• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

Halford was very unlucky in my opinion. Its only in recent times, as part of the continued effort to turn the game into a non-contact sport, that this would be anywhere near a yellow card. Genuine effort to play the ball, nothing cynical, no foot up or force, on half way line. Just beaten to the ball. Naturally the player went down as if shot.

It wont be long before any player booked will need to be immediately substituted. Pretty sure that's where it will end before before we end up with some sort of sane review.

Halford was very unlucky in my opinion. Its only in recent times, as part of the continued effort to turn the game into a non-contact sport, that this would be anywhere near a yellow card. Genuine effort to play the ball, nothing cynical, no foot up or force, on half way line. Just beaten to the ball. Naturally the player went down as if shot.

It wont be long before any player booked will need to be immediately substituted. Pretty sure that's where it will end before before we end up with some sort of sane review.
But would u give him a contract? Personally I think we can improve on halford.To me he looked sloppy and rusty but definitely has a better throw then ryan Leonard!!

Interesting game with Barrow having most of the possession and play but Southend creating most of the good chances.

I last watched them on Boxing Day and we were not as good as then - I preferred the high press we employed then but can understand the change with Barrow having a good goal scoring record.

Standout players for me were Akinola, RHF, JO (although missed good chances was a constant danger) and Dieng. Macca was excellent when he came on and took control of the midfield when we were flagging.

What a great psychological boost that game must have given the players. After a tired, leggy performance at Orient another defeat would have undone so much of all that hard work in December and they’d be thinking “here we go again.” Instead we get the early goal then set up to invite Barrow to come at us and catch them on the break but they persisted with their “patient” build-up right to the end which was great for us. We still had decent chances for a second or third goal. Heart in mouth time for Hart’s challenge in the penalty area and we all know that last October/November that would have been given. Strange how you seem to make your own luck but holding out with 10 men was carried out with a savvy-ness not just from the experienced pros but the fast learning young uns.
MM has been a good learner this season. I hope he’s learnt that playing Hobson on the left of a back three is a waste of his talents. Lynch would appear to be a shoe-in in that position if he can prove his fitness. Fingers crossed for him but another centre back must be on MM’s shopping list. I wonder if he has learnt anything from Halford’s first start today. To me he now looks like a useful player to have on the bench but not much more.
On to Grimsby and what a turn-around. It will be them thinking this is not a good time to be playing us.

That was a massive win, more so than most will recognise. We had been in great form but our last game we didn't turn up and could easily swing back towards where we had been previously. We didn't, we stood up to be counted and in even trickier circumstances given the red card.

Now ready to hold my hands up and say I was wrong about El P.E teachero, you were big enough to learn your tippy tappy wasn't working and im big enough to eat humble pie and say you do look like you know what you're doing and could be into the beginnings of a very successful managerial career.

Why do people think Molesley suddenly had an epiphany and 'learned' that his style of football earlier of the season wasn't working? The team was playing the only style the players we had were suited to, academy football. Now we have different players he is able to mix things up.

I don't think he has listened to fans or learned anything he didn't already know, all along he has simply been playing the style that suits the players he has to work with.

As someone who has humbly and consistently praised physical education teachers, I'm delighted the final straw tough love approach has clearly worked.

Another win for the Blues. Five wins, two draws and just the 3 losses from the last ten games means we’re in playoff form.

One or two additions before the end of January and we have every chance of securing our league status.

Amazing what can happen when a P.E. Teacher is given some time & backing.

UTFB

Credit where its due I was getting to the stage where I thought MM was a dud. He has slowly turned it around and is building a good team that I think can beat the drop. Its a work in progress but definatly going in the right direction.

Faith is rapidly being restored.

Over the moon we got the three points but on another day and against a better team we would have lost that.

Stil lots of work to be done, but we are finally heading in the right direction.

would love to see a slightly more positive line up from the start. ANG and Fairchild both starting on either flank could be menacing especially with the composure and distribution of someone like K Taylor in the middle of the park.

we won a game we would have lost for the majority of this season. Well done you blue boys.

Proud to be a shrimper again.

UTB

Agree completely - we have genuine options now, however like most folk, think we are a striker short still. Need a proper number 9 to lead the line and provide competition but in MM we trust.

Got home in time to watch after being out since 8 vaccinating
Oh my - I think we have come on leaps and bounds since the first couple of games and only a few months ago we certainly would not of held on like we did today.
We looked organised and finally looked as we had some discipline in the team

You. Are. A. Legend.

Hold on akinola got 15 goals for barnet so he must be a finisher? I'm still yet to see him have a good good chance? Against orient I think he had our only shot on target! Dont write him off yet.

Ok you’ve actually found something that I don’t agree with from the original post. I think he just had a bad game on the finishing front today. He’s a striker and it happens. But his all round game offers much more than someone like Acquah and he’s undoubtedly got more goal threat. The goals will come.

Still think the playoffs are on with our home form and signing Ricky holmes! Although I still think ANG is our best player.And after our slow start I'd take top half.

Hang on, a few weeks ago Molesley was the worst manager ever and you wanted him sacked. Now you think he is going to lead us to the play offs. I’ll have whatever you are on.

Great to hold on for 3pts!
Barrow were the biggest bunch of whingers I’ve seen/heard at the Hall for a long time! They were constantly in the refs ear, screaming when fouled, and counting out loud every time Ox had the ball.
Halford was unlucky, their players were screaming at the ref for the second yellow, and one of our players, who will remain anonymous, told the ref that he had been “conned” and called their player a f****** cheating C***.
MM deserves a lot of credit for the reorganisation after the card, and just prior to the final whistle told all the Subs and non playing staff to get down to the touchline to clap the players off, which they did to a man!

Brilliant effort, but can’t help but think MM set us up too defensively today. Barrow were terrible, yet we allowed them to have huge amounts of the ball first half. With the ability we have going forward, we can really take it to teams. Had barrow been a Newport say, I’m not sure the tactics would work. However, huge 3 points.

Ox 7 - great save, seems to come off his line a lot more as of late.

Elvis 6 - better, but where has the elvis of previous years gone? Could well be a player who thrives off an atmosphere.

White 5 - a club legend, but today his contribution on the ball was even worse than usual. I don’t mind being 1-0 up and JW sticks it over their back line, today he shovelled every clearance 10 yards and out of play. Invites pressure.

Halford 3 - running through treacle, two poor yellows. Thanks but good bye for me.

Hobson 6 - felt sorry for him today, never want to be dragged wide as a CB and didn’t get MM’s.

Hart 6 - think it may be somewhat down to MM’s tactics but today and against orient he was susceptible to the ball in behind him exposing Hobson. Decent outlet going forward.

Demi 6 - seems to be slowing down somewhat but tidy in possession.

Dieng 8 - arguably one of our best players this year, some brilliant through balls and industrious as ever.

Olayinka 7 - seen some negative comments with him, which I cannot make heads or tails of. He works hard and makes brilliant 3rd man runs. Today his final product let him down a touch but he has given us a whole new dimension this year. Would go as far as saying our best loan signing for some time.

Reeco 7 - great goal and a good optioncutting in from the right.

Akinola 7 - worked blimmenhard, struggled with end product today.

subs:

Macca 7 - love him, instantly became confident we could see it out when he came on. Even when we had an injury and he walked the ball 40 yards up the pitch. Legend

ANG 7 - also love him, brilliant ability on the ball and makes things happen

Taylor 5 - can’t see him forging a career in the professional game, and certainly not as a CF.

MM 6 - now I may upset a few people as we got 3 points, and I’m a big MM fan. However, 5 at the back against Barrow is a strange decision for me. Would have much preferred a 4-3-3 and taken the game to them, as they were terribly poor. I have to give MM credit for his changes when down to 10 men. What I would say, is MM has brought players in who excite me. K Taylor, Olayinka, ANG, Walsh,reeco. When have we ever had that much attacking flair ? Just hope we keep moving up the table and MM can unlock more fast paced attacking football.

UTB

Back