfenwa, his pointless hoofs down the line and lack of pace cost us going forwards
Bolger 5.5 Not as comfortable with Akinfenwa as Prosser, and his distribution was poor. Some good tackles and interception but struggled
Prosser 6.5 Dealt with Akinfenwa relatively well and tried to play the ball about
Coker 6.5 Not his most convincing performance defensively, but got forward well and added threat, although he looked reluctant to get forward when Shaq was in front of him
Hurst 5 Little to no threat, just seemed desperate for a moment of magic but wasted chance after chance with poor deliveries and shots, should be dropped for a few games, make him earn his place back
Leonard 6 Not his usual self but I think 4-4-2 holds him back as he can't drive forwards in the same way as he did last season, he tried hard but nothing really came off
Clifford 6 Looked exhausted and lazy towards the end but was good in the first half with some good tackles, though he can make some rash decisions and his diving is just wasteful
Coultihurst 4 He really was poor. He gets the chances but can't finish them, he looked like he was out of position out wide and had nearly no threat in the middle, he could use his pace but he just does step overs and tricks instead. So frustrating to watch and should have been taken off earlier.
Weston 8 Our biggest threat, made good runs and utilised his pace, didn't have many chances fall his way and maybe could have finished them off but he made most of the chances we had
Corr 7 Worked hard but didn't have the service until he came off, tactically taking him off was a poor decision but if his back was playing up after the Barrett assault then fair enough

Subs
Barnard 7 Good movement and always seemed to be so close to converting and was massively unlucky that his header didn't go in thanks to a great save
Worrall 7 Good deliveries, moved the ball about and was happy to sit deep and put the ball back in the box, I like him a lot from what I've seen and he did well at right back tonight
Payne 7 Good runs and vision but perhaps tried to do too much at times, unlucky with his shot late on which was well saved

A tough result to take, it was just frustrating to watch. We dominated completely and should have been ahead at half time and I think eventually that is what cost us. No game against Akinfenwa is easy but it made it a difficult job and we just couldn't seem to get our passing together at the start of the first half. We grew into it and slowly improved and by half time we were all over them. They took their one chance and then just sat back to take the result and we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored. Unlucky but frustrating.

Bentley 7 Don't think he could have done much for the goal, made a great save first half and kept the ball moving and got it forward
White 5 Very poor, skinned time and time again by their left winger and looked scared of Akinfenwa, his pointless hoofs down the line and lack of pace cost us going forwards
Bolger 5.5 Not as comfortable with Akinfenwa as Prosser, and his distribution was poor. Some good tackles and interception but struggled
Prosser 6.5 Dealt with Akinfenwa relatively well and tried to play the ball about
Coker 6.5 Not his most convincing performance defensively, but got forward well and added threat, although he looked reluctant to get forward when Shaq was in front of him
Hurst 5 Little to no threat, just seemed desperate for a moment of magic but wasted chance after chance with poor deliveries and shots, should be dropped for a few games, make him earn his place back
Leonard 6 Not his usual self but I think 4-4-2 holds him back as he can't drive forwards in the same way as he did last season, he tried hard but nothing really came off
Clifford 6 Looked exhausted and lazy towards the end but was good in the first half with some good tackles, though he can make some rash decisions and his diving is just wasteful
Coultihurst 4 He really was poor. He gets the chances but can't finish them, he looked like he was out of position out wide and had nearly no threat in the middle, he could use his pace but he just does step overs and tricks instead. So frustrating to watch and should have been taken off earlier.
Weston 8 Our biggest threat, made good runs and utilised his pace, didn't have many chances fall his way and maybe could have finished them off but he made most of the chances we had
Corr 7 Worked hard but didn't have the service until he came off, tactically taking him off was a poor decision but if his back was playing up after the Barrett assault then fair enough

Subs
Barnard 7 Good movement and always seemed to be so close to converting and was massively unlucky that his header didn't go in thanks to a great save
Worrall 7 Good deliveries, moved the ball about and was happy to sit deep and put the ball back in the box, I like him a lot from what I've seen and he did well at right back tonight
Payne 7 Good runs and vision but perhaps tried to do too much at times, unlucky with his shot late on which was well saved

Agree with lots of that , but although I thought Weston was out best player , he missed an absolutely glorious chance in the first half that would have settled things down .
Thought we were unlucky and created more chances than we did on Saturday.
I also thought that Leonard and Clifford were 2 v 3 in the middle for most of the game which made it hard to gain control.
Their left winger had a great first half.

I thought Wimbledon were a decent outfit, very strong down the middle and pacey down the flanks. Having said that, we carved out a ton of chances and on another day could have been 3 up at half time. Their keeper made 2 great saves and a defender kicked one off the line, we could still be playing and not scored.

Bentley - 7 - No chance with the goal and his handling and distribution was great.

White - 5 - A bit of a mare. Hopefully just a bad day at the office.
Coker - 7 - Decent game, some good corners
Bolger - 6 - Dominant in the air as you'd expect but still looks too casual at times.
Prosser - 7 - Battled well against Akinfenwa, tough game

Hurst - 6 - Marginally better than on Saturday but shooting was way off the beam
Clifford - 6 - Again looked too casual at times and shooting was way off
Leonard - 6 - Distribution was dodgy at times and seemed to get in the way of teammates
Coulthirst - 6.5 - Does so much good stuff but really no end product and cannot shoot to save his life. Should have had a hat trick tonight.

Weston - 8 - MOM - A constant threat, missed an early chance but otherwise had a great game
Corr - 6 - No change out of their defence

Subs -
Barnard - 6 - Offered something different but again shooting was poor
Worrall - 7 - Made good space but wasn't over impressed with the delivery
Payne - 7 - Had a last minute effort that he scuffed, otherwise made a decent impact

Poor finishing and crossing has cost us, thought we played well but they outmuscled us at times which made us panic in possession. Wouldn't worry too much, Wimbledon will probably be around the play off places towards the end of the season. Coultihurst looked skillful on the ball but still can't shoot to save his life. Wouldn't mind seeing Hurst be rested Saturday, he was very poor apart from a good 10 minutes near the end.

0/10 to the two airchair analysis guys near me, who clearly have no idea how football is played outside of FIFA. Laughably moaned about long ball football whenever we played a cross, said Brown should be sacked because he doesn't have a clue after 10 minutes and complained that 'proven goalscorer' Barnard was on the bench.

Bentley 7

Coker 6.5
Prosser 6.5
Bolger 5.5 (defensively fine but his distribution rivals that of Prosser's balls from a couple seasons back.)
White 6

Hurst 5
Leonard 5.5 (Looked average Saturday and didn't look any better today, hopefully he'll find form soon.)
Clifford 6 (Should stop shooting outside the box, it doesn't work, looked a bit tired.)
Coultihurst 6
Weston 5.5 (Poor crossing like Hurst, had one horror miss near the start.)

Corr 6 (Got no service, set up Weston for what should have been a goal.)

Sub's

Barnard 6
Worrall 5.5 (Didn't look great at the back but obviously wasn't his usual position.)
Payne 7

Sorry, cant agree with you about Bentley and their free kick, from the way they set up to take it, it was obvious who was going to strike it, Bentley set the wall and should have been standing where he had a clear sight of the ball on the side of the goal where it went, cant understand why he didnt move. Either positioning was wrong or got caught flat footed, other than that dud nothing else wrong. Hurst looks a shadow of the player he was and may need a rest, we have competition. But hey we are only 3 games in, lets not get too disheartened.

Get back to 4-3-3 for me, or if sticking with 4-4-2 make sure at least one of the wide players can defend a little.

Weston looks a winger to me, not a striker. Our best play came from his wing after Corr had been taken off. Notably that was when we had 2 attacking full backs, 3 wingers but just one average height player as a striker. I've never seen tactics like that myself, so well done PB.

Shaq has something about him - I think get him a goal and his composure may well come and he will be deadly. For now he's a bit of a show pony who doesn't like a tackle.

Also - I fully agree with the comments about the formation is holding Leonard back. Maybe he's off form, but a change would be worth a look.

Poor finishing and crossing has cost us, thought we played well but they outmuscled us at times which made us panic in possession. Wouldn't worry too much, Wimbledon will probably be around the play off places towards the end of the season. Coultihurst looked skillful on the ball but still can't shoot to save his life. Wouldn't mind seeing Hurst be rested Saturday, he was very poor apart from a good 10 minutes near the end.

0/10 to the two airchair analysis guys near me, who clearly have no idea how football is played outside of FIFA. Laughably moaned about long ball football whenever we played a cross, said Brown should be sacked because he doesn't have a clue after 10 minutes and complained that 'proven goalscorer' Barnard was on the bench.

Bentley 7

Coker 6.5
Prosser 6.5
Bolger 5.5 (defensively fine but his distribution rivals that of Prosser's balls from a couple seasons back.)
White 6

Hurst 5
Leonard 5.5 (Looked average Saturday and didn't look any better today, hopefully he'll find form soon.)
Clifford 6 (Should stop shooting outside the box, it doesn't work, looked a bit tired.)
Coultihurst 6
Weston 5.5 (Poor crossing like Hurst, had one horror miss near the start.)

Corr 6 (Got no service, set up Weston for what should have been a goal.)

Sub's

Barnard 6
Worrall 5.5 (Didn't look great at the back but obviously wasn't his usual position.)
Payne 7

I agree that there was some poor crossing on display. However on several occasions there were some excellent crosses, but hardly anyone in the box to do anything with them. Neither Leonard nor Clifford got onto the end of anything at all and Barnard unfortunately just loitered on the edge rather than gambling near post or far post and consequently wasted the best opportunities

Pig and sick come to mind . Made my night that the A127 was closed so just got in after enjoying the delights of Basildon where diversion signs were carp!!
Wimbledon were right at us and all over us in the first 20 mins especially down the left hand side where Bulman , Rigg and Kennedy slaughtered us. We gave away 4 free kicks in dangerous positions in the first 16 minutes. Who was supposed to be supporting our skipper? We were completely outplayed in midfield and they were much hungrier and quicker to the ball.
We slowly got into it and started to play with some creativity. Shooting was abysmal. How many shots did we have and how many on target?
Personally I thought Bolger played well and Hurst had his best game to date. Beggars belief we didnt score in the last 20 minutes, nothing much fell our way either, you knew it would be one of those nights when Barratt saved on the line and their keeper pulled off a stunning save!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

I put this up on the other thread but I'll put it up here again.

AD38FE3E-2334-4198-90FB-3AD811B4A9CC_zpsgcjfpmdm.png

Sorry, cant agree with you about Bentley and their free kick, from the way they set up to take it, it was obvious who was going to strike it, Bentley set the wall and should have been standing where he had a clear sight of the ball on the side of the goal where it went, cant understand why he didnt move. Either positioning was wrong or got caught flat footed, other than that dud nothing else wrong. Hurst looks a shadow of the player he was and may need a rest, we have competition. But hey we are only 3 games in, lets not get too disheartened.

I agree with all of that, except there was another clear error where he came for a cross and missed it and Prosser cleared from a yard out (2nd half). I only mention it as had Smith played this thread would already be 10 pages long on how.he lost us the game

Bentley 7. another composed performance, 2 more really good saves. I said to the bloke next to me they would score to top right from the free kick but I dont think Dan had much chance with it
White , 6.5 fairly solid , made some good runs and readily available, not his best game, where was the support when 3 of them came down the left
Bolger 8.0 An improvement on previous game, excellent skills barely put a foot wrong, good prospect

Prosser 7.5 Good game, solid , did exceptionally well tyo cope with Akinfenwa
Coker 7.0 Made some good runs but crosses not so good as usual, then again team must have crossed about 30 times. Isnt a goal supposed to come from every 10 according to the stats?
Hurst 7.0 Best game so far, improving and involved , slick movement and passing down the right, got some shots off
Clifford 7.5 Good energetic effort, caused problems got stuck in again but distribution was lacking today at times.
Leonard 6.5 Not sure where his head was today. Seemed more lethargic than usual, less telling in tackles and passing
Westley 8.0 MOM should have scored early on but ran them ragged and made some exquisite passesnlucky not to score
Corr 7.0 Tried hard, not quite as effective or energetic as against Stevenage but then again our passing radar had disappeared
Coulthirst 7.0 created stuff, and deserves a goal to aid confidence, but needs a barn door and 3 feet away to get there?

More shooting , crossing , and passing practice needed. Will have to put this right at Carlisle and come out of the blocks more quickly fellas

Peckin hell 15 corners and 19 shots, ) (876 crosses ? ) thanks for the stats. What will Brownie make of that. Is it just a rarity, one of those things, or is further remedial action needed in terms of personal or thrashing with birch branches?

Thought we looked much better with Worrall at right bsck than we did John White. White spends 90 mins hoofing it down the line.

If when I arrive at Carlisle I find myself watching hurst somehow being left on the pitch for 90 mins I think I will give up. I don't understand how much worse he has to play to be dropped? He's been well bellow par so far and I think it's about time Worrall had a chance to show what he can do. There's no point claiming there's competition for places and then not dropping those who deserve to be... You never know it may give him the kick up the backside he needs and he may start performing

My next critism is something I always notice both this season and previous.. We take off Barry Corr and then begin crossing the ball into dangerous positions more frequently with him on the bench? Why take him off? The height when chasing a game can be influential with a knock down or a chance on goal

I also think once shaq gets a goal he will be like Tomlin, go on a mad scoring run! Until then he lacks end product

let's hope for a better performance and a more clinical one come saturday

If when I arrive at Carlisle I find myself watching hurst somehow being left on the pitch for 90 mins I think I will give up. I don't understand how much worse he has to play to be dropped? He's been well bellow par so far and I think it's about time Worrall had a chance to show what he can do. There's no point claiming there's competition for places and then not dropping those who deserve to be... You never know it may give him the kick up the backside he needs and he may start performing

My next critism is something I always notice both this season and previous.. We take off Barry Corr and then begin crossing the ball into dangerous positions more frequently with him on the bench? Why take him off? The height when chasing a game can be influential with a knock down or a chance on goal

I also think once shaq gets a goal he will be like Tomlin, go on a mad scoring run! Until then he lacks end product

let's hope for a better performance and a more clinical one come saturday

Phil Brown said Corr was struggling for mobility after Barrett took him out in the first half.

19 shots, 15 corners, no goals. Blimey. PB did say the kitchen sink was thrown at them and couldn't ask for more in terms of effort. I predicted (and bet) a 4-0 win. Still, very early days, Southend will be up there come the business end of the season. There'll be a few teams who are gonna cop it when the floodgates open. Just one of those games.

Just seen goal on TV, think Bentley will be a little disappointed. He had the right side of the goal covered with the wall, position to start was ok but then takes a slight step to his right which leaves him body wise going the wrong way and preventing any chance of saving it. it was a good strike but if Bentley had stepped left instead I think he would have had a chance. Before I get shot down, it's not a criticism of him it was just an observation. Just glad it wasn't smith in goal otherwise we would have had three pages on it by now.

White was terrible
hurst didn't put a decent ball into the area all game
Barnard missed a sitter by heading straight to there keeper although it was a good save he should have scored
Corr shouldn't start he would have been a perfect sub to make near the end of the game and defo would have scored that Barnard chance

Wasn't available to go last night. I listened to from a distance on Blues Player which suggested that we were unlucky to not get at least a point. Better finishing would have helped but was it as dire as some on here would have me think. It's only the third league game and it was a Tuesday night after all:unsure:

Back