• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1 Crawley 1

They were all definate yellows. I'm surprised you don't remember Dieng's, a petulant swipe well after the ball has gone, utterly stupid yellow to pick up. And yes, White was very lucky not to get sent off.

TBF I thought the ref was okay today, trying to shift some blame on to him sounds like sour grapes OBL.

It wasn't so much the yellow cards to our players but the fact that their players didn't get them for some much worse tackles. It all seemed to be very much one way traffic with the ref and that is what I objected to. Two really bad challenges on McLaughlin that were yellow cards all day long, one being quite early on in the 1st half - Cox being repeatedly choked, held (physically lifted off the floor at one point) and generally fouled and just lots of dodgy decisions. Inconsistency, that's what I object to.

It wasn't so much the yellow cards to our players but the fact that their players didn't get them for some much worse tackles. It all seemed to be very much one way traffic with the ref and that is what I objected to. Two really bad challenges on McLaughlin that were yellow cards all day long, one being quite early on in the 1st half - Cox being repeatedly choked, held (physically lifted off the floor at one point) and generally fouled and just lots of dodgy decisions. Inconsistency, that's what I object to.

Perhaps, but White was holding their no 9 all game too, not too mention Demi near on strangling their winger at one point, no fouls given for them too. The ref was okay in my book, for once fairly even to both sides.

First half hour I thought we were playing really well crisp passing and movement off the ball were good. Last 15of first half I was getting disappointed we weren’t pushing more and having a real good attempt to put game to bed . Then half time came I can only assume one if the Crawley squad had infiltrated the home dressing room and laced the tea urn with really strong seditive as we looked half asleep from the whistle. Crawley were coming more and more into the game and Powell reverted to packing the midfield and trying to hang on to the lead. How many lessons does he need to realise this tactic doesn’t work with the players we have. I cannot understand what beef Fitz had with Hendrie as thought it was his best game of the season and he was the puck of a very shaky defence. White and Turner were not coping with pace at all well in the 2nd half and it should have been changed for younger legs. Cox cannot play the lone striker role with nobody with the pace or desire to get up front and help him. I’m afraid our love affair with Chris is cooling rapidly as the football and tactics we are witnessing is becoming very repetitive and dull. Let’s see what happens Wednesday night and if the youngsters show more passion then the team today.

Was interested to see a home attendance of around 3,600 - that's pushing half a normal Saturday.
Is the FA Cup that much of a turn-off?

Not for me, but the draw didn't make me think "Ooh! I can't wait!". But hey - that's cup draws for you. Had it been our local foes, now we're talking!

First half hour I thought we were playing really well crisp passing and movement off the ball were good. Last 15of first half I was getting disappointed we weren’t pushing more and having a real good attempt to put game to bed . Then half time came I can only assume one if the Crawley squad had infiltrated the home dressing room and laced the tea urn with really strong seditive as we looked half asleep from the whistle. Crawley were coming more and more into the game and Powell reverted to packing the midfield and trying to hang on to the lead. How many lessons does he need to realise this tactic doesn’t work with the players we have. I cannot understand what beef Fitz had with Hendrie as thought it was his best game of the season and he was the puck of a very shaky defence. White and Turner were not coping with pace at all well in the 2nd half and it should have been changed for younger legs. Cox cannot play the lone striker role with nobody with the pace or desire to get up front and help him. I’m afraid our love affair with Chris is cooling rapidly as the football and tactics we are witnessing is becoming very repetitive and dull. Let’s see what happens Wednesday night and if the youngsters show more passion then the team today.

Pretty much spot on, that.

We ended up being a lot of half working parts which didn't add up to a sum.

People moaning about Powell's tactics when taking Theo off and bringing Dru on?

Spot on tactic for me. Theo doing nothing and we are being over run in midfield. Sacrifice a striker to bolster the midfield.

People moaning about Powell's tactics when taking Theo off and bringing Dru on?

Spot on tactic for me. Theo doing nothing and we are being over run in midfield. Sacrifice a striker to bolster the midfield.

Ordinarily yes but it didn't stop us being overrun and all it meant was we sat deeper and invited them on. At that point CP seemed clueless as to what to do.

Ordinarily yes but it didn't stop us being overrun and all it meant was we sat deeper and invited them on. At that point CP seemed clueless as to what to do.

Yep. The one up front thing doesn't work. Time and time again we have seen it. The big away defeats in the last two seasons were nearly always when playing one up front. It really does let the other team attack and overrun us. Just to make it even worse, we put a small player as the one up front. Absolutely clueless.

Just a small thing on Theo's chance.

I actually didn't think it was as easy as some did. It was around knee height and not an easy angle, so it was always difficult to get the power and keep it down. It was more the sort of chance you would take a slight extra touch and try to lob the keeper with.

I thought the referee was at least adequate. I don't recall "umpteen" handballs missed; I don't recall one handball missed. He was reasonably consistent with his foul detection, not being fooled by a number of players trying to win cheap free-kicks. He got around the pitch well and was close enough to play to give those correct yellow cards with confidence. He reacted quickly to the incident when Cox was entangled with an opponent and prevented that escalating. Of course he can show their manager a yellow card. The manager would be aware of that; he got another one quite recently! Regarding the injured player returning, I thought he dropped the ball for the keeper (restarting play) and waved the player back on before the keeper had released the ball.

I normally sit in the east, but took the chance to sit in the north upper as my kids hadn’t been there before. The ref was being berated at times in the first half, but in all honesty I don’t think he got one decision wrong. Second half there were a couple of times he seemed to not notice who knocked it out of play, and I’m not convinced whites ‘2nd yellow’ tackle was a foul ( it was silly), but maybe that’s why he didn’t give a yellow. 8 out of 10 for me.

......to keep trying the utterly useless Theo Robinson unfortunately makes Chris Powell on a par with Tango Man. It’s like playing with 10 men. Cox is still a very classy player but to work with this stiff next to him is an insult and I should think anyone else would do a better job as a partner, Ba, Wabo, Hutchinson, McGoalsy?But oh no Powell has to persevere with a bloke that didn’t exactly pull up trees for lower league Lincoln. Add to that, he seems to prefer a 1 0 win rather than kill teams off I’m afraid our latest manager is a big disappointment!

The North Upper, Bazza? :Cool: :Smile:

I agree on the ref. The corner right at the start of the second half, where he gave a goal-kick to us, was the only mistake that stood out for me.

Last edited:
......to keep trying the utterly useless Theo Robinson unfortunately makes Chris Powell on a par with Tango Man. It’s like playing with 10 men. Cox is still a very classy player but to work with this stiff next to him is an insult and I should think anyone else would do a better job as a partner, Ba, Wabo, Hutchinson, McGoalsy?But oh no Powell has to persevere with a bloke that didn’t exactly pull up trees for lower league Lincoln. Add to that, he seems to prefer a 1 0 win rather than kill teams off I’m afraid our latest manager is a big disappointment!

Yep, there's some odd selection decisions. He didn't fancy Theo when Hopper went off the other week, but starts him yesterday.

I assume it's because we had Crawley watched and thought they had a couple of big centre-halves so we needed a big forward, but I'd always go the other way. The bigger the oppo defenders, the better it is to knock it around and play through them, as we did in the first 20 mins.

The worst of Theo was early in the 2nd half, when a long ball was pumped up to him and he spent so long leaning into their centre-half that he ended up falling over and the ball bounced harmlessley to their right-back.

Their centre-forward just played the ball time and again, showing how it should be done.

I normally sit in the east, but took the chance to sit in the north upper as my kids hadn’t been there before. The ref was being berated at times in the first half, but in all honesty I don’t think he got one decision wrong. Second half there were a couple of times he seemed to not notice who knocked it out of play, and I’m not convinced whites ‘2nd yellow’ tackle was a foul ( it was silly), but maybe that’s why he didn’t give a yellow. 8 out of 10 for me.

Hey , taking your kids to sit on the roof is very irresponsible and I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a lifetime ban now.

That explains our mystery Bazza, Mrs RHB was convinced there were people on the roof of the North Stand, I told her not to be silly:Winking2:

I reckon it would be a good view from up there. You could prop your feet up against the scoreboard!

Bit draughty, though, I'd say.

First half we dominated and really should have been more clinical and killed them off. However, typical of us we just didn’t turn up second half. We created absolutely nothing and were deservedly punished. Bitterly disappointed to be honest as we let them off the hook.

More...

Just a small thing on Theo's chance.

I actually didn't think it was as easy as some did. It was around knee height and not an easy angle, so it was always difficult to get the power and keep it down. It was more the sort of chance you would take a slight extra touch and try to lob the keeper with.
You can dress it up anyway you want.
But his anxiety to do well takes over nine out of 10 times. His lack of composure in front of goal is what all the better strikers have. I feel sorry for him - and for us!

Back