• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hong Kong Blue

This was my first game for 6 months, and although I've been carefully following proceedings its not quite the same as seeing the team in the flesh.

Personnel wise we were pretty much the same as 6 months ago. The only changes were in central defence where I got my first glimpse of Adam Barrett in a Southend shirt (the only previous sighting of him I can recall was him scoring - obviously - on his league debut against us) and the return of Spinner. Interestingly this means that most of Tilly's summer buys (ie Nicolau and Grey) have lost their places in the side.

I thought we started slowly, the midfield seemed to be on their heels and comments about Bentley taking time to pick up the pace of the game rang true. However as Bentley started to see more of the ball we started to pick up our game.

I felt we were slightly fortuitous to take the lead: neither side had carved out much of an opening and Kiddie had shaded territory. However a good block in midfield saw the ball break to Dudfield in the inside right channel, he played it to Gower who took (as ever) a few touches before slamming it home.

The goal seemed to give extra confidence to us (Gower in particular), and seconds later an excellent Bentley ball follwowing good work from Bramble saw Dudfield put through the inside left. Lawrie however opted to shoot (tamely into the side netting) when the square ball to Tes looked the better option.

Gower then followed up with a run from his own half beating a handful of defenders before eventually being dispossed. His goal seemed to give him the confidence that he had apparently been lacking so far this season.

The other critical moment came minutes before half time when the large Kidderminster defender Abdou Sall aimed a petulant kick at Lawrie Dudfield. Although the softest of dismissals, it was off the ball and the ref had no alternative but to dismiss Sall, one of the few decisions the hapless Grant Hegley got right all afternoon. Lawrie Dudfield was IMHO however fortunate to escape the ref's attention for needlessly shouldering Sall in retaliation.

Second half was then a different story as Blues run amok. In Sall's absence Tes Bramble was the star of the show, although why we only played the ball into his feet after the 6 feet 4 defender was sent off I don't know. Tes displayed an assured touch, escaping the attentions of the derfenders even when they doubled up on him, his passing was as incisive as I've ever seen it and he clearly knew he had the beating of the defenders at will.

Bentley was also a towering presence. He seems to me to have a heavy first touch, but there is never any doubt that an opposition player is going to get to the ball before him. He dominates midfield physically in a way that Maher for example never/rarely is able to do so. I think he is going to be a massive player for us this season.

With these two along with the overlapping Duncan Jupp to the fore and with the rest of the team playing good passing football we stretched Kidderminster's 10 men. My only worry was that despite all the possession and seemingly carving open the Kiddie defence at will, we were unable to add to the score sheet. OK we may have won, but a quality team would have won this game a lot easier and we should really have substantially improved our goal difference.

With a few legs seeming to tire, Tilly bought on Goal-scoring sensation Wayne Gray and goal scoring sensation Drewe Broughton for the influential pair of Dudfield and Gower. Drewe actually won a few headers against a demoralised Kiddie team, but as we started to look to the more direct approach, rather than our incisive passing football of the previous 35 minutes, the ball started to return a lot quicker and our control of the game seemed to start to slip a little. I think we'd have been better off playing keep-ball but fortunately against a poor Kidderminster team we were able to hold on for all 3 points.

Kiddie were one of my tips to struggle and they didn't disappoint (I hope they don't go down Aggbrough does the best food in the division). Its therefore difficult to read too much into this win. My instinct however is that we will still finish mid-table. Whilst we can play some impressive football we lack the killer touch. Our only goal (despite playing against ten men) came from a lucky ricochet rather than incisive passing, and against better teams we will need to score the killer second goal, although hopefully with the confidence of a few wins under our belt I hope we start to develop that killer touch.

The midfield appears well balanced, I look Dudfield and Bramble up front (but play to their feet!) and its only the defence and keeper (Griminek to return) I would be seeking to tinker with.

Ratings

Flahavan 6 - a quiet day (literally - it would be nice to hear his calls) but he was rooted to his line on two occasions for crosses inside the 6 yard box. We escaped, but I feel our reserve keeper Bentley would have more of a presence in such situations!
Jupp 8.5 overlapped very effectively, causing numerous problems although final ball could be better
Prior 6 looks a little shaky although his experience seems to add something to the backline
Barrett 7.5 did everything asked of him and even looked an occasional threat in attack
Wilson 7 solid, even ventured forward a few times (probably got a nose bleed Napster) and had a couple of long range cracks. Would like to have seen the more attacking Nicolau given a go second half
Bentley 8.5 immense
Maher 8 solid game always passes intelligently against 10 men
Gower 8 goal did him the world of good
Petterfer 7.5 solid enough
Dudfield 8 ditto
Bramble 8.5 only a goal lacking

HK Blue...
In general I agree with your comments. Our inability to kill teams off is a worry as we had enough chances to score 3 or 4 today. However I would give credit to Bramble who (IMO) had his best game this season, just lacked a goal as you said, and the team gained confidence after the goal, particularly Gower.
Very few minus points today, possibly Prior who was caught out a couple of times and his lack of pace is a worry, otherwise a good all-round performance but against a poor opposition.
Mention to MOM Barrett - I dont think he has had a bad game for us yet and its so obvious he WANTS to play for us and do well.
Just one comment about the bench today - 3 defenders (Edwards, Nicolau, Hunt) and not much in the way of creativeness -where were Corbett/Kightly/Husbands ? I think Tilly needs to think more about subs and how they can change the game....

Excellent comments HKB / BS...

Only two things to add, the Kiddie GK to be fair was their best player and a less assured GK would certainly have let in three or four, even though we weren't terribly clinical again.

Wonderful goal by Marky Gower! I said last weekend, he needs to score and maybe this will help his confidence return! he kept plugging away and was very creative... for his confidence, I give him my MotM! [not a fantastic performance overall, but a well taken goal which turned out to be our winner!].

wink.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ Sep. 26 2004,01:26)]Just one comment about the bench today - 3 defenders (Edwards, Nicolau, Hunt) and not much in the way of creativeness -where were Corbett/Kightly/Husbands ? I think Tilly needs to think more about subs and how they can change the game....
Definitely agree that the balance on our bench is all wrong.

I didn't hear who our subs were, but when I looked over at our bench and saw the likes of Edwards, Hunt and Broughton warming it, none of whom are particularly dynamic, it did seem slightly strange.

IMHO the main reason to use your subs is to inject some running into your team when the team is looking a little leaden-footed. Whilst you need cover in case of injury, we have Lewis Hunt who can cover most positions at the back (and Che Wilson is versatile as well). Its therefore strange to have 3 defenders on the bench, and there to be no room for an attacking midfielder like Corbett or Kightley (is he fit?).

It seems to be years since we had a manager who was able to liven up an insipid performance (Saturday's game was anything but) with a couple of well thought out substitutions. Can anyone think of any examples when a Southend sub last changed the course of a game?

Probably have to go back to the super sub trevor fitzpatrick days for that!!, all i remember is 9 times out of 10 he would come on and score as a a sub! anyone know where he is plying his trade now??..
rock.gif

Did he score 9 times?
biggrin.gif

Though he did score a brace in Webb'ys first game back (3rd time round)

I think Gower's goal will kick-start his season and as HKB said it really did give him that confidence booster. I can see him getting another one next weekend against Darlo, so lets hope for some more generous odds from SHRIMPERSBET!!

Kev

tounge.gif

The one real thing that is quite notable about our players at the moment, is their confidence. Whilst it is not a totally well oiled machine yet, there is definitely the makings of one of League 2's top teams at SUFC.

Just look at the last 6 games... we have won 4 of them and in the 2 we lost, we can count ourselves unlucky not to have got a share of the spoils [at least]! We've also scored in every one of these games... 11 for and 7 against! furthermore, 2 points per game [on average, of course!] is promotion form.  
wink.gif

C'MON YOU BLUES!  
blues.gif

I know this is going to sound like a bit of a downer, but although i like Pettefer, i feel that he needs to cross the ball in more, instead of having to wait for Ducan Jupp to catch up an cross the ball in, in which time, they've got more players back to defend. I'm happy to see a major improvement though in the side recently and as technician said 2 points a game is brilliant. Man of the match would have to Bramble though, just for his pure brilliance yesturday.

I agree with almost every comment made so far but am struggling to agree with the man of the match awards. Barret was solid, Bramble had his game of the season and Gower's goal lifted him but yet again I'd award it to the ever improving Mark Bentley. Fast becoming one of my faviourites along with Maher and Drewenaldo. He was everywhere and literally covered every blade of grass. Passed inteligently and never missed a tackle all game. Immense.

Times verdicts;-

Blinder~ Danby
Stinker~ Spencer prior

Southend shots on target 14. (More than any other League, championship or premier side this weekend!)
Can I say that again....Southend shots on target 14. More than any other League, championship or premier side this weekend!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Sep. 27 2004,07:42)]Southend shots on target 14. (More than any other League, championship or premier side this weekend!)
Can I say that again....Southend shots on target 14. (More than any other League, championship or premier side this weekend!)
... what was that again? I am very hard of... vision!  
sad.gif

it's interesting that in some cases, our shots on target was more than some fixtures had in combined efforts... and Boston United only managed 3 shots [1 on target] all game! Roll-on Friday week!!!  
laugh.gif

wow.gif

This was my first game of the season and I was very impressed by the way that the team actually got the ball down and started to play 'good' football.
MotM was definitely Mark Bentley, closely followed by Bramble , who I thought played one of the best games I have witnessed him playing. His skill at holding the ball up and turning his marker, and actually keeping possession was second to none and he distributed the ball to his team mates with a high completion rate. He even managed to beat Sall in the air a number of times, our pace and vision up front has definitely improved from last term.
Our failure to convert some of the chances we created maybe a slight concern but against ,an admittedly, poor Kiddy side we certainly looked good value, (especially for the £1.50 increase in my ticket!).

Back