• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sufc.2008

First XI
Oxley - 4 - Not an impressive debut for me. Doesn't come for many crosses, and when he does he makes a big mistake to ultimately cost us a goal. Didn't look particularly interested during the match. Kicks are very long but mostly resulted in a loss of possession!

Coker - 6 - Not a bad performance but not particularly good either.
Demetriou - 7 - Very good first half, gave the ball away a lot second half. A good player though, a definite upgrade on White.
Barrett - 7 - Got his head on most, though when he gets forward his legs just aren't able to carry him back to his position quick enough!
Thompson - 8 - Cleared up everything he was asked and looked reliable for the whole match.

Atkinson - 8 - Broke play up well and would say he was probably our best player. Put a shift in.
Leonard - 5 - Not sure he was on the same wavelength as anyone else today, made more mistakes than most.
McGlashan - 6 - Went past the full backs and put in some decent crosses. Was bullied by some of the stronger Gillingham players for a large part of the match though.
McLaughlin - 7 - He looks like a good player if we can keep him fit. A strong first half.

Cox - 6 - Nice layoff for our goal, needs some service however. He isn't the type of player who will create chances for himself.
Mooney - 4 - Not sure where to start. Offered nothing today. No headers, no intelligent runs, nothing.

Subs not worth rating.

Not impressed by a few of our "fans" today. Two ugly ginger blokes in the East blacks giving McLaughlin the w*nker sign as he was walking off the pitch. Not what the players need on their first game back. Pathetic really!

Decent enough first half and Gillingham did nothing till scoring from their first corner.

Second half a total shambles. looked to have no clue going forward, kept losing the ball and gifted them both of their second half goals.

Still we played 442 and not that boring one up front nonsense eh....

As good as we were for the first 40 minutes we were as bad for the next 50.

no player really stood out...McCoughlin went from being the best to the worst player on the pitch.

Match report: Southend United 1, Gillingham 3

SOUTHEND United started the new League One season with a 3-1 defeat against Gillingham at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

First 40 we looked good after that.... JEEESUSS! Not impressed at all! All the goals were our own fault, two strikers who cant head the ball for ****, over run in the middle, still cant defend set pieces..... and then theres Mooney I dont even know where to start with that one..... Not a great start but least its only the first game :sad: How does it go?......"Brush ourselves off and carry on" ???

For the report on this match you need only to read some of those from the last 10 games of last season.
No player had a stand out good game and only Mooney and possibly Oxley had stinkers.
It is the same issues, the midfield doesn't get forward quickly or with purpose and it doesn't defend the back line well either.

We were on top and doing all the right stuff, especially closing down: that stopped after their first attempt on target from that regular weakness of a corner conceded and not seemingly prepped.

Conceding from a long throw!!!!!

The 3rd goal was hapless by King and MacL and very good closing down from them while our lads had seemingly thrown in the towel.

What does PB do or say at half time?
What was the idea of his subs?

The mentality of the team is WRONG, they get behind and collectively become a bunch of losers who accept the lose AND hope that individually they can hide.

Mr BROWN you have a job. SORT IT OUT!!!!

For the report on this match you need only to read some of those from the last 10 games of last season.
No player had a stand out good game and only Mooney and possibly Oxley had stinkers.
It is the same issues, the midfield doesn't get forward quickly or with purpose and it doesn't defend the back line well either.

We were on top and doing all the right stuff, especially closing down: that stopped after their first attempt on target from that regular weakness of a corner conceded and not seemingly prepped.

Conceding from a long throw!!!!!

The 3rd goal was hapless by King and MacL and very good closing down from them while our lads had seemingly thrown in the towel.

What does PB do or say at half time?
What was the idea of his subs?

The mentality of the team is WRONG, they get behind and collectively become a bunch of losers who accept the lose AND hope that individually they can hide.

Mr BROWN you have a job. SORT IT OUT!!!!

Thought subs were right, Mooney off and replaced by Williams.

Add some creativity into midfield by putting on King and moving Leonard to right back, cant argue with that, through Demetriou was very disappointing.

Then Oneil on to replace Mclaughlin who was terrible second half.

They didnt make much of a difference but see the reasoning behind them all.

We are up Brown stuff's creek, without a paddle.

Appalling second half. Centre mid was overrun. Our two strikers were truky awful. God help us.

I would've brought Bridge on for Mooney and asked Leonard to sit deeper initially and yes, play 4-5-1 and try to win the midfield battle. I can't believe how many times Emmanuel-Thomas was allowed to drift into space in front of our defence with time to turn and run...

Frankly, I think some of those rating are generous. I didn't see an 8/10 on that pitch.

However the booing is somewhat premature. It's the first game of the season. There's much to work on from here!

First 42 minutes, excellent,should of been at least 2-0 up with Mooney mis kicking from about 12 yards, and then heading straight at the keeper from about 4 yards. Gillingham offered absolutely nothing. Then they get a corner, score form the corner, and look like a premiership team against a sunday league side for the remaing 50 minutes.

2nd goal, oh dear, Atkinson gives it away in the middle, Oxley drops a simple catch, Coker slices his clearance, nobody gets near the long throw, Oxley moves at the speed of a super tanker as the ball lollops over the line.

I have been saying it all summer and most of last season, Thomson and Barrett DO NOT WORK. We could have Messi and Ronaldo up front and we would still conceed more than we score.

The most important thing Brown had to do all summer was bring in 2 centre backs and he has failed miserably. What make the situation even worse, is that allthough going forward Demetriou is an upgrade on White, he is nowhere near as solid defensively.

If things stay as they are without serious defensive additions I can see us shipping almost as many as Colchester last season.

Very very poor start to the season, and the new season optimism has gone already.

Forget Jay Simpson, bring in some ********** defenders.

Five years away and first game back - no stand out players for me and not one would score over a 5.

i have never seen a team play so slowly as we did - blimey it was terrible. Slow in actions and slow in decision making.

if Demetriou is an upgrade on White, then White must be really shocking!

It all very well playing nice possession football, but you need to do something with that possession. We are great going sideways or backwards, but going forward. Oh dear. Same as last year. It doesn't matter that we've got 20 goal a season Cox or 20 goal a season Simpson or 20 goal a season Ranger, they will fall into the same bracket as 20 goal as season Mooney - frustrated at chasing lost causes and getting no service. Go on, how many chances did we actually create. A couple of early headers from corners, the goal and one (just the one) effort in the second half. And that was the problem last year, and its not been solved this year. Even with two wide men of the calibre we have, we seem unable to put teams under pressure.

We gave the ball away far too easily. JET scared the life out of us. Keeper doesn't fill me confidence - how many saves did he make, hashed the one contested cross he came for.

The really galling things was that for 40 minutes we were ok. It was all positive. New boys looking bright. Gillingham looking ordinary and then the wheels fell off. Two set pieces, another unresolved problem. Of course by this time the gobs were off. Jeezuz, an hour into the season and the first call for Brown's head. First comment on Mooney being pony (which to be fair, he wasn't).

Anyhow, we get to do it all again on Tuesday...................

Same old Brown..........

****!!!!

Please Sam take your mate off on England duties ASAP!!

i know it's the first game of the season but it's no different to any other season with Brown, clueless no plan A B or C!!!

Thought subs were right, Mooney off and replaced by Williams.

Add some creativity into midfield by putting on King and moving Leonard to right back, cant argue with that, through Demetriou was very disappointing.

Then Oneil on to replace Mclaughlin who was terrible second half.

They didnt make much of a difference but see the reasoning behind them all.

Are you serious? you say the subs were right BUT didn't make a difference? the two things don't compute.
The theory you understand? Then why did it take so long?
Creativity by moving Lenny back?
Williams I can agree with (but 70 minutes earlier), King was lost and bewildered where as Bridge has some team time.
O'Neil much to late also.
I CAN and do argue with your logic, the result and lack of change argues with the idea.

Completely out done by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. He absolute ruined us and we were scared to go near him in the second half. We still didn't man mark him though and I saw him get on the ball in attacking midfield about 3 or 4 times with no one near him. Defending not good enough, caught out by set pieces once again.

If we can get a decent centre back in, the attacking midfielder (whoever he may be) and Simpson, we might be alright. Don't push the panic button and call for Brown out as it's ridiculous. Let us complete our transfer business first and then judge him. Frustrating afternoon though. First 35 minutes was so promising.

Are you serious? you say the subs were right BUT didn't make a difference? the two things don't compute.
The theory you understand? Then why did it take so long?
Creativity by moving Lenny back?
Williams I can agree with (but 70 minutes earlier), King was lost and bewildered where as Bridge has some team time.
O'Neil much to late also.
I CAN and do argue with your logic, the result and lack of change argues with the idea.

Just because they didnt impact the game didnt mean they werent decent changes to try. You cant just use hindsight to say they werent good substitutes. Mooney needed taking off, Mclaughin needed taking off and the midfield needed some creativity. Leonard was providing nothing and as I said I thought Demetriou was poor so can understand that change too.

Bridge might have been another option but he has less experience than King.

Brown talks a good team but he can't deliver, nothing has changed from last season. We could all see we needed at least three good centre back signings(love Barrett but was shocked when he was offered a new playing contract, he struggled at the end of last season and that just shows how stupid Brown is by giving him the captaincy when he struggles playing two games in a week)

Also it does not matter who we have up front as if they don't get any service they will not score, even messi would struggle in our team.

Oxley 4. Rooted to his line all game. Definately at fault for yhe second goal. Little communication and I really hope Ted plays Tuesday and takes that first team spot.

Demetriou 5. Didn't see anything today that says he is a class act, although he had little ahead of him offering an option.

Barrett 5. Caught out for the second goal and out jumped time and time again. Committed but is 36 years old ffs.

Thompson 5. See above but his distribution has been poor for a while. Look up. Hoof!

Coker 5. Seemed very apprehensive to get forward and pass back. Again let down by the midfield offering for him.

Leonard 5 Didn't look right and a long way off of the performances we know he can offer.

Atkinson 3 Dreadful. Can't pass and gives the ball away time and time again. He is a tree for sure but for me he should be 5th choice on the middle when everyone is fit. Clueless.

Mclaughlin 4 possess a great delivery but didn't offer anything today. His passing both short and long were both poor. Got shrugged off embarrassingly easy.

McGlashan 5 see above but with more pace.

Mooney 5 Missed a sitter and headed straight at the keeper. Worked hard but had little support.

Cox 5 Average. Not a great debut but I'm sure with an attacking midfield behind him he will flurrish.

A very very poor performance that hilights that we are still at least 3 or 4 signings from being a force.

The midfield today were frankly abysmal.

Jay emanuel Thomas for them was a class act and put to shame our marquee signings.

**** poor performance

Southend v Gillingham

Exactly the same problems as we had throughout last season for me (problems which were amplified in the final 10 games rather than appearing magically as some would have you believe). Slow build-up play, continual passing sideways and backwards, inability to keep possession and to out the opposition under pressure. Problems which signing all the Jay Simpsons, Simon Coxes and Dominic Balls in the world won't cure. Our issue isn't personnel.......apart from the centre of our defence perhaps. It's tactics, mentality and coaching. Simon Cox will cut a frustrated figure for the rest of the season - capable of scoring 20 goals but with the way we play causing a horrendous lack of service and link to the strikers he'll be lucky if he gets 10.

Today the central midfield was the biggest issue. Leonard has been destroyed by Brown trying to turn him into a player that he isn't - a holding midfielder. But if he is going to play Leonard that deep then Brown needs to be at least giving the other CM license to get forward. Today both Lenny and Atko played criminally deep. That caused us problems when Gills attacked through the middle and with those two standing off and sitting deep, they just carved through us.

It also caused us problems going forward because there was constantly at least a 40 yard gap between our central midfield and our strikers. This meant that our strikers were starved of service and there was no plan B on the inside if an attack down either wing ran into a dead end. It also meant that if the ball was lost by Cox or Mooney in the final third, there was no-one behind them to challenge for the second ball so the move completely broke down and we surrendered possession. Very frustrating to watch and not at all conducive to winning football matches. Very little to do with the players' abilities; very much to do with coaching, instructions and tactics.

I guess I don't get it. I thought that kind of stuff was football basics which you wouldn't need a coaching badge to know, but I guess I was wrong.

None of that should excuse the sloppy individual errors in the second half that led to Gills' 2nd and 3rd goals though, they were criminal, but I'd be moaning about the above whatever the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Atkinson best of a poor bunch. Mooney's three missed chances at critical time in the first half didnt help. Oxley looked nervous behind a poor defence. The Cypriot was good for ten minuted, Thompson played his usual game. Coker looks Reading bound. And Captain Fantastic, if he is SUFC through and through should do the honourable thing and retire. The team as a whole looked like they hadnt played together before, the subs did nothing as reflected by Brown's usual lack of plan B. Role on Tuesday!!

Back