• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1 Crawley 1

Every should get a 1.

And that's being generous. Any good work in the first half was completely ruined in the second half. Embarrassing, turgid and down right pathetic.

JOHN White’s late own goal saw Southend United have to settle for a 1-1 draw with Crawley Town in the first round of the FA Cup at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

To put things into perspective. Crawley Town are 12th in League Two and came into the game after a home theashing by MK Dons. For the first half of the first half we dominated and looked good doing it. Cox should have had two in the first two minutes, Macca had a good effort and Kightly scored. The cup hoodoo was over, this was just a case of "how many". Crawley were very ordinary and offered nothing going forward.

A tell tale sign of the imminent future. With one minute added time on the board we dillied and dallied down the touchline playing safe balls rather than putting it in the box in an attempt to extend the lead.

But why would we, this was going to be easy.

And then came the second half. It was a Brexit of a second half. There was no leadership, simple things became difficult things, people hid and ultimately what started as something full of promise and hope ended up miserably with everyone praying for it to end.

Another tell tale sign, SCP leaning against the dug out either completely disinterested or seething at what was unfolding. Aside from Cox shooting wide, there was nothing going forward. Some will (and are) blaming Theo. But all he is does is run after lost causes because its becoming clear that neither Deing or Mantom can pass a ball. The passing today was dreadful. Go on, count them. How many times did a ball go to no one, or the recipient needing to check a run, or a red shirt picking it up. Defensively we just look old. Hendrie donned a pair of clown shoes and kept scooping the ball up in the air. White had a poor game, could have been sent off. Maybe then he wouldn't have got skinned before putting the ball in his own net.

It's really hard to think of a positive. It was as unprofessional as you could hope not to see.

And let me talk about tactics. We took Theo off. He'd done little bar run after things. But at least he was a presence. We replaced him with Dru, who got lost in the midfield. With no forward outlet, we simply allowed Crawley to pile on the pressure. Maybe we think we are better than we are. But we weren't good enough to stem the tide. They hit the bar before they scored, and I think most of us were expecting the second to follow.

Full credit to Crawley, they had a proper go and if I was a Crawley fan I'd be disappointed to have only drawn that.

But unlike like Brexit, we've got a second chance. So lets hope we get it right second time round.

To put things into perspective. Crawley Town are 12th in League Two and came into the game after a home theashing by MK Dons. For the first half of the first half we dominated and looked good doing it. Cox should have had two in the first two minutes, Macca had a good effort and Kightly scored. The cup hoodoo was over, this was just a case of "how many". Crawley were very ordinary and offered nothing going forward.

A tell tale sign of the imminent future. With one minute added time on the board we dillied and dallied down the touchline playing safe balls rather than putting it in the box in an attempt to extend the lead.

And then came the second half. It was an EU of a second half. There was no leadership, simple things became difficult things, people hid and ultimately what started as something full of promise and hope ended up miserably with everyone praying for it to end.

Another tell tale sign, SCP leaning against the dug out either completely disinterested or seething at what was unfolding. Aside from Cox shooting wide, there was nothing going forward. Some will (and are) blaming Theo. But all he is does is run after lost causes because its becoming clear that neither Deing or Mantom can pass a ball. The passing today was dreadful. Go on, count them. How many times did a ball go to no one, or the recipient needing to check a run, or a red shirt picking it up. Defensively we just look old. Hendrie donned a pair of clown shoes and kept scooping the ball up in the air. White had a poor game, could have been sent off. Maybe then he wouldn't have got skinned before putting the ball in his own net.

It's really hard to think of a positive. It was as unprofessional as you could hope not to see.

And let me talk about tactics. We took Theo off. He'd done little bar run after things. But at least he was a presence. We replaced him with Dru, who got lost in the midfield. With no forward outlet, we simply allowed Crawley to pile on the pressure. Maybe we think we are better than we are. But we weren't good enough to stem the tide. They hit the bar before they scored, and I think most of us were expecting the second to follow.

Full credit to Crawley, they had a proper go and if I was a Crawley fan I'd be disappointed to have only drawn that.

But unlike like Brexit, we've got a second chance. So lets hope we get it right second time round.

Fixed that for you :Smile:

1st half, quick passing, interchanges, runs into space, shots, back tracking, closing down. Ought to have been all over.
2nd half COX should have scored or passed to Theo for a tap in but.......
Subs ruined an already unravelling shape and without Theo we lost space and pace. No cohesion and only confusion in midfield, really poor from the 5 across the middle with none seeming to know wether to support COX or make runs, no one to give a threat IF we did work the wings- as poor as any game I have seen under CP or PB.
The goal was coming and it seemed everyone but our management saw it.
I hope lessons are learnt from that, if we had stuck to 4 4 2 with other subs we might be a 1st round win bonus pocketed AND not have 3 yellow cards against us.

A few points...

Midfield 4 looked good first half when Crawley continually dropped off. Second half when they pushed higher up the pitch as a team and there was less space for them to play, suddenly our midfield couldn't pass. Far too easy to stop us playing through the midfield just by putting a bit of pressure on and restricting the space. Happens a lot.

Theo coming off and it not being McCoulsky who replaced him was playing into their hands. Cox dropping off, with Theo being the willing runner in behind gave us an out. Going from that to a 451 was strange decision.

Crawley are a poor side who came out for the second half in a Cup match and gave it a go (shouldn't have been a surprise.) Our response to that was, well, their was no response really. At times like that, when questions are being asked, we need more from the players and we need more from Powell.

And then came the second half. It was a Brexit of a second half. There was no leadership, simple things became difficult things, people hid and ultimately what started as something full of promise and hope ended up miserably with everyone praying for it to end.

dear lord football - why is it I always agree with and enjoy your match reports - possibly because I admire your Brexit references or more importantly you raised the standards of the cake rations (or more probably your lady Wife )on the TZ coaches

Powell's tactival naivety is plain to see. With him we will never progress to a higher level. Time to calk it a day.

Chancing my luck here but........... doesn't it sometimes happen that a first round struggle is a prelude to a good cup run? Oh yes, perhaps with clubs other than us.

And the cries for Normsky to be given a chance on Wednesday night will surely only get louder after today.

1st half league 1 v league 2
2nd half vanarama league 2 south v league 1
What did CP say at half time to create that dross.
Beginning to think we have a PB mk 2
Poor attendance beginning to show that any honeymoon is now over and the style of play is not exciting to watch

You must question the sub's. Why replace a striker with a midfielder at 1-0 up - then not win suggested a wrong 'un.

As an exile and not being at games regularly I'm genuinely intrigued to know why McCoulsky didn't get minutes, especially today?

1st half league 1 v league 2
2nd half vanarama league 2 south v league 1
What did CP say at half time to create that dross.
Beginning to think we have a PB mk 2
Poor attendance beginning to show that any honeymoon is now over and the style of play is not exciting to watch
Was interested to see a home attendance of around 3,600 - that's pushing half a normal Saturday.
Is the FA Cup that much of a turn-off?

It's a bit hard to know what to say about what we witnessed today. The pre match singing was top drawer and enjoyed by both sets of fans, but just what happened to the minute's silence at the referee's whistle is anyone's guess. Obviously the lions share of the crowd decided a round of applause would work much better and the ref gave up shaking his hands at the crowd to stop the clapping and instead he though bugger it, let the game begin.

Anyway, to the match. We were ahead of Crawley in all aspects in the first half and it looked FL1 vs FL2 in terms of quality. We even scored a goal from Kightly and most of us thought it was only a matter of time before we knocked in a few more. Half time arrived and the flood gates had remained firmly shut. Second half began and Crawley finally woke up to the possibilty that they could make more of a game of it. They weren't awash with skill or finesse but as the half wore on it was obvious that they wanted it more than we did. And in the end they got their reward with an og from unlucky John White. I say unlucky because he had battled manfully with their man mountain of a number nine throughout the game and by and large had him under control.

I don't think anyone really impressed me today but Mantom and Hendrie deserve special mentions. Mantom never stopped working, prompting and probing but his attempts at shooting were consistently a bit astray. Hendrie has now recovered a bit of belief in his ability and his was a very solid performance to the point where I don't think we are missing Ben as much as I thought we would. A special mention is due for the travelling support today, they ****ed me with their continuous chanting and singing but they just never gave up and that must have lifted their team, well done Crawley fans.

The good thing about today is that we go into the second round draw of the FA Cup, not something that has happened very often in recent years

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell was left ruing his side’s poor finishing after a 1-1 draw against Crawley Town in the first round of the FA Cup.

More...

Back