• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

Great to hold on for 3pts!
Barrow were the biggest bunch of whingers I’ve seen/heard at the Hall for a long time! They were constantly in the refs ear, screaming when fouled, and counting out loud every time Ox had the ball.
Halford was unlucky, their players were screaming at the ref for the second yellow, and one of our players, who will remain anonymous, told the ref that he had been “conned” and called their player a f****** cheating C***.
MM deserves a lot of credit for the reorganisation after the card, and just prior to the final whistle told all the Subs and non playing staff to get down to the touchline to clap the players off, which they did to a man!

Genuine question. Did you hear all this from I follow, or were you at the game?

Looking at the highlights elvis has to do better with his chance and what a save from Oxley in the first half, well taken goal by debut lad.

But would u give him a contract? Personally I think we can improve on halford.To me he looked sloppy and rusty but definitely has a better throw then ryan Leonard!!
Probably- MM will have a view re his level of fitness and where he can get to. Trust his judgement- we see players taking a few games to get match fitness/sharpness. Won’t be shocked either way

We are set up to be solid (a defensive focus first). Given our position that's completely understandable- I have no doubt if we were mid table we would set up to play a bit more expansively. But rightly at this moment its about getting to relative safety.

Is it just me today- but on a couple of occasions I swear I saw Macca scampering around a yard or so quicker than previously. Its the Macca's and White's that make a club.

I don't think it is understandable; we played more attacking against Colchester, who are higher in the table. We need to be playing to beat these teams, not set up not to lose; draws aren't good enough at home against relegation rivals.

We shouldn't be scared of anyone in this league.

Looking at the highlights elvis has to do better with his chance and what a save from Oxley in the first half, well taken goal by debut lad.

I think that is a bit harsh on Elvis, their keeper has actually done well and at least it was hitting the target. Maccas miss was far worse later in the game, but no-one mentions that!!

I don't think it is understandable; we played more attacking against Colchester, who are higher in the table. We need to be playing to beat these teams, not set up not to lose; draws aren't good enough at home against relegation rivals.

We shouldn't be scared of anyone in this league.

We set up more attacking against Colchester, won.

We set up more defensive against Barrow, won.

What's the problem? Is it not good to have different ways of winning? More than one plan?

I think the best thing about today’s win, is if another team played how we did, against us - I would have absolutely hated them.

We took time wasting to the extreme and were very clever with our play to hold on at the end. It’s about time we weren’t a “nice team” to play against - an excellent win.

Our mentality has changed totally. Wasted so much of the injury time in the corner.
I was going to say we wouldn't have done that last season but we hardly ever had a lead to protect ?

Re our set up being wrong, and Halford not being hauled off before he got sent off.

Molesley's prematch comments mention their 6' 4'' striker Quigley who has scored in all of their last for games. maybe the formation and player choice was right ?
:Smile:

Interesting game with Barrow having most of the possession and play but Southend creating most of the good chances.

I last watched them on Boxing Day and we were not as good as then - I preferred the high press we employed then but can understand the change with Barrow having a good goal scoring record.

Standout players for me were Akinola, RHF, JO (although missed good chances was a constant danger) and Dieng. Macca was excellent when he came on and took control of the midfield when we were flagging.
Our mentality has changed totally. Wasted so much of the injury time in the corner.
I was going to say we wouldn't have done that last season but we hardly ever had a lead to protect ?

If only we had done that against Exeter on 10th October we wouldn't have conceded that last gasp equaliser and would be in 21st place now.

Back