• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

Ox 6 one decent save....embarrassing time wasting, maybe it got us over the line?
Elvis 5 his game looks to be going backwards when should be going forwards
Hart 6...not one of his best games, prefer him to Clifford
Hobson 6 does a job, distribution ain't great
White 7 not spectacular but does it week after week
Demi 4 slow and the weak link, give him a try in Elvis's position maybe?
Arsenal bloke 6....lots of potential but falls over easily and been off last two
Dieng 7.5 done well in the air and good contribution
New bloke 7 good goal and looks perfect to play in front of Kyle Taylor if we can get him back , I have funny feeling Covid is an excuse, Very much hope i am wrong!
Akinola 6 leaps like a salmon and oh so good to have him instead of the misfits from earlier in the season,
Halford 5 expected better and doubt we will see him again

Special mention A N George 7.....why can't he get a start?, great going forward, ball control and skill.........gets them worried, give this bloke more time!

Credit where its due I was getting to the stage where I thought MM was a dud. He has slowly turned it around and is building a good team that I think can beat the drop. Its a work in progress but definatly going in the right direction.

Faith is rapidly being restored.

Even i didn't think he was a dud....what would anyone have done having to play Acquah, R.Taylor, Badship, 3 very weak payers?

All a 10 for effort and commitment today, and thats precisely what has been lacking the last few years.
Such a weird game today, neither team really got going, one moment of quality and some dogged performances secured us 3 points.

The spirit seems good, the new striker looks good, long way to go yet, all these wins and we are still bottom of the league....

Im happy with the squad and their desire to fight, but i still think we need another central midfielder. When either macca or taylor are on we seem like a much more solid unit.
Seems unlikely we will get taylor permanently and macca hasnt got enough minutes in him sadly.

As ever im just keeping everything crossed that we can stay in the football league this year, as i feel our future could be quite bright with MM. I wouldnt have said that a few months ago!

All a 10 for effort and commitment today, and thats precisely what has been lacking the last few years.
Such a weird game today, neither team really got going, one moment of quality and some dogged performances secured us 3 points.

The spirit seems good, the new striker looks good, long way to go yet, all these wins and we are still bottom of the league....

Im happy with the squad and their desire to fight, but i still think we need another central midfielder. When either macca or taylor are on we seem like a much more solid unit.
Seems unlikely we will get taylor permanently and macca hasnt got enough minutes in him sadly.

As ever im just keeping everything crossed that we can stay in the football league this year, as i feel our future could be quite bright with MM. I wouldnt have said that a few months ago!

We was drift at the bottom before we played Scunthorpe and we managed to close the gap since then, now a win over Grimsby (possible our first double since we beat Burton 3-2 in May 2019!) could pull us out of Bottom 3 into 20th place & looking up the table.

Absolutely crucial win, not pretty, but to win with 10 men for nearly half the game (and with only 32% possession) is testament to how far this team have come. It was nail biting stuff as the clock wound down all so slowly and it was no real surprise that the ref added 7 minutes of addition time - which ended up nearer 10! Having said that we had the better chances and whilst I understand why Elvis went for goal, if he had looked up he would have seen Olayinka in space on the edge of 6 yard box and we know how good he was at finishing.

I thought everyone had a good game, perhaps with the exception of Halford. It just wasn't working for him 1st half he looked out of sorts, maybe trying too hard, and i wouldn't have been surprised if he hadn't come out for second half. Anyway the positives. Reeco looks the real deal, although did i read he had his leg in ice after the game? Akinola gets better and better (except for his finishing) and he is so quick with his feet. I like Sam Hart, the guy is so enthusiastic he may not be technically the best, but he wants to do well and he gives 100% all the time. Dieng was arguably mom yesterday, I've always been a fan even if his form has dipped in and out as our fortunes have waned over recent years. He has the ability and long may his rich vein of form continue. If we somehow find a Cadette/Eastwood/Collymore/Phillips/Crown...we would soon rise up the table. Anyway with all the current doom and gloom and I had spent yesterday morning in a Chapel of Rest, it is difficult to quantify just what a morale boost yesterday's win gives...Enjoy the rest of the weekend Shrimpers!

Still can't quite figure out the many 'doing ok for a PE teacher' comments... dont people realise just how highly qualified you need to be, and how much analytical thinking you have to demonstrate to be allowed to teach?? As well has his coaching badges , MM is a far more 'qualified' manager than most as a former professional footballer - and as a result has a much greater chance of success than most as he knows how to get the best from the players, playing to their strengths and pushing the out of their comfort zone (best example of this yesterday was Shaun Hobson - not at his most comfortable out wide, but he showed that he could handle the position!) I think MM will prove to be one of the best managers we have ever had in time.

So, to yesterday's game. We might not have liked the set up and tactics, it wasn't pretty but it was effective! A crucial 3 points, and massively impressive defensive performance all round. Very professional 'running the time down' much as i hate this - bit we are much better at this now as we are a much harder team to play against! The red card was harsh i thought, but the Barrow player made a huge meal of it, giving the ref very little choice after already brandishing the first yellow for a similar challenge earlier in the game. It made our job a bit harder, but in fairness it would not have been justified to have substituted Halford at HT as he looked ok.

Outstanding performances from Dieng (mom), Macca and Akinola, and 8's and 9s for the rest for effort and outstanding defensive skills. And a special shout out for the new lad, Reeco, outstanding goal and looked threatening. Hope the icepack does its job!

We forced Barrow to play side to side, lots of huffing and puffing but no end product. They reminded me of us a few months ago, lots of possession but no end product. Explains why they are down in the do do with us, but after yesterday's game i would give us a much better chance of getting out of the drop zone than them.

Ox - commanding display and took a yellow for the team. I thought the save was better than the commentary said. Positioning perfect
Elvis - apart from a couple of weird zig zag giveaways he seems to have improved his defensive stuff
White - a little late with a couple of challenges on the edge of the box but reads the game well and very dependable on 50\50s
Hobson - soaks up knowledge from experience around him and shows improvement each game. Plus proving very versatile.
Halford - other than a great throw, looks cumbersome and nowhere near ready for matchtime. Difficult circumstances for him tbf, but not worth keeping in my mind.
Hart - thought he had a very good game other than a potentially disastrous challenge - getting fitter every game
Olayinka - gets himself in great positions but that first touch and balance is still in fledgeling mode. An experienced player would have got us a pen easily
JD - must have covered massive miles today and although got done a couple of times when pushing the middle on his own, his constant harassing and rushing them broke up their flow many times.
Dieng - My MOTM. Won headers , great positional play, great passes
H-F - like the look of that left foot and his confidence and his height. Joining now rather than a few months back should allow him to express his skills. Looks like will fit in well.
Akinola - like how he has an eggbriness about him. Chased stuff and spots opportunuoties. Seems to be every game an opposing defender passes back straight to him!!
Macca - strengthens up the middle and always seems to have a chance on goal. Used well.
Taylor - I like this role for him. Brought on to pin them back a bit with long balls . Perfect substitution and lots better in the role than aquah. a
ANG - didn't see enough to gauge one way or the other
MM - seems Much more passionate on the line than before. More skilled in game management than before. Better game plans than before and the players respect him. I feel he has lots more to offer yet as we improve
I like how we look like a team FULL of experienced players now. Watching younger ones getting free kicks and playing for ti.e is great to see. Managing the last 20 mins and 9 mins extra time was so professionally done. The grass must be worn out at the corner flag.
Overall thought the ref did ok in that he let lots go for both sides. Potential pens for both sides.
What I really liked most today was how little time we gave there players on the ball until we went to 10. Yes they had the ball, but werent allowed to do much with it always pressed by 2 or 3 of our players hunting them down.
They didn't deserve a draw - we deserved the win.

Excellent summary especially agree on Dieng and Taylor

I think that is a bit harsh on Elvis, their keeper has actually done well and at least it was hitting the target. Maccas miss was far worse later in the game, but no-one mentions that!!

It's just great to be talking about missed chances.

Barrow were by no means the worst side we have played but they have fallen victim to another young coach who's read the Pep Guardiola blueprint too many times. You're in League 2, stop it. Thankfully we did and we're now reaping the benefits.

We had 10 men for about 35 minutes and from that point, Oxley has pretty much been a spectator and only forced into very routine stuff. He did make a fantastic save in the first half, however.

I really don't get it. There's a reason why you can count on one hand the clubs in world football who can play that way successfully and it's because they're some of the best in the world. Barrow had some tidy players who probably had the talent to hurt us but were shackled by a system to keep possession and go nowhere with it.

A very good, ugly win from us and we're going to need a few more of them if we're to stay up. I still think survival is absolutely possible now and the Grimsby game is the biggest "6 pointer" we have had for quite some time and we still owe them a pasting from 2005

Absolutely crucial win, not pretty, but to win with 10 men for nearly half the game (and with only 32% possession) is testament to how far this team have come. It was nail biting stuff as the clock wound down all so slowly and it was no real surprise that the ref added 7 minutes of addition time - which ended up nearer 10! Having said that we had the better chances and whilst I understand why Elvis went for goal, if he had looked up he would have seen Olayinka in space on the edge of 6 yard box and we know how good he was at finishing.

I thought everyone had a good game, perhaps with the exception of Halford. It just wasn't working for him 1st half he looked out of sorts, maybe trying too hard, and i wouldn't have been surprised if he hadn't come out for second half. Anyway the positives. Reeco looks the real deal, although did i read he had his leg in ice after the game? Akinola gets better and better (except for his finishing) and he is so quick with his feet. I like Sam Hart, the guy is so enthusiastic he may not be technically the best, but he wants to do well and he gives 100% all the time. Dieng was arguably mom yesterday, I've always been a fan even if his form has dipped in and out as our fortunes have waned over recent years. He has the ability and long may his rich vein of form continue. If we somehow find a Cadette/Eastwood/Collymore/Phillips/Crown...we would soon rise up the table. Anyway with all the current doom and gloom and I had spent yesterday morning in a Chapel of Rest, it is difficult to quantify just what a morale boost yesterday's win gives...Enjoy the rest of the weekend Shrimpers!

Sorry for your loss during these difficult times (assuming that was why you were there, and not working or something).
Put's all this football into perspective, I still don't think it will be much longer before football across all divisions is suspended

Sorry for your loss during these difficult times (assuming that was why you were there, and not working or something).
Put's all this football into perspective, I still don't think it will be much longer before football across all divisions is suspended

Thanks PP, yes was there for my Dad. But I’m not alone I saw another supporter mention on Twitter yesterday that he lost his Dad in the week and that he and his Dad had watched the Boxing Day win together on ifollow and now was gone.. so having football to focus on during these dark days is very important for many.

Thanks PP, yes was there for my Dad. But I’m not alone I saw another supporter mention on Twitter yesterday that he lost his Dad in the week and that he and his Dad had watched the Boxing Day win together on ifollow and now was gone.. so having football to focus on during these dark days is very important for many.
Sorry to hear that Geoff, very sad for you. Agree, having the football still on is important as there is so much darkness around at the moment. Love to you and the family, Sarah xx

On the subject of the season possibly being ended again, I think I’m right in saying we’d actually now avoid relegation on points per game, given we’ve played fewer games than Grimsby and Barrow? Maths isn’t my strong point..

It's been an difficult season and also an odd season thus far. Only a few months ago we were looking at the table on 2 points, defeat after defeat after defeat, out the Fa cup to a NL side, spanked 6-1 by Colshite etc. But look at what MM had at his disposal. A sprinkling of senior pros, a few decent players, some brought in on loan but playing under extreme pressure and having to make up the numbers with young kids not ready for L2 football.

Then all of a sudden, embargo lifted, the signing of a few good players, a few players and key players back from injury but importantly a squad that MM could pick rather than a squad that picked itself. One thing I never criticised other than the odd game was the effort and commitment of the team, they lost because mainly we weren't good enough. This new squad, new team has given MM options, does anyone now know our best 11? It's given him the chance to be adaptable, play different formations but he has the players to do that and it's not square pegs in round holes.

It's no coniceidrnce that we have improved. White fit and playing has made a huge difference and in turn helped Hobson develop and their partnership is now key. Macca has been a huge signing, the midfield looks so much more organised when he plays. Taylor and Oliyinka now look like players from a higher level. Akinola, Hart give everything for the shirt and in ANG, Walsh and Fairchild we have flare down the wings. Dieng has become a true leader and key that we keep him. Oxley now looks more composed with a more solid defence in front of him. Elvis and JD still have sone improving to do but they are retrying hard. Halford should stay but for the bench and not to start. He does offer something

Yes it's been a hard season, but I firmly believe if we can escape this and stay up then MM is the right man to lead us to better things next season. He is now proving what he can do with the right tools at his disposal. We lost our club and team a few seasons ago. MM and this group are restoring some pride and passion back to the club and reconnecting with the fans, and for me that's all we ask. Will we survive? I believe we will and I don't care if it's 22nd place, survival is survival.

But we have our club back and for that MM deserves huge credit

For me the turning point in the season was the Borehamwood FA Cup game. Up until then we weren’t even competing in games and just being brushed aside, often by quite poor sides which made it all the worse. Morale on here was at an all time low.

To be fair we were pretty useless in the first half of that game too and deserved to be behind at halftime. I was starting to plan away trips to non league grounds I thought I’d never visit. But in the second half MM arguably kept himself in a job. The players finally gave a reaction to the fact they were losing a game and attempted to stage a fight back. Olayinka showed the first glimpses of his undoubted talent and although we eventually went out on penalties I think something clicked for the team that day and we’ve competed ever since.

Some may say that we got trounced by Col Ewe in the very next game but for me that was a very young side. The next league game at Walsall we finally got a win and the monkey off our backs. The Forest Green game really could have gone either way and we started quite well at Bolton too.

Obviously since the embargo has been lifted we’ve been able to kick on another gear and look unrecognisable from earlier in the season as we’ve now got some real talent and experience in the side rather than just youth players with potential. That’s meant wins have been easier to come by and we’re now averaging 2 points per game over (I think) the last 7 games. If we carry on at this rate til the end of the season we could finish in the top half which would be unthinkable really. That’s quite a big if though. I’d take 22nd right now.

Agree to an extent, but I think MM (rightly) set us up cautiously given it was a six pointer and a very important game for us. I think us then going 1-0 up after 3 minutes meant the team naturally dropped a bit back and played even more cautiously.

Disagree on Halford though. He isn’t an inexperienced young lad who was getting wound up by Barrow. He’s a 36 year old seasoned pro with hundreds of games under his belt. I wouldn’t have taken him off at half time as I would’ve expected him to know far better.

The reaction from MM on going a man down was spot on and a huge reason we got the three points today.

Strictly speaking a two/four pointer I believe - but who cares! :-)

Also, re post about Barrow counting Oxley's seconds on the ball, their goalkeeper managed an 18 second one!

Ox 6 one decent save....embarrassing time wasting, maybe it got us over the line?
It drives me mad when the opposition does it to us. But, I thought Oxley's gamesmanship was fantastic yesterday. Showed his experience and really disrupted and frustrated Barrow. I think both he and Macca absolutely helped get us over the line.

Back