• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1-0 Barrow

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Another win for the Blues. Five wins, two draws and just the 3 losses from the last ten games means we’re in playoff form.

One or two additions before the end of January and we have every chance of securing our league status.

Amazing what can happen when a P.E. Teacher is given some time & backing.

UTFB

Despite that being a tense watch, we actually managed that game excellently. For all their possession, we looked (mostly) comfortable in defence, and actually had by far the best chances to extend our lead during the second half. It's nice to see us looking resolute and hard to break down after so many years not displaying those qualities.

Beginning to turn Roots Hall back into a fortress. Wasn't pretty today and boy could we have been made to pay for the opportunities we didn't take, but Barrow have to be among the poorest sides we've played this season.
Got a prime chance up next Saturday (weather permitting!) to show we don't only do it at home but can turn up at some nasty places and get a result in the day. Maybe a different system from MM with a new face at the back ideally (LB primarily) and we're keeping up that fighting chance.

MOTM Mark Molesley

Great team selection and setup, and brilliant subs at exactly the right time. Went 4-4-1 after Halford was sent off and then dropped Dieng back to centre back and brought Macca on to play a 5-2-1-1 with Elvis and Hart staying back. Barrow went backwards and forwards, side to side, but couldn’t create anything credible. Hats off to MM, he absolutely aced it.

Great team performance all in all. Solid from Elvis and Akinola worked his nuts off up front as a lone forward. Expected better from Halford with his experience, it was a silly second challenge to make. But three incredibly valuable points on the board.

Happy ****ing Saturday shrimpers ?

Over the moon we got the three points but on another day and against a better team we would have lost that.

Still lots of work to be done, but we are finally heading in the right direction.

would love to see a slightly more positive line up from the start. ANG and Fairchild both starting on either flank could be menacing especially with the composure and distribution of someone like K Taylor in the middle of the park.

we won a game we would have lost for the majority of this season. Well done you blue boys.

Proud to be a shrimper again.

UTB

Last edited:
I just looked at the form table, and we're 3rd other the last 6 games. If we can keep this going...

An important game but our next is a chance to pull ourselves off the bottom. COYB!

Heart is still racing, can do without 10 added minutes at my age. A vital vital win against a neat, but toothless, team (and if I was a Barrow fan I’d be asking why so many of their players seemed to be smiling after the final whistle). Formation did not suit us, I said Halford should have gone off at HT because of that (and he was on a yellow) but I will still take an ugly win all day long.

Oxley – only had one save to make, and it was a good’un.

Elvis – best performance for a while.

White – Another good display – first to the ball nigh on every time.

Hobson – Won a couple of crucial headers but struggled out wide a bit.

Halford – Sent-off and looked vulnerable couple of occasions.

Hart – Ok, was screaming at him when he dived in at the death (did get a faint touch of the ball, despite their appeals) one minute later redeemed himself with a great block.

Olayinka – better than of late (maybe fit again?) perhaps should have gone down when players put his arm round him when clean through, and slipped when put through again minutes later.

Demi – ok – but too easy to go past.

Dieng – Good, played 2/3 quality through balls.

Hackett-Fairchild – Lethal left foot, liked his work rate too, shame he hobbled off.

Akinola – Worked tirelessly on his own, but a finisher he is not.

Only one 'home grown' player on the pitch for us out of 14 that made it there. How things have changed in the last few months.

Over the moon we got the three points but on another day and against a better team we would have lost that
Yeah but we didn’t and isn’t that a great feeling. We’ve surrendered to just about every team for the last 2 years so I’ll take it. We’re keeping clean sheets, we’re seeing games out, blimey even with 10 men.. we’re creating chances., we’re battling and the players care again. MM deserves so much credit not just for the boys he’s brought in but his patience, his perseverance when we were getting walloped every week .. get in there you ****ing boys in blue .. let’s get out that bottom two and get up that table!!

Good performance from many to make up for Halfords gaff. I wonder if he’s just lost that yard of pace?

Elvis had his best game this season for me. Hart did well albeit lucky not to give away a penalty. White was excellent and marshalled the back.

In midfield I thought Demi did well, full of energy. Olyinka not so much, leaving his shooting boots at home. Reeco scored and showed some nice touches.

Akinola again held the ball up brilliantly with great feet. Spooned a chance though and looked knackered by about 70 mins and stopped closing down.

Before the game though, I would have had Dieng on the bench. Today was his best attacking game in a Southend shirt for me, putting 3 or 4 balls to set up olyinka and elvis, and working hard in CM and CB, was my MOTM. Well done the PE teacher for a rubbish team selection that got lucky :p

Yeah but we didn’t and isn’t that a great feeling. We’ve surrendered to just about every team for the last 2 years so I’ll take it. We’re keeping clean sheets, we’re seeing games out, blimey even with 10 men.. we’re creating chances., we’re battling and the players care again. MM deserves so much credit not just for the boys he’s brought in but his patience, his perseverance when we were getting walloped every week .. get in there you ****ing boys in blue .. let’s get out that bottom two and get up that table!!
And we had the best chances. 4 golden opportunities missed (macca, elvis and olyinka *2). Better finishing and we win 5-0, playing for 37 mins with 10 men.

Three points and a clean sheet. Whatever we say about the game, or indeed what Barrow fans may be screaming (we woz robbed probably), the record books will only show my first sentence at the end of the season.

Hard to beat now, aren't we, not pretty, but pretty organised. I loved everyone's work rate and nobody let us down, even Richard Taylor put in a shift. I think Halford's red was down to his lack of pace at the vital times, but still, three points and a clean sheet, sounds rather nice, doesn't it.

One down side for me is the continued puerile bollocks that the BBC commentators utter. Why can't they just stick to simple commentating instead of the smartarse stuff. I know we should be grateful that they cover games, but they just **** me off by the end of the game.

Back