• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend 2 - 4 Barnsley - FA Cup

I think the offside call might be correct, the rule is that there have to be 2 players in front of the attacker, usually they have a man on the line but the keeper is actually behind McCoulsky so there's only one defender in front of him, and it looks like the ball may have nicked off him on the way in.

Edit: I've managed to pause the video as the shot comes in, the picture quality isn't great so you'll need to zoom in but it looks very close to touching McCoulsky's right boot on the way through

Edit 2: looking at the better quality BBC highlights I can't see any touch from McCoulsky so it looks the wrong decision.

Last edited:
I think the offside call might be correct, the rule is that there have to be 2 players in front of the attacker, but the keeper is actually behind McCoulsky and it looks like the ball may have nicked off him on the way in.

I don't make you right. The keeper and a defender are in front of our lads. They are onside and have every right to interfere with play

I don't make you right. The keeper and a defender are in front of our lads. They are onside and have every right to interfere with play
The keeper is definitely not in front of McCoulsky when the shot is taken, he's at least half a yard behind him and it looks like McCoulsky gets a touch on it on the way through.

A total capitulation from the officials has given Powell his excuse
We’re in a straight knock out game against a team in our division and we’ve played for a draw with 1 up top for 75 minutes. ****ing shambles

Everyone booed when cox went off and Robinson came on at 3-1 down the game should of ended 3-3 masterful tactics

Seen a video from behind the goal, didn’t take any touch of any player, the defender was never going to block it.

Terrible, terrible decision.

BBC Essex, Paul Clark said 'to be fair they've given it a real go since it went 3-1.' And that is the problem, we only start attacking when we are two goals behind. It's a home FA cup game vs a team in our division that beat us narrowly 1-0 only weeks ago. For Christ sake play at a high tempo and attack them from the start. Nearly every successful team get in front and go for another to kill it, not sit on it. That's a philosophy, not about ability. So frustrating..

Powell got the team wrong IMO today. Why were Hyam and Bunn, two of the better players on Tuesday, benched? It doesn't help that the two replacements played so poorly.

The subs other than Bunn were weird too. Why take off Cox, he was having a good game? Leaving us with the Donkey duo upfront was like waving a white flag.

What's wrong with Dru? Injured? Didn't look like it to me. He was awful, nearly every pass went astray and trying far too many 'Hollywood' passes instead of just keeping possession. Badly af fault giving the ball away prior to the 3rd Barnsley goal too. I hope the hype hasn't gone to his head, we need the Dru from last season back.

Disappointing that 3 of the goals came following corners, whilst individually all the defenders did okay today, as a unit from set pieces we looked all over the place. Oxley seems to be suffering from a crisis of confidence right now (ironically when we need him most), which didn't help.

Oxley 5 - Looked badly at fault for their second. I don't think he was fouled but will have to see the replay to be sure.
Bwomono MOM 8 - The one shining light, as good as he was on Tuesday. Keep it up Elvis!
Turner 6 - Much better than his Blackpool horror show. Unlucky not to score at the end. (Bloody linesman, didn't see any infringement).
White 6 - Did okay
Hendrie 6 - Left exposed in the second half but largely stood up well. One excellent cross which nobody bothered attacking.
Kightly 4 - Anonymous
Yearwood 4 - Poorest game for ages (I wasn't at Wimbledon BTW.)
Mantom 5 - Average. Not captain material, stood around with a hang-dog expression after their 3rd. Needs to be inspiring others but seemed to do the opposite.
Dieng 6 - Didn't win enough in the air but kept trying and got a goal.
McLaughlin 6 - Not as good as Tuesday but certainly better than his early season form.
Cox 8 - Never stopped working and used the ball intelligently, unlike some others.

Subs - Not enough time to rate, Bunn played a part in Turner's 'goal'.

Seen a video from behind the goal, didn’t take any touch of any player, the defender was never going to block it.

Terrible, terrible decision.

It's been mentioned, and there is a video of the goal and the keeper was well off his line and only one Barnsley player on the line with 2 Southend Players making them in an offside position. Turner was onside but I guess they are saying the 2 Southend players on the line were offside and presumably interfering with the defender. Paul Clark says he has seen them given and seen them disallowed. In my opinion, they weren't interfering with the defenders field of vision and he would never have got to Turners header anyway

Everyone booed when cox went off and Robinson came on at 3-1 down the game should of ended 3-3 masterful tactics

How about keep Cox on and give him another striker up front with him. I love Powell but playing one striker up top on his own, and a short one like Cox is never going to work

How about keep Cox on and give him another striker up front with him. I love Powell but playing one striker up top on his own, and a short one like Cox is never going to work
It worked tuesday and 2 up top v Wimbledon didnt, he can’t win

The issue we have is that plan A is out the window with Hopper missing the rest of the season and we clearly don’t have a plan B. As long as we continue to play the same tactics by lumping it at Cox and hoping he controls and creates we are screwed.

Don’t get me wrong, Barnsley were a good side but they’re in our division in the top 6 and made us look pony. They got the ball down, played good football, always had a man over and bullied us with their physique.

We meanwhile played long ball.

I like Powell, but what is his thought process? Why drop Bunn? Why take off Cox at 1-3 down and bring on Robinson RM? Why only sub at 75 mins?

Next Saturday could be a very long 90 mins...

Honestly Bunn coming on (and maybe Dru going off since he misplaced almost every pass) was all we needed, for all their height Barnsley aren't very good at dealing with crossing and given that neither Kightly or Macca know how to cross we weren't able to exploit that weakness until Bunn came on, if he'd started I think we might have won.

Turner goal was onside ( wait until you see replays later ) However that would mask the performance which again we were way second best to a team in the top half of League one I just do not get the one up front idea ... The way the subs were used was at best barmy Cox needed support not the hook for players that have not cut it this year Dreading next week I would like to think we could get a result a Luton and something at Portsmouth but I just can not

The team was poorly set up by the Manager. Players brought in that looked out of form, players taken out that played well last time. Diang is not a forward and the Barnsley back four could pick us off and put in an unchallenged pass forward. The linesman may have knocked off the third goal, but don't let this cover over the facts that we were playing 70/75 minutes completely out of the game and the atmosphere was clearly showing how the home fans felt.

It was "interesting" that the East Stand spent more time getting on the backs of our players and managers then they did anything else. You know, if you are going to gob off at our guys all the time, why don't you **** off into the away end. It wouldn't be so bad if once in a while you said something, anything, encouraging. Same voices. Probably don't wear the trousers in their own houses.

The game. Barnsley were better than us in all departments. Helped by having an extra man (or men) for large periods of the game. Oh god, that referee was absolutely dreadful. I've seen better on the Borough Combination. Several times I found myself yelling at him, I don't generally do that. Not competent.

Us. Well, where to start. Not sure what SCP has to do to win. He played Cox up front on his own. This after everyone was pretty much saying Theo is dogdoodah and McGoal a poor immitation. I am sure the same collection of intellectuals would have been ranting if he'd started either. We don't have Tom Hopper, we can't get a replacement for a month.... we have to play what we have.

Dieng..... played AM, and for parts of the second half was almost a centre forward. I thought he did ok, and that may be the way we balance the books.

I am going to sponsor a game one day, only so I can give John White the MotM. He was our best player (again) today. No one seems to notice.

And dya know, that place exploded when Turner scored. I've seen what you've seen, its a perfectly good goal. Should have been 3-3, should have been a replay that we probably wouldn't have won anyway.

I don't expect much next week at Fratton Park, but the following three games are absolutely crucial. Maybe if we got behind them at home......

What a poor attendance and atmosphere ....seems the support has already decided that this is going to be a relegation battle season and that we'd get beaten by Barnsley which is very worrying . Poor goals conceded and Powells tactics, team selections and substitutions questionable . Can't knock the fight of the players which showed when we should have equalised,but we were bullied all afternoon and we're second best in a home tie with a team in our own division.
Another s*** Saturday night! and with Ron's plans in the offing just what he wouldn't want

Back