• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bluearmy

Youth Team
Fredy Eastwood came to Southend's rescue as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw
with a hard-working Grimsby side.
The 21-year-old striker collected his eighth goal in nine appearances in the
62nd minute to cancel out a first-half effort from John McDermott.
Southend whent into the match on the back of five successive league victories
but it soon became obvious they had a fight on their hands as the visitors put
together a series of fine attacking moves, one of which was finally rewarded in
the 32nd minute.
But it stemmed from a blunder by home striker Wayne Gray. He was back helping
his defence when he tried to pass back to his goalkeeper but the ball was
deflected off one of his own players and fell invitingly for McDermott to find
the net from 15 yards with a low shot.
Little was seen of Southend as a major force in the opening 45 minutes but
they stepped up a gear to launch a series of assaults on the Grimsby goal after
the break.
They finally broke through when Duncan Jupp knocked a long ball forward which
the Grimsby defence failed to deal with, and Eastwood seized upon the
opportunity to drive in from 20 yards. After that, both sides came close to
snatching all three points.
Adam Barrett saw a header flash just wide of the Grimsby woodwork while Gray
also saw an effort go narrowly wide. At the other end a Jason Crowe header
struck the bar and in the dying seconds Andy Parkinson saw a shot deflected wide
of the goal by Southend defender Barrett.

Fairly unexciting game, really. Overall a draw was a fair result.

First half was terrible, we couldn't string 2 passes together and their keeper had little to do. Grimsby probably deserved to be 1-0 up at half time. Second half continued in pretty much the same way until the goal which gave us a big confidence boost and for the last 30 minutes we played well and could have won. Both Bentley and Eastwood had good chances to win the game.

Griemink deserved the MoTM award, hopefully that will boost his confidence and silence some of his critics. He made some great saves towards the end to keep us in the game and Jupp certainly owes him a drink after this game. Both the full backs had poor games and we missed Maher. Hunt just doesn't get stuck in enough, his passing is nowhere near as good as Kev's and Bentley had a fairly quiet game too. Gray and Eastwood tried their best but they got little service. On Tuesday I think Tilly should do what he did at the end but with Maher instead of Pettefer, and possibly give Nicolau a go instead of Wilson.

Tonight was a perfect example of how badly we miss Maher. The game was crying out for him to dictate the play from midfield. Tonight, the central midfield was non-existent at times, and the amount of wayward and mis-placed passes really let us down. On a positive note, we havn't lost; last season we would have done, I'm pretty sure of that.

Griemink MOM as well. Top man. His best game for Southend. That save at end topped off a fine performance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Nov. 26 2004,22:58)]Tonight was a perfect example of how badly we miss Maher. The game was crying out for him to dictate the play from midfield.

Griemink MOM as well. Top man. His best game for Southend. That save at end topped off a fine performance.
Oh my God! Did you really have to release that particular cat?! I can hear the knuckle-dragging "Death to Maher and Griemink" buffoons slapping their heads in absolute disbelief at those statements!!

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2004,23:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Nov. 26 2004,22:58)]Tonight was a perfect example of how badly we miss Maher. The game was crying out for him to dictate the play from midfield.

Oh my God! Did you really have to release that particular cat?! I can hear the knuckle-dragging "Death to Maher and Griemink" buffoons slapping their heads in absolute disbelief at those statements!!

WS

<!--emo&:;):-->
wink.gif
<!--enthemo-->
Couldn't agree more about Maher. Lost the ball so many times in midfield tonight it was a shambles. Thought Hunt had an absolute mare tonight though.

Bart did indeed make some excellent saves and if he continues that form then puts Flavs back waiting for his chance on the bench. If however you wanted to be ultra critical then I think he could have done better with their goal. Watched the replay and its gone his near post with the ball ending up straight down the middle of the goal. That is of course just being ultra critical though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2004,23:00)]
[b said:

WS

wink.gif
<!--enthemo-->
Sorry it had to be said!

wink.gif

Some people may question Kev's contribution to the team, but tonight with him absent, it was blatantly obvious that sometimes a simple sideways pass is just as affective as a forward pass, as it simply keeps play ticking over. When you've got the ball, its only yours to lose. Tonight, the amount of times we got the ball and wasted it, because we were so eager to get it forward was ridiculous!

Also, *shock-horror*, I thought Mr J Ross had a pretty good game.

Im so pleased i did not join the Bart out bandwagon, he was terrific this evning.  The team as a whole was a disgrace.  Lewis HUnt was terrible, not in the game at all, he couldnt anything, and the only thing i dont find acceptable is when players do not give their all for the club, ad tonight he did not want to be there.  he wasnt running hard enough, however he will get his wish as he will be out, when Kev is back.

Bentley worked hard, but had two or three really good chances, especially the free header he had, he really should have hit the back of the net with.

Wilson was typical i thought, again when attacking first 30 mins, he couldnt get the ball in, not his fault hes right footed, and second half he was poor, along with the whole back four.

Fredy and Gower were good tonight, but thats what we come to expect.  Gower maybe should have out some crosses in earlier, but debatable.  Fredy scored a blinder to save us today.

Wayne's back-pass.......................................O DEAR!

I said we should have played Nicolau and Dudfield, and i think that was proved.  Nicolau could have really profited from the early space on that wing, and put the ball into the box, as for Wayne, unforunate with the pass back, and then seemed at sea for 30 mins in disbelief.

It was a must win game for promotion, and we did not win it..................................so there

No, not really, not for a team that is pushing for the playoffs. Surely you know what i mean. The TEAM wasnt there, we didnt pass to each other once we whent behind, it was a real shame, it was all to much route 1, and when we have the 2 strickers we had, that wont work.

Im a little dissapointed with Tilly tonight, i think changes needed to be made, and he took to long, and when it did come, i really wasnt in agreement with it. By all means bring Tes on, but the way we were playing it seemed pointless to put him on the wing, as it showed as he wad very little possesion, without drifting off the wing. I would like to have seem maybe Lawrie brought on for Gray, just to give their defence something else to think about, because i though they coped with Gray very well. However i would have approached the game totally differently, my starting 11, would only have had 9 of the players he chose, but that is why he is manager. It just did not go for us today, but there is a long way to go yet. We have a very tough ecember, and from 5 games in it, we need atleast 10 points (due to calculations of last years games, and extra needed), which is going to be very tough to get. I also think we have a tough February and April. Deceber is crucial though, because being in that top 7 on boxing day morning, is crucial!!

Quite frankly if Jupp wants to go to Milton Keynes I'll drive him myself, another poor display tonight and what the hell was he doing with that backpass when Bart saved our skins?? With this in mind Wayne Gray certainly owes his team-mates a goal at Orient now - their goal was an absolute shambles! Thank God Kev's only out for one game thats all I can say, we are a completely different team without him and any of the "Maher-haters" out there will have to come round to the fact that this side can NOT get promotion without him.

Hunt was the worst player on the pitch today, not good when he's supposed to have been replacing our most influential player. He did look far more steady and comfortable however when switching to full-back. Wilson was poor but then so were most, if it was my decision I'd still pick him over Nicolau at the moment. Prior had IMO his worst game since returning to the Hall.

Only players to come out with any praise are Eastwood who showed some nice touches and scored a cracking goal, he still looks like the only player in our squad who can score from nothing - a true sign of a natural goalscorer. But for once the sponsors got it right, Bart's earned us a point tonight. I've never claimed to be a big fan of his for me he's far too inconsistent and worries me at times but credit where its due he was excellent tonight. The criticism of the Grimsby goal above is a tad unfair for me.

Most important thing though is that we've played just about as bad as we could have with that group of players but we've still come out with a point and thats a positive sign although I agree tonights result (and performance) was a disappointment.

The other aspect of concern for me last night was there seemed to be quite a bit of arguing amongst the players, it suprised me with the team spirit that has been on display as of late. Did anyone else notice it.

Hunt and Juppy were awful. I, like many would have liked to see Tilly switch things around a lot earlier but its another point on the board, yes it should have been 3 but come what May we may just need that point......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Nov. 27 2004,00:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2004,23:00)]
[b said:

WS

wink.gif
<!--enthemo-->

Also, *shock-horror*, I thought Mr J Ross had a pretty good game.
I thought he had a good game too.
wow.gif
A few bad decisions but overall he was a lot better than the previous times I've seen him.

how many more times must we suffer hunt in midfield ? the blokes so lathargic. he was dispossessed so many times or slow to get to the ball it was untrue. how on earth can people prefer him to maher is a complete mystery to me.
i would like to see a couple of loan signings come in now to pep up the squad &#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Nov. 27 2004,10:13)]how on earth can people prefer him to maher is a complete mystery to me.
The different preferences I have seen on here have been a complete mystery to me as well. Maher may not be the perfectly complete midfield player but he does lend a lot to the team. A lot. And last night seemed to confirm that. I just wish that the &quot;Burn Maher&#33; Burn him&#33; Burn him&#33;&quot; brigade would come out (just once) with their hands up and say &quot;OK we don&#39;t like him but we do agree that does give something to the side&quot;.

But they won&#39;t ...

WS

I think the most blatant thing last night was the lack of vision we had which highlighted Kevs absence. There was no creativity which i obviously take for granted from Kev.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Nov. 27 2004,02:01)]Only players to come out with any praise are Eastwood who showed some nice touches and scored a cracking goal, he still looks like the only player in our squad who can score from nothing - a true sign of a natural goalscorer.
Would agree with you about Hunt who had an absolute mare. Don&#39;t think there&#39;s anything more to add there other than I hope he starts next game on the bench.

Think the criticism to Jupp is very unfair though as me and several others around me said he was having a much better game than he has recently, but then he obviously made that awful backpass and not sure what was going through his mind.

What I can&#39;t agree with you on though is the game you saw Eastwood play.

If I was giving match ratings Eastwood would have been lucky to get a 5 out of me. Only reason anyone could give him a 6 is because of his goal.
Thats the fourth game running now where he has not looked the same player as we had on-loan. Yes he can produce something special out of nothing as we saw last night, but if he wouldn&#39;t have scored then we would be highlighting that he actually did nothing else for the rest of the game to help out his team-mates. He really needs to start looking for the easy ball, every time he gets it he is looking for the perfect pass. Something I think Tilly will be keen to improve on his game. This is also where he could learn from Maher and realise its not such a tragedy should the ball go sideways.

He is though an obvious talent and by moaning about him highlights how far we have come recently&#33;

The only good thing tonight that we move to 5th in the table, we are lucky to get 1 point, we would lost that game last season. Tilson MUST find new full back as we look weak in that department, Nicky should get 2nd chance - everybody alway get 2nd chance, why not Nicky?

I think their goal was unfortunate more than anything. Gray (after a very poor touch with his chest) whent to knock it back to Bart and it accidently hit Barrett so it was more &#39;unfortunate&#39; rather than anything else ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Nov. 27 2004,00:04)]It was a must win game for promotion, and we did not win it..................................so there
Blimey it&#39;s only November&#33;

Back