• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

What about those of us who didn't bother as it was a pointless poll. To have sacked someone when your under an embargo was always a non starter for many of us. The over used cliche of its a results driven business, could not be applied to MM.
Yes,fair enough,I agree—it was the 105 that I wanted to highlight—quite a few of whom were posting derisively about MM and Ron.

just to volunteer that I certainly wanted MM sacked.

I think his naivety cost us a load of points and I thought a lot more could have been achieved with the admittedly very thin resources he had.

In particular the short free kicks in the opposition half drove me mad .. ..

I thought at the outset we had a chance of the play offs (maybe we still have?) and I do see SUFC as a big-ish club at this level.

Now we are within striking distance of 91st I am reasonably confident that we will survive as RM pours resources into the squad.

Hopefully MM will mature into a good manager an all my worries were unfounded.

I think his naivety cost us a load of points and I thought a lot more could have been achieved with the admittedly very thin resources he had.

I thought at the outset we had a chance of the play offs (maybe we still have?) and I do see SUFC as a big-ish club at this level.

Now we are within striking distance of 91st I am reasonably confident that we will survive as RM pours resources into the squad.

I can see your point and hard to argue. He certainly started his reign with us under extremely difficult circumstances and in some matches we were our own worst enemy as the tactics were clearly wrong for the players we had. However his hands were also firmly tied behind his back. Over the last 6-8 weeks he has shown what a good manager he can be and with better tools to work with the improvement has been nothing short of a miracle. For me after the start weve had 22nd would be an achievement and even i as the most passionate of fans never thought we would be play off contenders, not with the squad we started with and under the embargo

For me key is getting above the relegation line and if we can achieve that over the next 2 or 3 games i think we will be fine. We keep getting to within a point and then dropping back down to a 3 or 4 point gap. But i do like MM, he has been big enough to admit his mistakes but has never made excuses for the position we find ourselves in. He has been honest and for that i admire him. He also albeit at a lower level has been a successful manager and i honestly believe that if we survive then next season we will be pushing at the top end rather than fighting at the bottom. His recruitment apart from Sterling has been very good and all the players he has brought in have been a grade up. We need two or three more but have faith in MM to find them

What on Earth made you think we could make the play offs with the squad we had? Genuinely.
I’m personally quite confident in MM’s skills as a coach and his man management, the players are too .. that’s pretty important I think. He’s been helped of course by Macca who I think has provided us with leadership on the field .. and some genuine quality in Olayinka and K Taylor. But others have progressed and stepped up as the season has gone on (Hobson, Dieng, Oxley..) and team spirit has 100% improved. This is even before he was able to bring in Hart and Akinola and Walsh and RHF so we were on the right road. Yes results weren’t good at first but that was a team shellshocked from last season with zero confidence.

Some bloke called Ferguson won 9 in 35 and was reputed to be on the verge of being sacked if he didn’t beat forest in the FA cup.

I wonder if some of our fans would have wanted his head much earlier in that 35 game run?

stayng with him didn’t work out too bad in the end

Some bloke called Ferguson won 9 in 35 and was reputed to be on the verge of being sacked if he didn’t beat forest in the FA cup.

I wonder if some of our fans would have wanted his head much earlier in that 35 game run?

He did alright, but he couldn’t find a way to beat the mighty Southend.

It was certainly a very important win. It wasn't a great game or easy to watch.
The goal was a piece of individual skill.
We had 3 or 4 good " on the break"/against the possession chances which we really ought to have converted one of.
Barrow are pòor, as poor as we were in September.
I am a "glass half full" type however if we play like that again I would expect a draw to be the most likely outcome.
If it was a team selection and formation trial then, imo, we got away with it but we need to work on a balance between parking the bus and being able to get more possession and especially possession in the opposition half.
Halford's yellows? About right or fair calls by ref although the 2nd was theatrical.
Why all the harping at the ref? It could have cost us a penalty if the ref had been peeved enough against us, win the ref by being nice and then when we are truely upset by a decision it will mean something not just blah blah blah.

Ferguson has stated that Mark Robbins saved his career with that goal at Forest. I think that was the first time they played Oldham in those memorable cup semi-finals that went to replays. One time Hughes equalised with about 1 minute left otherwise Oldham would have been in the final. Times have changed and the neigbouring clubs have certainly gone in different directions.

Any way back to MM. There is always talk of non league talent when it comes to strikers and most of us would cut them some slack as they make mistakes during their EFL apprenticeship. How come its less so for a manager. For the state we were in back in August, relegated on 19 points and any talent we had wanting to leave because of the idiot we had as the previous manager. Then add embargos, Covid and Ron factor passed and present (lets not go there).

Yet some expected promotion rather than survival because , wait for it...We are Southend United. A complete lack of reality by those fans is not the fault of MM. Any mistakes he has made are behind him now and i don't agree with the idea that he got things wrong v Barrow....Formations or tactics.

Grimsby next and lets not forget that has been abad place for us over the years, including late postponements. fans being attacked and some poor results....Just in case some of you get victory happy and forget the way to survival is win one draw one lose one. :Winking:

I didn't want him out. Just sayin..

Neither did I. I couldn't see how you could rate how good / bad he was given the awful situation he was faced with. Once the embargo was lifted and he had access to the full squad, then he can be judged.

Back