• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 1 Crawley 1

Lots of overreaction on here as expected. Firstly I’ll point out it was a terrible second half, one of the worst for a while, and I’ve come away very angry. Chris Powell’s tactical decisions in the second half were wrong, and the players messed up so many chances first half it looked like they thought it was a training game.

But, seen comments on here about how we haven’t improved since under Brown, or Chris Powell is a terrible manager and this and that, but 10 wins out of 18 last season, after 8 consecutive defeat under Brown doesn’t scream a manager who has no clue. A few tactical mess ups here and there happens to all managers, and today it cost us. But to say he’s got no capability to manage at all, just isn’t correct.

On a side note, thought Hendrie was excellent today, won almost all of his tackles and can whip in a mean cross, much unlike Coker, who I like, but often chooses to step inside followed but stepovers galore. Think if he had a striker on the 6 yard line every time they’d benefit from Hendrie’s crossing ability

The only plus side of this is I am not far from Crawley when the replay is on so will be there to watch us get through to the 2nd round.

Yep. The one up front thing doesn't work. Time and time again we have seen it. The big away defeats in the last two seasons were nearly always when playing one up front. It really does let the other team attack and overrun us. Just to make it even worse, we put a small player as the one up front. Absolutely clueless.

Have to agree. If you are going to play one upfront they have to be able to hold the ball up really well or have pace. To try Cox upfront on his own once is bad. The fact that he has tried this several times suggests he hasn't a clue.

CRAWLEY Town boss Gabriele Cioffi felt his side’s performance at Southend United was one he had been waiting for.

More...

We had a bad game for whatever reason. Look back to last week how we held on at Barnsley until the dying last few minutes. Nobody complained then.
Powell might have made a mistake, the team might have taken their opponents a little lighty, sure but it was only a few weeks ago we were singing their praises. I agree some comments are a little too harsh and some seem to jump on the hate band wagon. Welcome to social media.

Onwards and upwards. We move on.

We had a bad game for whatever reason. Look back to last week how we held on at Barnsley until the dying last few minutes. Nobody complained then.
Powell might have made a mistake, the team might have taken their opponents a little lighty, sure but it was only a few weeks ago we were singing their praises. I agree some comments are a little too harsh and some seem to jump on the hate band wagon. Welcome to social media.

Onwards and upwards. We move on.

I agree with all you've said other than this part. The opposition teams in the last two games are poles apart. A point away to one of the the best teams in League 1 would have been fantastic, a draw at home to an average League 2 side definitely isn't.

Last edited:
I agree with all you've said other than this part. The opposition teams in the last two games are poles apart. A point away to one of the the best teams in League 1 would have been fantastic, a draw at home to an average League 2 side definitely isn't.

OH I see what you mean. Sorry. My point was how well we played against Barnsley compared to yesterday. We always seem to lift or lower our games depending on who we play. I didn't word that very well

OH I see what you mean. Sorry. My point was how well we played against Barnsley compared to yesterday. We always seem to lift or lower our games depending on who we play. I didn't word that very well

Sorry Terry, I quoted you without a reply initially! Edited now so should make sense.

Thanks for explaining your point re Barnsley, you're absolutely right. Let's hope we perform as well against Blackpool, rather than in the manner of the second half yesterday.

Sorry Terry, I quoted you without a reply initially! Edited now so should make sense.

Thanks for explaining your point re Barnsley, you're absolutely right. Let's hope we perform as well against Blackpool, rather than in the manner of the second half yesterday.

No probs mate. I'm rubbish at getting message across online mate. I think we defo need to up our game plan for Blackpool. I'm not looking forward to Pompey :-(

I don't think one up front is a bad tactic per se if you're trying to shore up your midfield and go defensive, but to make it work you have to have the right personnel. The one up front needs to be either physically strong and good at holding the ball up (and be rapidly supported by the midfield) or have lots of pace. Neither of which describes Cox.
And its debatable whether trying to shore the midfield up was the best tactic at that point.

You can dress it up anyway you want.
But his anxiety to do well takes over nine out of 10 times. His lack of composure in front of goal is what all the better strikers have. I feel sorry for him - and for us!

Point accepted and agreed.

In isolation though that chance was harder than most of the ones we missed in the first 20 mins

LUAN Marshall's picture gallery from Southend United's 1-1 draw with Crawley Town in the first round of the FA Cup at Roots Hall.

More...

LUAN Marshall's picture gallery from Southend United's 1-1 draw with Crawley Town in the first round of the FA Cup at Roots Hall.

More...

That just about sums it up I suppose. On we move to Wednesday

9023652.jpg

TBF I thought the minutes silence protocol was described perfectly over the loudspeaker. Why people starting clapping after the 'Last Post' is beyond me.

Crawley fan here.
I agree with the above, but the crowd seemed to have a collective brain fart. I though initially it was just our fans cocking up but it was everyone.
As to the game, I agree with most of the previous comments. You should have been out of sight by 30 minutes but allowed us to get a foothold.
2nd half we were allowed to be much better and got a deserved draw.
All in all an excellent day out.
After the 20th, good luck for the rest of the season.

No doubt you got the deserved point. Consistency is something we are missing. Glad you had a good day out and well done on your support. I had CTFC ringing in my ears for two hours after the game :Clap::Smile:

Crawley fan here.
I agree with the above, but the crowd seemed to have a collective brain fart. I though initially it was just our fans ****ing up but it was everyone.
As to the game, I agree with most of the previous comments. You should have been out of sight by 30 minutes but allowed us to get a foothold.
2nd half we were allowed to be much better and got a deserved draw.
All in all an excellent day out.
After the 20th, good luck for the rest of the season.

I normally sit in the east, but took the chance to sit in the north upper as my kids hadn’t been there before. The ref was being berated at times in the first half, but in all honesty I don’t think he got one decision wrong. Second half there were a couple of times he seemed to not notice who knocked it out of play, and I’m not convinced whites ‘2nd yellow’ tackle was a foul ( it was silly), but maybe that’s why he didn’t give a yellow. 8 out of 10 for me.

Hope Theos shot didn't hit any of you.

Back